Author Topic: What was your favorite gift this year?  (Read 13393 times)

MOM21SON

Re: What was your favorite gift this year?
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
DH and I have been saving for well over a year for a new roof.  I am so sick of leaks!  Well a few weeks ago him and a coworker got 5 numbers on the lotto.  Our roof will be replaced the second week in January!  I got a B Makowsky bag and a coach wallet I have been drooling over.  DS got a laptop and DH is very happy with his kindle paperwhite.

DS was very surprised with the laptop but I think his biggest surprise was his new hockey skates.  He had been showing me the pair he wanted forever.  About 3 weeks ago he wanted to show me one more time.  So we went in the  pro shop and they were gone!  He was really disappointed and I was giddy because they were safe at home in my closet.

Miss Understood

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
My favorite gift is without a doubt Jiji, the  1 year old American Short Hair Boyfriend got for me.

A marvelous gift for all concerned, including Jiji.   :D

Not to mention all who got to read it here.   :)  It made me so happy I've gone back to read it again several times.  I'm so glad that you and Jiji found each other.

cheyne

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »
I received a Keurig coffee maker and 3 boxes of the pods.  I had seen it back in November and DH had asked me if I wanted to buy one.  Since I am the only coffee drinker in our family there was no way I was paying that kind of money for a fancy-schmancy coffee maker  :P!  Of course that was the gift DH gave me on Christmas eve.  I adore the coffee and DH for getting me something I really love but am too cheap to buy for myself.

The best gift was the money for the new cell phone for DIL.  Her phone was over 4 years old and literally falling apart.  You should have seen her face when DH and I gave her the money to replace it.  (Our DS is in the Air Force and stationed in OK for aircrew training.  DIL is in ND waiting for him to get done so they can move to WA state, and they talk on the phone every night.)  She went back to ND on Wednesday and already replaced the phone (and called us to tell us thanks again).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:42:01 PM by cheyne »

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »
My DH gave me a Microsoft Surface this year!  I was totally not expecting it!  I've been playing with it and showing it off to people all week!

My favorite gift that I gave was to my best friend.  We had gone to a sample sale in November, and she'd seen a necklace/earring set that she loved, but even at 50% off it was a little expensive, and we hadn't brought a lot of cash with us.  So she didn't get it.  I made note, went back the next day, and it was still there, plus they took an additional percent off at the register!  When she opened it, her eyes got really big and she almost started crying.  ;)  I got a text from her a couple of days later saying that everyone was complimenting her on it and thanking me again.  It was awesome to make her so happy!

Minmom3

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
REading about the gifts here, where thought and caring have gone into the choice for the recipient, and the recipient LOVES the gift and is so happy to get it - to me, this is what Christmas is really about.  I'm not religious in any way.  I'm a 'cultural Christian'.  I love the old Christmas carols, I love the family get togethers (the happy ones...), and I love, love, love, see great gifts exchanged that make giver and receiver happy.  THIS is what makes my personal Christmas a good one.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
... About 3 weeks ago he wanted to show me one more time.  So we went in the  pro shop and they were gone!  He was really disappointed and I was giddy because they were safe at home in my closet.

These are my favorite sneaky stories.

I confess to feeling a bit of guilt, bcs the kid is SO disappointed, and you could head that off by telling them. But it just doesn't seem quite as mean as it could be. And the "high" later is worth it.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
I got a new stand mixer :D

"After all this time?"
"Always."

MOM21SON

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »

gmatoy

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »
I received a Keurig coffee maker and 3 boxes of the pods.  I had seen it back in November and DH had asked me if I wanted to buy one.  Since I am the only coffee drinker in our family there was no way I was paying that kind of money for a fancy-schmancy coffee maker  :P!  Of course that was the gift DH gave me on Christmas eve.  I adore the coffee and DH for getting me something I really love but am too cheap to buy for myself.

The best gift was the money for the new cell phone for DIL.  Her phone was over 4 years old and literally falling apart.  You should have seen her face when DH and I gave her the money to replace it.  (Our DS is in the Air Force and stationed in OK for aircrew training.  DIL is in ND waiting for him to get done so they can move to WA state, and they talk on the phone every night.)  She went back to ND on Wednesday and already replaced the phone (and called us to tell us thanks again).

As a Washingtonian, I hope that they love it here and that you come to our beautiful state. Soon and often!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:39 PM »

Me too, but mine's red. I'm going to make a pie crust first. :) A friend gave me her secret recipe.

squeakers

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2012, 02:42:01 PM »
https://www.orderforeverlazy.com/  one piece fleece jammies/lounge wear with matching socks.  I love it! It even has a hood which I wear to keep my head warm (cold head= a migraine for me). I look like a demented teletubby but I am warm and comfy!

DH is thinking about getting one for himself and using it as long underwear that is not in 2 parts so no gapping and cold back when he is bending over outside.

The best part? They were on closeout at a closeout store so only cost $10 LOL (I picked out all of my gifts this year.)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
https://www.orderforeverlazy.com/  one piece fleece jammies/lounge wear with matching socks.  I love it! It even has a hood which I wear to keep my head warm (cold head= a migraine for me). I look like a demented teletubby but I am warm and comfy!

DH is thinking about getting one for himself and using it as long underwear that is not in 2 parts so no gapping and cold back when he is bending over outside.

The best part? They were on closeout at a closeout store so only cost $10 LOL (I picked out all of my gifts this year.)

I NEED that! Our entire family was gifted Snuggies, and they're great, but I can't stand my back being cold so it does me no good when I have to get up (and it isn't quite big enough to wrap around myself like a robe - I've tried).

CookieChica

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »

Me too, but mine's red. I'm going to make a pie crust first. :) A friend gave me her secret recipe.

Love it! I just learned the trick of putting chicken breasts in the stand mixer for shredded chicken. Works way better than a food processor!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »
My nephew made me a duct tape wallet with my name on it in Sharpie. I love it and it's perfect for my id, debit card and some cash.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2012, 04:01:13 AM »
My favourite present was my Ted Baker Elaney purse. It's not my usual style - I'm very much into elegant understatement - but I just fell for it. I was on the verge of buying a "mummy purse" with enough room for everything and then I saw these. All the functionality with bags of personality.

I'm not going to lose that at the bottom of my handbag!

I didn't really have anyone to shop for this year. My favourite gift that I gave was to my personal trainer. We had agreed a limit of 5. I ordered him a "free" mug from Vistaprint naming him as the best personal trainer in the world ever, as certified by at least one client and probably his mum. I also made tokens, laminated credit card sized tokens. One was headed "silent client" and said if he handed over that voucher I would immediately stop talking and be quiet for the rest of the session. "Late bate abate" said: "Are you running really late? As in, more than your usual five minutes? Are you getting That Look? Hand over this voucher for instant forgiveness." His reaction to that was: "Wait, I only get one of these???" ;D