Author Topic: How to eat the coffee break muffins?  (Read 1226 times)

norrina

How to eat the coffee break muffins?
« on: December 25, 2012, 11:36:05 PM »
This is an etiquette inasmuch as it has to do with the finishing school sort of etiquette, but I couldn't find an appropriate folder for it, so in here it goes.

I have consulted google and cannot seem to find an answer, what is the "proper" way to eat a muffin? I have found debate as to whether it is best to eat top first or bottom first, but what I am curious about is whether, in polite company should one eat from the whole muffin, tear of a bite size piece to eat, or consume the muffin some other way altogether? A silly question, but I am genuinely interested. I have been raised in proper dining etiquette generally, but muffins appear to have been omitted.

Shopaholic

Re: How to eat the coffee break muffins?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 12:58:18 AM »
Hmmm... interesting question.
Not that I have any actual knowledge on the subject, but I was thinking maybe like a croissant - breaking off pieces with your fingers, and eating them one at a time?
Not that I know if that's the correct way to eat one...

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 03:31:35 AM »
I don't know the correct way either but I would break off pieces as I do with a bread roll or any other pastry.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 05:17:47 AM »
I cut mine into quarters and eat one piece at a time, but I have no idea if that's correct or not! To me that's just a nice manageable portion. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
I cut mine into quarters and eat one piece at a time, but I have no idea if that's correct or not! To me that's just a nice manageable portion.
that's what i usually do (not that i eat muffins that often... maybe once a year. when i make them at home, i usually make the mini muffins as those are more manageable).

and i eat the bottom part first because i save the best for last >:D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
I like to break the muffin in half and eat the bottom first because I really prefer the bottom. 

If the muffin is warm, I like to break pieces off and apply butter just as you'd do with a bread roll. 

bloo

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
I like to break the muffin in half and eat the bottom first because I really prefer the bottom. 

If the muffin is warm, I like to break pieces off and apply butter just as you'd do with a bread roll.

Not sure if this is the 'correct' way, but it is the most common way I've seen it done (written by someone whose job it is to bake dozens of muffins among other things for a specialized store :) ).

Breaking it in half gives the muffin all kinds of ridges to slather on butter or some other topping (cream cheese or jam). And if it's warm it's a little unwieldy to butter or 'top' the whole thing as the whole thing could just crumble in your hands.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »
Bread is correctly broken off in pieces with your hands. If it just happens that you tear off the top first, there's nothing wrong with that.   :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
...with my mouth ...

:-\

onyonryngs

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 05:23:03 PM »
...quickly, before the rest of the office gets to them.

norrina

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I'm a tear-and-eat person myself, so it's good to know if that isn't strictly correct I'm at least not alone in my impropriety.

And LOL at Hijinks and onyonryngs.