Author Topic: Keeping track for inheritance?  (Read 2343 times)

QuiltLady

Re: Keeping track for inheritance?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
Nice to read all the different stories.  About the tickets... I have no idea what type of arrangement there was since it was 30 years ago but I was quite surprised to see it!  I was embarrassed and uncomfortable that I was privy to everyone else's little amounts.  Except for the one sister I don't think it was more than a few thousand each, at most. My brother, the executor, was also absolutely sure that he had paid our father back for something listed but, he let it go.

For my children I don't plan on doing anything like this yet.  It's about even now and unless something very significant changes, they can expect to split my estate evenly 3 ways.

We didn't argue about anything and I got the few things that mattered to me at all.  A ruby and diamond ring that my father gave my mother as that is also my birthstone, a quilt made by my grandmother, and 80 quilt blocks made by my great-grandmother.  As my ID says, I am a quilter too and I treasure these things.  If it wasn't for the one sister who constantly borrowed, I wouldn't have given it a second thought about anyone paying back the estate.

ETA:  As an aside, my sister and her husband promptly bought a Cadillac when they got the first check of just closing bank accounts, before my parents' paid off house was sold.  At the time she was still in the house that they eventually got forclosed on.  They are now in their 50s/60s and renting again. 

I worry for her future but not enough to get myself dragged down too.  They asked me to put her husband on one of my credit cards as an authorized user so that it would show up on their credit.  I politely declined.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:27:35 AM by QuiltLady »