Author Topic: Is there a way to get rid of crystal and china?  (Read 1765 times)

mas2200

Is there a way to get rid of crystal and china?
« on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:24 PM »
I came to E-hell because I could think of no other place that might be able to advise me. 

My husband and I have been married just under 11 years and we received a ton of crystal for our wedding.  We didn't register for any of it and I've never used it.  I also have some china that was forced on me after a relative died.  Is there a place I can go to sell this stuff?  Somehow I don't see it selling in a garage sale.  I'd love to free up the cupboard space and make a little money.

Amara

Re: Is there a way to get rid of crystal and china?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
CraigsList is your best bet but I think after Christmas it's going to be a bit harder to get rid of. There's also eBay, but that's a hassle (packing crystal and china). Do online sites that offer replacements buy them? If not, do you have a consignment antiques-type shop in your area?

crella

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »
You could look into Replacements Ltd.com. They buy china, I am not sure about crystal. I just sold them my mother's Buchan Thistleware pottery last month. There was one large bowl, a 1-quart casserole, 9" vase, tea tile, 6 wine glasses, and 8 cake plates and we got $260 for the lot. If they have a lot of a particular item in stock, the prices will be very low, or they will decline purchase. The Buchan coffee cups would have brought only $3 each, and they declined to purchase the candle holders , so I took them home with me. Better than one could get at a garage sale, I thought. They require professional packing, so I took mine to the local Pack N Ship.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
I'd probably use the web to get a good idea of the value and then put it on Craigslist.

Amara was posting at the same time I was, so, what she said.  :)

crella

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
http://www.replacements.com/misc/packship.htm

Here's the link for purchase. We didn't have time to follow an auction, and ship. We had to have the house emptied by a certain date, and I had to get home (I don't live in the US). It was worth it to us to be able to ship it off and then have the check sent to my post office box. If you have the time to follow auctions or Craig's List , you might get better prices, but I don't know.

They also buy crystal.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »
I'd try a consignment shop as well. My mom had my great aunt's china, which she never really liked, but was service for 12, with every serving piece imaginable! she had a tough time selling it; places like replacements don't pay very much at all, and she had consigned it several times, with no luck.

Finally, a couple of years ago, she was able to consign it, but even then, only got about $400-600 for the entire set. but she was happy to get something for it, and be rid of it! I then gave her my grandmother's (her mom's) china, which was for 8. I told her, any more than 8, we're doing paper plates ;)

magician5

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »
Salvation Army?

Regift? (Where do you think the people who gave it to you got it in the first place?)
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 11:43:34 PM »
My brother has already told me I am getting my mother's china when the time comes, because she has every serving piece imaginable for the Lenox Holiday Pattern and he refuses to take it.  http://www.lenox.com/cat/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod&pid=5892&kf=55

I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it - I have my own china that I like.  But I have to imagine with the AMOUNT of it she has that it's worth a decent amount so I wouldn't want to just give it away.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 07:00:20 AM »
Ebay can be good- consider selling your china separately instead of as a set as people often need to replace just one or two items in a set. You can get more for selling cups saucers and teaplates as "trios" than as a complete set.
NE England

gmama

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
Hubby and I took all of our unwanted crystal to the pawnshop down the street. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
Ebay can be good- consider selling your china separately instead of as a set as people often need to replace just one or two items in a set. You can get more for selling cups saucers and teaplates as "trios" than as a complete set.

i got the sugar bowl and creamer for my china on ebay; WAY less than i would have paid at replacements or some place like that. i think both, even purchased separately, cost me less than $25, including shipping. My pattern isn't very fancy; its by Noritake, but still very pretty.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
I've bought and sold via replacements.com and find them very reputable.  I've also bought china on eBay.  I'd suggest getting a quote from replacements.com and then seeing if you could sell for higher via eBay.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
I'd look around and see if you can find someone local who sells online for consignment.  (Often antique shops have someone who do this, or at least know someone who can.)  All you'd have to do is to drop off the china and crystal and they take pictures, write the listing, and sell on eBay or elsewhere.  You do have to pay a percentage in consignment fees, but you're likely to get quite a bit more for your stuff (by having a well-written listing and good pictures) than you'd get if you just tried to sell them yourself without any previous experience.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
I second that.  And Replacements does do crystal.  I have a set that needs a couple of items and when I next have the chance -- and a paycheck -- I will do the search.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »
Well, you could send it to me.  ;)

No?

I sold all my MIL's Lenox on EBay - made a bundle.