Author Topic: How and when do books change for you?  (Read 6454 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: How and when do books change for you?
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
The romance novel mentions made me think of all the romance novels I read when I was way too young, like 12. Those big, fat historical ones available by the millions (it seems) on library shelves, with titles like My Brazen Pirate and The Wolf and the Hummingbird or whatever.

Admit it ... you read Kathleen Woodiwiss books, didn't you?

Because, um, me too.

The Wolf and the Dove, Shanna, Ashes in the Wind, A Rose in Winter, Come Love a Stranger, So Worthy My Love ... oh yeah.
Words mean things.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
me three

Lynn2000

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 11:45:31 PM »
The romance novel mentions made me think of all the romance novels I read when I was way too young, like 12. Those big, fat historical ones available by the millions (it seems) on library shelves, with titles like My Brazen Pirate and The Wolf and the Hummingbird or whatever.

Because, um, me too.

The Wolf and the Dove, Shanna, Ashes in the Wind, A Rose in Winter, Come Love a Stranger, So Worthy My Love ... oh yeah.

Crud monkeys! How did you know?? Seriously, my very first romance novel ever was A Rose in Winter. Actually I consider her a good writer, but that may be because she was my first, so it was everyone else I read later whose plots seemed derivative.
~Lynn2000

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 11:58:32 PM »

Because, um, me too.

Crud monkeys! How did you know?? Seriously, my very first romance novel ever was A Rose in Winter. Actually I consider her a good writer, but that may be because she was my first, so it was everyone else I read later whose plots seemed derivative.

A Rose in Winter is what I refer to as my first crazysauce romance novel. (My first "regular" romance novel was Keating's Landing by Willo Davis Roberts, then my first mainstream novel was Castles by Julie Garwood.) To this day, if I want something crazy and epic and not at all PC, I go to Woodiwiss. Bertrice Small and Rosemary Rogers just don't do it as well for me.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »

Because, um, me too.

Me too. Her and Rosemary Rogers, and Johanna Lindsay and a lot of others. I don't think my parents ever saw what I was reading from the free book rack as a teen, or those would have been tossed.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls