Author Topic: Would you do this? Is it inconsiderate?  (Read 10842 times)

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: Would you do this? Is it inconsiderate?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2012, 11:56:46 PM »
If someone is throwing a party at which they intend to serve cookies, and they have 2 dozen fresh tasty home-baked cookies someone gave them, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go buy other cookies for the party. 

Today I gave a coworker a box of gourmet salsas.  I chose this gift for her because she occasionally brings in chips and salsa for the group.  Within an hour, she announced that there would be chips and salsa at work on Thursday.  I was amused and flattered; she understood why I chose that gift for her, and it gave her a chance to do her signature thing.  Only problem is that I'm not scheduled to work on Thursday :( .  I may go in anyway.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

HockeyNut

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
Every year I do a Christmas cookie baking marathon - I bake at least a dozen different kinds of cookies which I then wrap up & gift to friends.  One year one of our neighbors told me she hoped I didn't mind but she had plated my cookies to serve at a holiday party (she did give me credit for the baking!).  I took it as a compliment that she thought my cookies were good enough to serve to her guests.  Please consider taking Becky's actions the same way - your cookies were just too good to not share!
I did feel sorry for my neighbors kids though - I don't think they got any cookies that year.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »

Danika, Was it your expectation that the family would eat all of the cookies you provided?  I'm like WillyNilly, Christmas treats are to be shared with friends.  Regifting would be if she took your cookies, packed them up as individual party favors and handed them out to the guests to take home.

My thoughts exactly--especially with foil-wrapped toffees.

I would not have considered this regifting, and if I were having a party and still had toffee in the house, there's no way I wouldn't offer it to my guests.

And w/ the toffees, I would assume that *you* liked those toffees yourself, and that I could offer you a chance to eat some.

(I think it might be safe to assume that Becky's family liked cookies A and B enough to eat all of them, but that doesn't mean she rejected the other cookies. And I know my *own* reaction would be to make Becky's stash next year bee all cookies A and B, since it seems she likes them so much.)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »

IF! On the other hand, Becky claimed that she baked those goodies herself, then this would have been a "Send Becky To E-Hell" thread. I hope you got kudos for the shared gift.

But of course, she didn't.

And I don't think Becky needed to tell her guests where she got those cookies.
In the first place, she didn't need to, because she's not obligated to.
And in the second place, she didn't need to because I'm sure they all recognized them--they all got very similar assortments.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »
But if I gave someone a bottle of wine as a gift, without a party, and then I arrived at their house a few days later for a party and they were serving that wine, I would interpret it to mean that they didn't like it enough to consume it themselves. So I'd be slightly offended to see it.

And that wouldn't offend me at all.  I think it'd be a nice gesture to be serving it - regardless of when it is.

I'd also assume that the REASON she brought out that wine on this day was so that *I* could have some of it (I must like it if I gave it as a gift, right?), and so that I could see that she was enjoying the wine.

I never expect a couple to drink an entire bottle of wine by themselves--almost everyone I know would drink wine with a larger group, four people at least.

And I'm in the camp of always saving the BEST wines for company. For an occasion.