Author Topic: What was your favorite gift this year?  (Read 12152 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
What was your favorite gift this year?
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
I got some really cool stuff from my mom, but a couple things really stood out and I love, so i was wondering what everyone else got, that they really like.

I got ove gloves; knit gloves with silicone to help grip hot pans etc.  My mom has them, and I've been using them all week. I know I'll get a lot of use out of them.  she also got me something whimsical, yet functional.  From the MOMA catalog, this leather kangeroo, which holds paper clips etc in its pouches, and can hold notes in its mouth. She thought it was cute, and that I'd like it, and she was correct!

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Re: What was your favorite gift this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 01:37:12 PM »
I got a WooLee Winder for my spinning wheel.  I'm absolutely thrilled beyond words with it.  :)

I also went out and took advantage of a Christmas Eve sale at the local craft shop and bought myself a little pottery wheel, a bunch of sculpey and fimo, and some sculpey glaze.  I'm hoping to make it back to the store tomorrow to pick up more sculpey.  I'm almost through what I've got.

I haven't cracked into the pottery wheel yet, as I need to clean up my work space first. 

Mr K and I got Little Knit a puppy toy that jumps around and barks.  She is completely in love.  We both knew she would be, though.  She fell in love with that thing the first time she saw it at the toy store.  I've got my money on Mr K breaking down and buying her a real puppy in about 5 years or so.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:38:48 PM by Knitterly »

magicdomino

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 01:41:21 PM »
$50 gift card for Home Depot, my home away from home.   :)  This year has been a particularly expensive one for home repairs, and I guess my brother remembered my grumbling.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 01:43:13 PM »
$50 gift card for Home Depot, my home away from home.   :)  This year has been a particularly expensive one for home repairs, and I guess my brother remembered my grumbling.
I love that (that your brother remembered, not that it's been expensive for repairs).  I find the very best/nicest gifts are the ones that come from someone who listened to you earlier in the year and remembered when it was time to buy a gift.  :)

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »
Kindle Paperwhite :-) I am very excited about this... I never saw it coming, but always wanted an e-reader! I thought was beyond my reach with no smartphone or wi-fi, but apparently not!  My BF is getting lots of extra squeezes :-)

Also, my mom made each of us (4) kids a personalized 2013 calendar from shutterfly that is so awesome and thoughtful - I've looked through mine 17 times at least! 

And Pop gave me a hot pink and yellow hoodie he picked especially for me... And surprisngly, I love it. And it was so cute he chose it himself with no Mom influence.

Hope everyone is having a lovely, relaxing, happy, peaceful day!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:52:52 PM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
WulfieMan and WulfiePartner conspired together with one of my favorite needlework designers to get me the Echos of Elizabeth sampler kit http://www.gayannrogers.com/samplers1.html. I first saw this piece years ago when she taught it at a needlework conference but there was no way that I could take it as the conference was WAY more than I could afford and there was no guarantee that I could even get into the class. I had been hoping for a while that she would offer it for sale but when she did, there was only a couple of kits and they were sold out before I could get one.

I also got the miniature portrates of Mary, QoS and Bess of Hardwick. http://www.gayannrogers.com/girls.html These are very special to me because I portray Bess of Hardwick at Ren Faires and we did the court of Mary, QoS for years. I wanted to get them when they went up for sale but due to being very sick at the time, I just could not handle it on top of the medical bills.

Both of these are a really big deal as the designer is her own publisher/mailing house and only sells her work 1-2 times a year. Even then, she only puts select pieces up for sale and a lot of times, only for a couple of hours!

juanita

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
Hi everyone. Happy holidays. I got a kitchen aid!! Yay  :)Using it already to make homemade mashed potatoes.  I'm loving it. I've been longing for one forever. Yay for my hubby.

clio917

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
My parents got DH and me a tabletop catapult kit. :) it also came with a little book with plans for miniature trebuchets, ballistae, and such. I know what I'll be working on in the back yard when it finally stops raining  :D (that would be around June...)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
I realized a few months ago the I have the two newest Foo Fighter's CDs, and I have a number on their songs in mp3, but I don't have any of their older CDs. I asked DH for a card table, puzzle, box of my favorite k-cups and a Foo cd or two. He bought me FIVE of their older CDs.  ;D

He spoiled me because last year we were broke and decided to buy for the kids and extended family but not each other. I was fine with that, I didn't need or want anything, but he said it was nice to be able to splurge a little bit this year.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »
The most fun gift was the household gift of an electric keyboard.  It's a Yamaha, and has nearly 400 'voices' and special effects.  I had a blast playing with it yesterday!  The footsteps, screams, squeaking doors, heartbeats...  it's like it's almost designed to created haunted house effects.   ;D

Today we're picking up a rental motorcycle for Housemate's son, who's staying till after new year, and it's his major gift.  The roads here in Tasmania are almost designed for bikes, and he's never been here before, so it should be a great week of riding around and checking the scenery.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
BG: A couple of months ago I decided to get Bagman a Kindle for his birthday, which was Nov. 29. My friend N. offered to lend me hers so I could get familiar with it and show Bagman how they work when I gave him his. Which I did.

My birthday was Dec. 11. N. and her family came for Christmas dinner, and N. presented me with a combination birthday/Christmas card that said, "Enjoy (Kindle's name)!" That's right, the loaner Kindle is now mine! That was my birthday present -- the accessories are my Christmas gift.

N.'s husband spent part of the afternoon getting my WiFi set up so I'm good to go downloading books to my new toy. If I were in "Dances With Wolves," my name today would be "Grins Like Fool."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »
A Big Bang Theory fact or fiction trivia card game. I can get my geek on now! :)

mmswm

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »
BG: I stayed with a friend in Washington state while my sons were having hand/wrist surgery.  I stress bake, so I baked a LOT of cookies while I was there.  My friend also did not have any wooden spoons, but her grandson (16 months) managed to swipe one from her mother's house, and I used it all the time.

My friend gave me a wooden spoon with the words "Life is short, eat cookies" burned into it. 

Of course, I also love the dog, who's technically a gift to my oldest son, but is really a family gift.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Kariachi

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
A few months ago, my sister and I stopped by a fashion outlet so she could get new shoes, and while we were there I decided to browse the scarves. She was curious, so I explained that scarves are my favorite accessory, but I have a really hard time finding ones that I don't find ugly or tacky, and that I'd spent the last few years looking for one that was a decent shade of darker green.

This morning, I got to open a bag containing a gorgeous mossy/forest green scarf with knit tassels. I wore it all afternoon; it's easily the most comfortable of my scarves.

Best Christmas present of the past few years.  ;D
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »
iPad Mini!!  LOVE IT!