Author Topic: Cell phone question UPDATE POST 28  (Read 3148 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Cell phone question UPDATE POST 28
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »
When I call Sadie's cell phone it rings once and then goes to voice mail.  I leave a message.  Often I get no return call.  I get the impression sometimes that she didn't know I had tried to call. 
Yesterday I was talking to Clara, telling her that I couldn't reach Sadie to say Merry Christmas because her phone goes directly to voice mail.  Clara was surprised to hear that it rings only once because when she calls Sadie at that number it rings several times until she answers or eventually goes to voice mail. 
When I tried to call Sadie this morning I got the one ring and voice mail.  I called Clara and she tried calling Sadie.  Clara got through after a couple of rings and they had a long conversation.  She told Sadie I was having trouble getting through so Sadie called me. Right after I talked to Sadie, I had reason to call her back to tell her something.  Again, one ring and voice mail. 
I don't want to be paranoid, but can someone block a specific number to go directly to voice mail after one ring. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:04:36 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Cell phone question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »
I hate to say it, but that is exactly what it sounds like. I don't know if there is some way Sadie could have accidentally blocked your number? But if you are leaving messages and not getting return calls, perhaps there is some issue on Sadie's mind that you aren't aware of?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »
Just to be clear - you  are 100% sure you have the correct number for her right?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
I hate to say it, but that is exactly what it sounds like. I don't know if there is some way Sadie could have accidentally blocked your number? But if you are leaving messages and not getting return calls, perhaps there is some issue on Sadie's mind that you aren't aware of?
Thanks for the response.  I just wondered.  I couldn't get a definite answer online.  I think in the interest of my own self preservation I'm going to ignore it.  Start taking care of myself before the new year starts. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:30:45 PM »
Just to be clear - you  are 100% sure you have the correct number for her right?
Yes.  On her voice mail she says "This is Sadie, leave a message and I'll call you back."  I would recognize her  voice, anyway.  Also, Clara and I compared numbers and we are calling the same one.

onyonryngs

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »
I think she'd be able to hear the message, but if it rings once, it sounds like she hits the "ignore" button rather than letting it ring or her phone is off.  I'm pretty sure that she's getting the message & just not returning the call.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »
This doesn't deal with Cell phones, but maybe something along these lines?

I have an answering machine on my land line. I also have a voice message system (VMS) with my phone company which I always forget that I have.

If someone else calls while I'm on the phone they are immediately directed to the VMS . . . which I never check.

I've had people tell me that they've left messages. Me? "I never got a message from you!" 'til I check the VMS . . . ooops. Sorry!

Like I said, this is a land line. I'm not all "up" on cell-phone technology.

Just trying to give you hope for a "maybe" alternative. :-\

misha412

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »

I don't want to be paranoid, but can someone block a specific number to go directly to voice mail after one ring.

Depending on the phone and the service, the answer is yes. And it sounds like that is what she is doing.

For someone to just hit ignore all the time, the number of rings you hear would vary sometimes if she was not right on top of her phone. But because it is the same pattern each time, it sounds automatic to me. The one ring is likely the re-routing of your call from her phone to the answering service.

If she had blocked you completely, you would not be able to leave a message on most systems. She is getting your messages and only returning them if she wants.

Personally, I would be backing away from this relationship quickly and quietly. She is making her feelings known even if she is not saying anything. Taking care of yourself sounds like the perfect thing to do.

Mikayla

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I just wondered.  I couldn't get a definite answer online.  I think in the interest of my own self preservation I'm going to ignore it.  Start taking care of myself before the new year starts.

This sounds like there's some sort of backstory?  I'm asking because I noticed last week that this always happens when I call my sister.  And I did the same thing you did - had my other sister call. 

But since there's no backstory or other issue, my sis knew we were testing it.  She was curious herself.  She has an iPhone, if that matters. 

gypsy77

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
I do tech support for cell phones as my job. If it is ringing once, it's probably a phone setting. It's pretty easy to accidentally tick that setting off on some phones, depending on the operating system and maufacturer.

If as far as you know, everything should be normal between youand Sadie, I think it's worth sending her a text saying "hey, all my calls are going to voicemail after one ring. Just wanted to say Merry Christmas". That way, if it was accidental, and she doesn't know where to find the setting, chances are she'll call her carrier for support to get it fixed.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »
Thanks all for the responses and the food for thought.  As far as I know there are  no issues but I suspect that asking about it would be unwelcome.
She is aware of the one ring problem already as I mentioned it to her when she told me that someone called her and she didn't make it to the phone before they hung up.  I was surprised and told her that it only rings once when I call.  I forget what she said about that.  If there were a problem like accidentally putting me on ignore or something she would have fixed it at the time and let me know what it was, etc. 
It didn't occur to me that it was some kind of blocking my calls or anything like that until Clara told me it rings more than once when she calls and sometimes after several rings goes to voice mail.
I'm sensitive about imposing on people so I know I wasn't calling her too often and she had to rein me in. 
This is just one of those things I believe would create awkwardness if mentioned.   I actually call her less and only if I have to since she is almost impossible to reach. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:48:44 PM by Bijou »

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
but can someone block a specific number to go directly to voice mail after one ring. 

Yes, however:
With some phones (cell and landline) if a person is on another call, there will be one ring then the caller bounces into vm.

With others, if the person has turned their phone off callers automatically go into vm.

Have you given Sadie a reasonable amount of time to return your call(s)?  If so, and she hasn't, there could be a reason.  I think you should stop calling for awhile.  If she wants to talk to you, she will call you.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
but can someone block a specific number to go directly to voice mail after one ring. 

Yes, however:
With some phones (cell and landline) if a person is on another call, there will be one ring then the caller bounces into vm.

With others, if the person has turned their phone off callers automatically go into vm.

Have you given Sadie a reasonable amount of time to return your call(s)?  If so, and she hasn't, there could be a reason.  I think you should stop calling for awhile.  If she wants to talk to you, she will call you.
The one ring then voice mail happens every time I call her cell phone and never happens when Clara calls.  It has never happens to Clara.  I have been with Sadie when someone calls and it does ring and ring  until answered.

What happened yesterday was that in passing Clara and I talked about calling Sadie.  We realized that I get one ring then voice mail and Clara does not.  It rings multiple times when she calls.  So this morning I called Sadie to say Merry Christmas.  I got one ring and voice mail.  I called Clara and told her it happened again and asked if she had talked to her.  She said no but said she was going to call her and would let me know if she had the one ring vice mail thing happen to her.  It didn't.  She called and Sadie answered and she told Sadie I was trying to reach her.  Sadie called me and we talked for a bit.  Then I had to call her back and the phone rang once and then to voice mail.  It is obvious to me, now, that my calls are somehow being routed directly to voice mail after one ring.  I don't know why.  I guess it is what it is. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:01:46 PM by Bijou »

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
I know on my Android phone I can do that, deliberately (I have a bunch of sales call numbers set up that way). She may have done it accidentally, but it's possible that it's deliberate as well. Try calling from a land line that's not yours, and see what happens.

kckgirl

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
I know on my Android phone I can do that, deliberately (I have a bunch of sales call numbers set up that way). She may have done it accidentally, but it's possible that it's deliberate as well. Try calling from a land line that's not yours, and see what happens.

How do you do it? I have one unwelcome caller that I'd like to send straight to voice mail every time.
Maryland