Author Topic: Holiday party  (Read 1498 times)

LilacGirl1983

Holiday party
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
Just wondering ladies. We are going to hubby's big family thing..aunts/uncles ect tonight...We are bringing one gift per instructions used but functional for the gift swap..now they are saying no supper (it starts at 4pm! and told us about an hour ago) but hour d vours (Sp?) and to bring something to pass...and its today..we have nothing but what our planned food is for the week. Would you ladies bring some thing? Eat before? Not sure how long it will last..I heard until 7 so right during supper time..I am not sure if its hormones or just being cranky but I am slightly put out by the last minute request...any ideas what to bring thats easy and cheap? Would you ladies  bring something?

yokozbornak

Re: Holiday party
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »
I would probably bring something just so I would know I had something to eat.  I would do something easy like a veggie or fruit tray, cheese and crackers, or an easy taco dip (I add a packet of taco season to sour cream and then make a layered dip of refried beans, the sour cream mixture, lettuce, tomato, and cheese and serve with tortilla chips).

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
No advice, but I would be SERIOUSLY annoyed if I was informed 4 hours before a party that I have to bring a dish. Christmas Eve or not. But ESPECIALLY Christmas Eve. There is not enough money for me to go to the grocery store today.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

onyonryngs

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
Yes, I'd bring something.  But when I go to a family Christmas party I usually plan to bring something, whether it's a bottle of wine, cookies, etc.  I would just use the "I didn't have time to cook anything" if all I had was the bottle of wine to bring. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
I'd take something packaged and easy - chips and salsa, cookies, crackers and cheese - and hope that I already had it in the house. If not, I'd be dashing off to get it on the way, and checking that the store would be open!

kudeebee

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »
Run by the grocery store and pick up a cheese ball or cheese dip or hummus  and crackers.

TamJamB

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
It won't do you any good now, but here's a tip from when I was a young housewife: we had a tight budget and I kept pretty closely to my planned menus, but I always kept an extra dozen eggs on hand to make devilled eggs in case of last minute potlucks. Devilled eggs are cheap and easy and almost everybody likes them.

Jones

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »
A box of mac n' cheese  >:D

Seriously, though, if you have any canned or frozen veggies on hand, I'd bring a bowl of those with butter and pepper. They should know that if they want better food, they need more notice.