Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Dinner party ideas

<< < (2/3) > >>

blarg314:

The oatcake recipes I'm familiar with are usually about 1/2 wheat flour, so that may be tricky as a starter (starting with pure oats tends to produce thick oatmeal rather than a dough).

A good tomato soup would be good. I like doing it with roasted onions and tomatoes and some garlic to start, then adding stock and simmering, then pureeing, and using just a bit of heavy cream at the end.

Stroganoff sounds good, and would also pair well with mashed potatoes or rice, so you don't have to worry about how gluten free noodles will cook up. Be careful to note that Worcestershire sauce (a common ingredient) is not vegetarian, and sour cream is not always vegetarian (low fat versions sometimes include gelatin). You'll need a good vegetable stock as the base, though. 

I'd be tempted to include some dried shiitakes in the mushroom mix - start with small ones (about two inches across or so), soak in warm water, then slice. Then you can save the soaking water to use as part of the vegetable broth for the stroganoff.

The green salad would pair well with the stroganoff, and act as a balance for its richness, and I think a fruit tart would go well to finish.

kudeebee:
Is there a reason you can't make the stroganoff with mushrooms, take part out for the vegetarian, and then add meat for the non=vegetarians?  What about a gluten free berry crisp for dessert?

Winterlight:

--- Quote from: Minmom3 on December 26, 2012, 03:03:41 PM ---Heh.  Now you've made me want to try and put together a white meal!  Just for a fun thing to do.  I have a white garden bed....

--- End quote ---

It would be, but I have white dishes and don't want the food to blend in!*g*

I think I may scratch the oatcakes- I had a flour-free version but can't find it.

My stroganoff recipe calls for dried and fresh mushrooms both. I'm trying this batch with a mix of dried oyster and shitake, with fresh cremini. The recipe does not call for Worcestershire or stock- it's from Anna Thomas's The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two, so I think I'm safe on that.

--- Quote from: kudeebee on December 26, 2012, 11:47:29 PM ---Is there a reason you can't make the stroganoff with mushrooms, take part out for the vegetarian, and then add meat for the non=vegetarians?  What about a gluten free berry crisp for dessert?
--- End quote ---

I think I'd get paranoid about her not getting enough to eat, and since I get twitchy enough planning stuff, I don't want to add to my stress. It's easier to just have it all in the crockpot.

Crisps sound good, but I'm having trouble finding a recipe that doesn't use nuts- or citrus, which I am allergic to.

blarg314:

For a crisp - you could try an apple/berry crisp, which would work well using frozen berries.

You could use gluten free flour to thicken the fruit mixture (or cornstarch). Citrus is there for flavour - a bit of lemon juice perks up the flavour of bland fruit. So you can leave that out, and add a bit of vanilla extract instead.

For a topping, a streusel works well, but you'd need to use gluten free flour. Then it's flour, oats and brown sugar, sprinkled on top.

Shotochick:
How about a pavlova for desert? Totally GF, looks amazing, tastes even better!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version