Author Topic: Xmas and the pox  (Read 2949 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Xmas and the pox
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
Well, chances are the 9-month-old baby has been vaccinated and the adults have all had it.  No, you can't know for sure (my husband has never had it, despite being exposed when his brother had it when they were kids), but the chances are pretty good that they've all had it.  The main risk would be *if* the SIL was trying to get pregnant and maybe was and didn't know it.  And even then, given that your son will be past the risk of contagion... what I'd probably do would be to verify with the doctor, "As I mentioned at our appointment, my son started acting ill on this day and come out with the spots on this day, so it'll have been this many days after the first spot.  What are the chances that he's still contagious?"  And then call everybody involved and tell them exactly what your doctor said.  It might be something where the doctor says that the chances he's still contagious are pretty nil, but he might also say that the chances are low but there's still a definite risk, and it might make a difference to the SIL which of those it is.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
Chances are the 9 month Baby has not been vaccinated.

Here in Minnesota, the first shot to prevent chicken pox cannot be given until after 12 months. Then there is a booster shot around age 5.

I would recommend you stay home.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

ClaireC79

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 11:59:30 AM »
We're in the UK, the varicella vaccine is not given here

Calypso

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
We're in the UK, the varicella vaccine is not given here

Then please stay home this year.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
I would be concerned about even the remotest possibility of infecting the pregnant relative.

SO much this.

You don't have to totally cancel Christmas this year.  Just delay it a bit and do it another time when there isn't a chance of passing something like this along.

I had to do that this past Father's Day.  There was the slightest chance I had pneumonia, and my Dad absolutely cannot get pneumonia.  So I just asked if we could postpone Father's Day a week until I was sure I was clear.

nalapuppy

• always drink upstream from the herd
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
If your son is past the contagion part, there is no reason to stay home.  But clarify with your doctor how long your son is contagious.  If it is a narrow window, then err on the side of caution and stay home. 

There is no reason to miss out on any festivities if he is well beyond being contagious.

Minmom3

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Just keep in mind that yesterdays pox may NOT be ALL the pox...  When our three had it, in two waves, pox showed for for several days.  Not a fun time.

IMO, you need to stay home.  It's really not worth the risk to others, be they babies, possibly pregnant adults, or the elderly.  Chicken pox can lead to shingles, which can last for months and be hideously painful.  My DH and Mother both get it, and for my mother, it lasts for months.  DH only has an episode for days, but it's not a fun time for anybody.  It's pretty unhappy timing for you and your family, but there IS no good time for it.

If the itching gets really intolerable, see if the Dr can prescribe some Atarax.  Calamine lotion and oatmeal baths did zip for my kids, only the Atarax helped with the awful itching.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
Even in the US there are people who forgo the vaccine. I think that in geral the chance of pregnancy, a young child, etc. and a just recovereing child - I would probably stay home.  At the very least I would let people know.  I also wouldn't stop on my way there or back anywhere there was a chance to run into other people who could be infected.
And Minom is right about  the first pox not always being the last pox.

doodlemor

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Stay home.  Absolutely.  Don't take any chances.

I knew someone whose baby was born with blindness and some other anomalies that were attributed to chicken pox while the mother was pregnant.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
But if the SIL knows there is no chance she is pregnant and has already had the chicken pox,  if the baby isn't going to be there and everyone else has also had the chicken pox, I don't see any reason why the OP and family need to stay home, if her little one is feeling OK.  But, IMO, it isn't the OP's call.  Give everyone else the facts, find out who is actually going to be there (OP said she wasn't sure if the baby was going to be there) and let them know if there is any concern, the OP and family will stay home.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ClaireC79

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »
SIL BTW has rung me and said she's had it and 'see you boxing day' so am pretty sure she is not pregnant

I don't think my cousin's little one is going to be there - last time her parents came down she didn't come and went to her inlaws

You can NOT catch shingles from chickenpox - so the shingles aspect does not bother me at all.  If my cousin's little one is going to be there I will not be going.  If however there are only going to be adults (and my children) and all those are immune then I think I will - providing he is well.  My parents will warn any friends who may drop in (same as I've been doing when people come to our door)

The main problems where chickenpox causes blindness to the unborn is if the baby is born within 2 weeks of the mother contracting chickenpox (a baby exposed between 20 and 36 weeks can develop shingles without ever getting chickenpox), but both the two who are of child bearing age have replied to me that they are both immune and not concerned I doubt either thinks they may be.

If he has any unscabbed spots  we also would not be going - he is confined to the house at present and will be until fully scabbed
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:10:33 PM by ClaireC79 »

mrkitty

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »
***removed by mr kitty for fear of hijacking thread. Please accept my apology***
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:27:46 PM by mrkitty »
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

ilrag

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
Well, chances are the 9-month-old baby has been vaccinated and the adults have all had it.  No, you can't know for sure (my husband has never had it, despite being exposed when his brother had it when they were kids), but the chances are pretty good that they've all had it.  The main risk would be *if* the SIL was trying to get pregnant and maybe was and didn't know it.  And even then, given that your son will be past the risk of contagion... what I'd probably do would be to verify with the doctor, "As I mentioned at our appointment, my son started acting ill on this day and come out with the spots on this day, so it'll have been this many days after the first spot.  What are the chances that he's still contagious?"  And then call everybody involved and tell them exactly what your doctor said.  It might be something where the doctor says that the chances he's still contagious are pretty nil, but he might also say that the chances are low but there's still a definite risk, and it might make a difference to the SIL which of those it is.

As an adult who missed the vaccine (they didn't have it when I was a kid) and also has never had chicken pox I think it's best to let everyone know when your kids have chicken pox.

Drawberry

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
Personally I would chose to stay home. Even if your son is no longer contagious I really don't think he's going to be in the best of spirits and will likely be tired and run down.

I had the chicken pox at around 7-11 years old and then got it a second time as an adult, so yes it's not only possible for adults to catch it but for people to catch it twice. My mother theorizes that when I was a child my bout with chicken pox was not as severe as most children end up with and I hadn't built up the usual 'immunity' to it. Either way, it was not pleasant.

When it comes to sick children I personally would rather my family member stay home and let the child rest up fully then have a little boy feeling miserable and sick in my home.