Author Topic: When "No" Isn't Enough  (Read 2062 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
When "No" Isn't Enough
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »
DD (10) received a gift card for a famous Tween store for Christmas. I usually try to avoid the store when I can because the salespeople can be very pushy. It was bad enough DD was very excited to go there, as they were advertising a 75% off sale. But once we got inside the store, the fine print said "up to 75% off when combining our 40% off sale with already discounted prices". This store does stuff like this all the time, which is another reason I don't like going there - shady advertising.

Today was a good example. DD had a $40.00 gift certificate. The sales associate grabbed us on the floor and led DD over to some shirts that were selling for regular price. So, one shirt would have cost her $36.00. DD liked the shirt, but was hesitant because it would cost almost the entire amount of her certificate. I mentioned to DD that she might do better to look in the clearance area, because they were having a 40% off sale, and she could get more clothes for her money that way. The salesperson turned to both of us and said "She can get whatever she wants". This irritated me, but I let it slide as DD isn't the one with the wallet - all she has is a $40 certificate and if she goes over, the Bank of Mom and Dad are the ones who have to finance it, so no, she can't get "whatever she wants" if it exceeds the limit of the gift card.

She leaves us, and we finish looking around in the store. DD was happy because she browsed clearance and found a pair of jeans she really wanted and a gorgeous sweater, both for 40% off.

We go to the register and the same sales associate is ringing up purchases. Here is how the conversation goes at check out... me, DH and DD were all at the register.

SA: What's your phone number?
Me: It's unlisted, we don't give it out.
SA: What's your e-mail address?
Me: I don't give that out, either.
SA: It's just for coupons, so that you can save money. Give me your e-mail address.
Me: No, thanks, I don't want to receive coupons.
SA: (rolls her eyes at me and rings up transaction). It comes to $46.00. If you spend another $4, you earn $25.00 in StoreBucks and get a coupon for X% off your next purchase.
Me: No, thanks. Let's just pay for what we have here.
SA: It's only another $4. We have underwear and necklaces and candy that would help you meet that price.
At this point, DH steps in and says, "No thank you".
SA: Oh come on! It's only $4! And you get all these StoreBucks and a coupon!
Me: No, thank you.
SA: No necklaces, or underwear? It's only $4!
DH: We just would like to pay for what we have. We don't use StoreBucks.
SA: $4 isn't much and I know your DD was looking at the mustache necklaces earlier.
At this point, SA turns to DD and asks her if she doesn't want a necklace.

All three of us just stood there and looked at her - trying complete silence to get her to finally understand "no".

SA: You're killing me! It's only another $4! And you can get a COUPON. (Tone implying we are stupid for not wanting the coupon and buying more stuff to get it).
Me: Actually, YOU are killing ME. Please finish the transaction.

She finally gave up, finished the transaction, shoved the receipt into the bag, and tossed the purchase at us. Didn't thank us and I could tell she was angry.

Now, I know she has quotas and I'm sure her management is pushing her to make sales at the checkout since they all do this every time we visit the store, but she was worse than most of them because she just would not let it go, and actually tried to go around us to get DD to ask us for a necklace, figuring we'd just give in.

At what point is "No" and "No thank you" enough? At what point do you get the store manager involved? I think I should have asked for the manager today, to be honest.  I'm sure they want to make sales, but I'm also sure they don't want customers feeling badgered by their salespeople. How can you make people understand that no means no without crossing the line over into rudeness or without repeating yourself over and over again?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:52:40 PM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Kiara

• My dragons!
Re: When "No" Isn't Enough
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »
At the "Oh come on," I would have asked for her supervisor.

And if I'd have been shopping for myself, when the supervisor got there, I would have handed her my purchases and explained exactly why I would NOT be getting them, because of the behavior of her employee.

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »
The sales associate was incredibly rude. Why on earth she was so pushy is beyond me, if she hadn't of pushed so hard she would have had more chance of you returning later with out a coupon. Now I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to go back! I would call the manager about this, they need to know that the pushy sales tactics are both rude and not effective.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
Good grief.

At the "Oh come on," I would have asked for her supervisor.

This. 

Amara

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:39:03 PM »
SA: (rolls her eyes at me and rings up transaction). It comes to $46.00. If you spend another $4, you earn $25.00 in StoreBucks and get a coupon for X% off your next purchase.

Here's where I would have stopped talking to her altogether and simply stared hard at her while handing her (or nudging daughter to) the gift certificate. I wouldn't bother talking to the manager; they probably push the associates to do just that. Reviews on Yelp (that included the above "conversation") and elsewhere would be on my to-do list when I got home, however.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
And that is exactly why I rarely shop in brick and mortar stores. If your daughter is given a similar gift in the future, I would suggest checking out the company website instead of going in person. Sometimes stores have web-exclusive sales, too!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

nuit93

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »

Here's where I would have stopped talking to her altogether and simply stared hard at her while handing her (or nudging daughter to) the gift certificate. I wouldn't bother talking to the manager; they probably push the associates to do just that. Reviews on Yelp (that included the above "conversation") and elsewhere would be on my to-do list when I got home, however.

This--the managers are probably pushing their associates to do exactly what that salesperson was doing, get people to sign up for mailing lists/advertising specials.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:12:38 AM »
at the eye roll - I would have stopped responding, and just say "will you please ring this up?" "Will you please ring this up or should we go to a different cashier".

of course, I have also been known to leave stuff on the counter and leave the store when salespeople annoyed me enough.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gingerzing

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:08:57 AM »
I hate that. 
I once had a similar thing happen at a store that I didn't normally go to.  I had been looking for a long time for a certain style of shirt.  I finally found one in my size at this particular store.  Loved it, knew it would work.  Took to the register and the sales clerk started in on the whole "you need a necklace?  You really should get earrings or a scarf to go with it. perhaps stockings?" etc.  First off the style of the shirt would not have worked with a scarf nor most necklaces.  And she kept pushing add-ons.  I just looked at her and said, "Just the shirt, please.  I have everything else that I need."  But she still pushed.  I dead eyed her with  "Just the shirt."  I had to finally tell her that if she didn't want to ring up my sale I would go elsewhere.  (Now grant you, I couldn't find this style anywhere, but she didn't know that)
I understand upselling - I have had to do it for some retail jobs - but really. 

I understand why your DD would need to go to the store (try on clothes), but I would be sorely tempted to just try on stuff and the order online.  You may want to see if the sales clerk's name is on the receipt and see about doing a letter copied to store manager and the district manager.  (Often you can find the info on the store's website.)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »
i hate this. i work in retail, and we are required to upsell, ask if the customer has a store charge, if not, would they like to "open" not apply, for one, yada, yada, yada. I do as little as I can get away with as I find it, as a shopper, VERY annoying. But i do have some co-workers who are like the ones in the OP; they just don't know when to shut it and stop talking. esp when it comes to the charge.  yes we are under pressure to open a ridiculous number of them in x days, and so on, but if hte customers says no thank you, i let it drop.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
I think if it were my own personal selections I not only would have asked for a manager, I would have informed her that I was now going to leave those selections and shop at same store/other city instead. I don't really care who is pushing who, this behvaior crosses the line.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
My snarky side would've finally said, "Just what part of NO are you having trouble understanding?"

OP, If the store you're talking about is Justice,  I feel your pain. Overpriced,  shoddy clothes, but their marketing to young girls is a business school perfect example.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
The EvilBunny would probably have started going "STRANGER DANGER! STRANGER DANGER! NO MEANS NO!!" when she started getting really pushy, but that would have caused a scene.

I feel for retail people who are forced to upsell credit cards and such, and have their hours based off it (Oh, you only got one credit card this week! Well, you only get 7 hours next week!). But there comes a line when it goes from aggressive marketing to harassment, which this salesperson definitely crossed. When I worked someplace that did a StoreBucks promotion, if someone was less than $5 from StoreBucks, I told them and offered them a chance to go grab socks or chocolate or something to make up the difference. If they said no, smile, move along. If they said a grateful yes, smile, let them grab their item.

weeblewobble

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »
There's a difference between upselling and belligerence.  Sometime around the "She can get what she wants," I probably would have asked her to go "help" someone else.  The ensuing rudeness merits a call to the manager or a letter to corporate.

I distinctly recall a shopping trip with my Mom when I was 12 or 13.  I needed a nice blouse for a middle school dance.  I was going to wear jeans and I had a nice necklace I wanted to wear.  We found a shirt that would properly "display" the necklace and were going to buy it.  A sales lady approached and recommended in succession, a skirt, a necklace and earrings and a pair of ballet flats to go with the shirt.  Mom refused all of them. The sales lady turned to me and rolled her eyes, huffing, "Your mom doesn't understand that you HAVE to spend money to look GOOD. What are WE going to do with her?"

My eyes went wide and I didn't answer.  Mom wrapped her arm around me and led me out of the store, calling, "WE are going to shop at another store."

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
OP, is this the chain that's using Martin Short as its spokesperson in its TV ads lately?