Author Topic: People who talk to themselves... sometimes.  (Read 2942 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: People who talk to themselves... sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 07:02:07 AM »
I just realized I forgot to say - I constantly talk to myself  :D

The difference is that it doesn't bother me if DH doesn't respond to an actual statement to him, I'll just get his attention and repeat myself. It does bother me if I have his attention and he still doesn't respond but that's a whole other issue.   

I think even if a person doesn't have a habit of talking aloud  its still SS to get mad at somebody else for not listening when you start to speak out of the blue. After all, people are busy.  I often get absorbed in thought or what I'm doing and don't hear voices around me. The onus is on the speaker to get the attention of the person, even if you are the only 2 ppl present.    I can't tell you how frequently DH and I have an exchange that goes "what was that honey?" "nothing I was talking to the cat!" and that one goes both ways!  ;D
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Nora

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
I live with 3 people who do this, DH, Noah and Bob, and the only thing I've found that works is not listening. Then when they make it clear that the audio they emitted was meant for me I just go "oh, I did not hear you say my name". Next time I'll hear "Nora? Do you remember where the .....". Works like a charm on everyone except DH. He'll forget after a while, but then I'm not obligated to listen to each and every noise he produces.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 08:08:02 AM »
I live with 3 people who do this, DH, Noah and Bob, and the only thing I've found that works is not listening. Then when they make it clear that the audio they emitted was meant for me I just go "oh, I did not hear you say my name". Next time I'll hear "Nora? Do you remember where the .....". Works like a charm on everyone except DH. He'll forget after a while, but then I'm not obligated to listen to each and every noise he produces.

Thanks! I'm going to try this next and hope for the best.  :)