Author Topic: Dinner party ideas  (Read 1674 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Dinner party ideas
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
I will be hosting a dinner party for five people including me in the beginning of February. One guest is vegetarian, one is gluten free and a third has a serious nut allergy, so I want to work around that.

So far, I've come up with the following-

Starter- I'm drawing a blank- soup, maybe? With oatcakes?
Main- Mushroom stroganoff with GF noodles
Side- Green salad with vinagrette
Dessert- My first thought was Russian cream or panna cotta, but that might be a little too rich on top of the stroganoff. Maybe a fruit tart?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Dinner party ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
soup sounds great - how about tomato soup with polenta squares or polenta dumplings (I believe corn flour is GF).
for your main - are your non-vegetarians happy with having a meatless meal? and are GF noodles good? i've never had them. can you use rice instead or mashed potatoes?

dessert - panna cotta isn't overly rice and it is very pretty and yummy. you can serve it with sliced fruit on the side. i'm not sure what "russian cream" is but i'm sure it's yum

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Winterlight

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Russian-Cream

It sounded so delicious when I found it in a book, but that might be too much sour cream for one meal.

Tomato soup sounds like a good choice- I don't want to have a completely white meal!

I think the non-veggies are fine as long as it's substantial food- it will probably be cold out. I haven't tried GF noodles yet, but I didn't want to make separate batches for one person. I was planning to do a test run of the stroganoff this weekend, and I can make a small batch of them then and see if they're edible.
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Minmom3

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
Heh.  Now you've made me want to try and put together a white meal!  Just for a fun thing to do.  I have a white garden bed....
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
I loooooves tomato soup and think that it would be a very nice compliment to your meal.

Another thought is an asparagus soup http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/asparagus-soup-recipe/index.html (instead of the chicken broth you can substitute with vegetable broth)

I think maybe add a bread with your main dish (you could easily serve both gluten free and regular) just to add to the heartiness of the meal if meat isn't being served.

Desert? Maybe a pound cake (there are may gluten free recipes on line) with fresh-cut fruit and an offering of sorbet?

Mind you, these are just alternate suggestions. I think your original menu sounds divine.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

The oatcake recipes I'm familiar with are usually about 1/2 wheat flour, so that may be tricky as a starter (starting with pure oats tends to produce thick oatmeal rather than a dough).

A good tomato soup would be good. I like doing it with roasted onions and tomatoes and some garlic to start, then adding stock and simmering, then pureeing, and using just a bit of heavy cream at the end.

Stroganoff sounds good, and would also pair well with mashed potatoes or rice, so you don't have to worry about how gluten free noodles will cook up. Be careful to note that Worcestershire sauce (a common ingredient) is not vegetarian, and sour cream is not always vegetarian (low fat versions sometimes include gelatin). You'll need a good vegetable stock as the base, though. 

I'd be tempted to include some dried shiitakes in the mushroom mix - start with small ones (about two inches across or so), soak in warm water, then slice. Then you can save the soaking water to use as part of the vegetable broth for the stroganoff.

The green salad would pair well with the stroganoff, and act as a balance for its richness, and I think a fruit tart would go well to finish.

kudeebee

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »
Is there a reason you can't make the stroganoff with mushrooms, take part out for the vegetarian, and then add meat for the non=vegetarians?  What about a gluten free berry crisp for dessert?

Winterlight

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
Heh.  Now you've made me want to try and put together a white meal!  Just for a fun thing to do.  I have a white garden bed....

It would be, but I have white dishes and don't want the food to blend in!*g*

I think I may scratch the oatcakes- I had a flour-free version but can't find it.

My stroganoff recipe calls for dried and fresh mushrooms both. I'm trying this batch with a mix of dried oyster and shitake, with fresh cremini. The recipe does not call for Worcestershire or stock- it's from Anna Thomas's The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two, so I think I'm safe on that.

Is there a reason you can't make the stroganoff with mushrooms, take part out for the vegetarian, and then add meat for the non=vegetarians?  What about a gluten free berry crisp for dessert?

I think I'd get paranoid about her not getting enough to eat, and since I get twitchy enough planning stuff, I don't want to add to my stress. It's easier to just have it all in the crockpot.

Crisps sound good, but I'm having trouble finding a recipe that doesn't use nuts- or citrus, which I am allergic to.
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
Caroline Lake Ingalls

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »

For a crisp - you could try an apple/berry crisp, which would work well using frozen berries.

You could use gluten free flour to thicken the fruit mixture (or cornstarch). Citrus is there for flavour - a bit of lemon juice perks up the flavour of bland fruit. So you can leave that out, and add a bit of vanilla extract instead.

For a topping, a streusel works well, but you'd need to use gluten free flour. Then it's flour, oats and brown sugar, sprinkled on top.

Shotochick

• An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 03:56:32 AM »
How about a pavlova for desert? Totally GF, looks amazing, tastes even better!
An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad: www.aussiefoodie.blogspot.com

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
Butternut squash soup would be my suggestion.  Here is the basic recipe I use:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/baja_butternut_squash_soup.html

Here is an asparagus pie recipe I'm going to try sometime:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asparagus-Pie/Detail.aspx?src=VD_Summary (OK for vegetarians, but not vegans).

mandycorn

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
For dessert, you could do a flourless chocolate cake (there are tons of recipes online) with mixed berries and freshly whipped cream, that way people could pick and choose which they would like. Just make sure you dust your baking dish with cocoa powder instead of flour to avoid the gluten.

The Russian Cream recipe looked really good, but it had gelatin in it, which might bother your vegetarian guest, depending on how strict he or she is.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
Some other options for dessert could be pots de creme, poached pears, chocolate mousse, raspberry fool, or coconut macaroons.

Panna cotta also uses gelatin, so it's not vegetarian.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Amava

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »
For recipes that require gelatin: pectin is a good vegan alternative for gelatine.