Author Topic: What was your favorite gift this year?  (Read 12741 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: What was your favorite gift this year?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
I got some nice things but honestly some of my favorite gifts were ones that I gave to other people - and their reactions.  I gave my nephew some paperback books from a series he was reading and a blanket to snuggle under.  I got several hugs and he spent the better part of the afternoon reading.  I gave my niece a tutu and she declared it "just what I wanted". SInce she is just a preschooler she hasn't really learned to fake enthusiasm for gifts she doesn't like so when she says that you know you did well.  I also gave her some bath stuff and she asked a few times during the day if she couldn't go home and take a bath. Seeing them that enthusiastic about their gifts was really the best part for me.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »
My DH got me a huge jar of bath salts and a tray that lays across the tub while you take a bath. The tray holds a book and a space for a glass of wine or something. I love taking baths.

My grandma got me a gift certificate to the hair salon I always go to...I love that place!

My in-laws gave me a small serving bowl that is made of aluminum, made by a local artist. He is well known in our city for designing things with a sun face on it and it's just beautiful! (Here's my "buy local" plug: www.dondrummstudios.com)
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »
Dh got me a Canon powershot! :D I hadn't even asked for a new camera though my Nikon coolpix's battery compartment had broke its catch (apparently a problem with them) so I'd been taping it down which can be a bit of a pain.

It came with a battery charger, small tripod, case, lens cleaner and an SD card! I also got 3 $10 gift cards for Amazon, a check from my MIL, fuzzy socks, kitty slippers, pirate pj's (black top, gray pants with black skulls and crossbones on them.) and Minnie Mouse pj's.  She attached gift receipts to everything which is good cause I'm not a huge Minnie fan but she said the Animal pj's I said I liked weren't available in my size at her Target so I'll see if I can find them at ours. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »
KitchenAid stand mixer! I have to go home and cook now. :D

Drawberry

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »
My favorite gift is without a doubt Jiji, the  1 year old American Short Hair Boyfriend got for me.

Jiji was confiscated by the city police in August, his previous owners had chained him up outside in their yard with no shelter, food, or water. He was also found with injuries on his face from either trying to escape or fighting off other animals. (They've since healed ). While at the shelter he took so badly to being in a cage that he would rub against the bars causing his face to become swollen. Eventually he had to be moved to a larger cage meant for the cats that have been at the shelter a long time and need the space, but no one showed any interest in adopting him.

1) No one wanted a black cat (which are the hardest to adopt out and the ones most commonly put to sleep)
2) him being a young very energetic cat with no prior 'home' kitty etiquette.

He's litter trained but was behaving in a 'play fighting' manner at the shelter, so no one wanted to adopt him knowing he might take effort to train. Since he was kept chained outside for the first 6 months of his life I believe he just has no concept of the sort of behavior an older cat who had a prior home life would have had.

Because he was being overlooked for so long he was listed as an 'urgent adoption' and it sounds like he was getting close to having to be put down as a combination of people just not showing interest in him and him becoming worse off from being kept in cage after cage.

We adopted him this past weekend with the shelter volunteers warning us he isn't a 'lap cat' and witnessing his play fight behaviors. everyone really loved Jiji but he was getting harder to adopt the longer he was kept in cages without any training.

From the moment he was in our home it was like he lived here all along. All he's done is lay with Boyfriend and I, purr in our laps, and stay by our feet. He mews and chatters with us like he's having a perfectly logical conversation. His previously excitable behavior has toned down drastically and he has not nibbled or scratched once. It's like he just came right in and was home right away. No time to 'adjust', no hiding under the sofa, no being scared and nervous, he just fit right into our home right away and spent the whole of Sunday begging for tummy rubs.

Everyone at the shelter will be so happy to know how amazingly well he's come into our lives and see that he's like a completely different cat. He's loving, playful, and just such a wonderful little furry guy that I can't believe no one would give him a chance. He's just a wonderful pet to have and I am so glad that we where able to give him a good home.

I plan on making a big batch of cookies to bring over to the shelter volunteers this weekend, they knew Jiji was a good guy and just needed someone to give him a chance.

Rohanna

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
A mug from a good friend that says "friends are the family you choose". Sounds completely cheesy- but given the treatment I've had over the years from much of my "family", compared to the long friendships I have with a few of my good friends- not entirely inappropriate. Another friend, who's extended family didn't even phone her on Xmas never mind invite her over anywhere, agreed. She's family to me :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

snowdragon

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »
Joann's Gift Cards.   I use them year around to take classes.

Redsoil

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »
A drive day, to be taken in 2013 (it's a combined Xmas and BD gift).  I get to drive a Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8, Ferrari F430 , Lotus Elise Club Racer, and an Aston Martin Vantage Roadster.  Woohoo!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
Real estate!

Not technically a Christmas gift, but the King and I are closing this week, and decided that was our Christmas present to each other.

turtleIScream

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 08:07:24 AM »
My dad asked me for wish lists for my family. I gave nice varied lists so they could choose price/style, and we could be surprised. We were definitely surprised when we got everything on our lists!

My husband arranged for deep clean from a housekeeping service. They are coming next week!

Like Sharnita, my very favorite gift is one I gave. I bought a horseback riding session at a local stable for my 6 y/o niece. Her reaction to a gift certificate wasn't great (she can't read yet), but once her mom told her what it was for, she was pretty darn excited!

MrTango

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »
On the receiving end: A baseball and batting helmet each with autographs of about 20 current and former Twins (Major League Baseball) players.

On the giving end: A home-made ornament with a Tuba on it, given to a cousin who is the only Tuba player in his high school marching band.  He was thrilled.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »
A bright orange hooded sweatshirt with a big, bold 'Brooklyn' across the front.  On the ships, we like to be boosters for our town and my sweats were getting a little old.

Actually, everything we received was great.  Nephew sent a three pack of good wine, SIL provided neat socks and a set of tea towels that are gorgeous and Niece provided more socks as well as a bottle of chili vinegar that is evil, I tell you, evil.  :D

suzieQ

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »
A Kindle Fire HD! Love it! I already have a 10" Toshiba Thrive and it is awesome but it is a bit bulky for carrying around. I can just slip the Kindle in my purse and off I go :)
I've already played a game on it and read my first book on it, as well as browsed the web a bit :)

I got this one early but every time I hear the sound it makes, I declare "I love that door!" LOL  I got a dog door a couple of weeks ago and it is so awesome not having to get up and let the dog and cat in and out fifty times a day!
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

JennJenn68

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »
A pair of beautiful dragonfly earrings from my son.  He didn't even think to tell me that he had made them himself until several hours later, in a casual way.  Extra-special all round, and made a day where I was very ill indeed almost bearable!

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
My favorite gift is without a doubt Jiji, the  1 year old American Short Hair Boyfriend got for me.

Jiji was confiscated by the city police in August, his previous owners had chained him up outside in their yard with no shelter, food, or water. He was also found with injuries on his face from either trying to escape or fighting off other animals. (They've since healed ). While at the shelter he took so badly to being in a cage that he would rub against the bars causing his face to become swollen. Eventually he had to be moved to a larger cage meant for the cats that have been at the shelter a long time and need the space, but no one showed any interest in adopting him.

1) No one wanted a black cat (which are the hardest to adopt out and the ones most commonly put to sleep)
2) him being a young very energetic cat with no prior 'home' kitty etiquette.

He's litter trained but was behaving in a 'play fighting' manner at the shelter, so no one wanted to adopt him knowing he might take effort to train. Since he was kept chained outside for the first 6 months of his life I believe he just has no concept of the sort of behavior an older cat who had a prior home life would have had.

Because he was being overlooked for so long he was listed as an 'urgent adoption' and it sounds like he was getting close to having to be put down as a combination of people just not showing interest in him and him becoming worse off from being kept in cage after cage.

We adopted him this past weekend with the shelter volunteers warning us he isn't a 'lap cat' and witnessing his play fight behaviors. everyone really loved Jiji but he was getting harder to adopt the longer he was kept in cages without any training.

From the moment he was in our home it was like he lived here all along. All he's done is lay with Boyfriend and I, purr in our laps, and stay by our feet. He mews and chatters with us like he's having a perfectly logical conversation. His previously excitable behavior has toned down drastically and he has not nibbled or scratched once. It's like he just came right in and was home right away. No time to 'adjust', no hiding under the sofa, no being scared and nervous, he just fit right into our home right away and spent the whole of Sunday begging for tummy rubs.

Everyone at the shelter will be so happy to know how amazingly well he's come into our lives and see that he's like a completely different cat. He's loving, playful, and just such a wonderful little furry guy that I can't believe no one would give him a chance. He's just a wonderful pet to have and I am so glad that we where able to give him a good home.

I plan on making a big batch of cookies to bring over to the shelter volunteers this weekend, they knew Jiji was a good guy and just needed someone to give him a chance.

That absolutely warmed my heart!!! :)