Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Where does the responsibility lie?

<< < (12/12)

Lynn2000:
What an interesting thread! I do think it depends somewhat on the "culture" of Australia and the extent of general knowledge about new drivers having zero alcohol, which as a non-Australian I don't think I could give a good opinion on.

I will say, though, that it sounds to me like the uncle was making a joke, the kind of joke that new teen drivers in many places (like the US) get, and although it may have been in poor taste and eyeroll-worthy, I wouldn't consider it any more sinister than joking about a new teen driver being able to reach the pedals or back up without hitting the mailbox, etc.. Not necessarily a nice and confidence-boosting thing to say, but also not indicative of a larger conspiracy to get the kid thrown in jail, you know?

I think this is a very good point:

--- Quote from: MurPl1 on January 02, 2013, 12:02:27 PM ---To those who think it's unreasonable to expect a teenager to be responsible enough to ask about food ingredients when he has a restriction, I have to counter with the fact that this is a person that has been deemed responsible enough to drive a vehicle.  If you aren't responsible enough to watch your diet knowing your restrictions, then you are not responsible enough to drive something that can seriously injure or kill someone.

--- End quote ---

And this could be a very good learning experience for the young driver, especially if he's never dealt with having other food restrictions before.

auntmeegs:

--- Quote from: cocacola35 on December 31, 2012, 10:35:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: WillyNilly on December 28, 2012, 03:00:53 PM ---I wonder though if the guy was just pulling the kid's chain and didn't really think there was any harm.  Having for dinner a pot roast cooked in Guinness, or having penne a la vodka, or putting wine in the red sauce really is not something the average person is even remotely concerned with when it comes to driving and intoxication, and is not really something most people would think to warn a diner about... but its an easy way to perhaps scare a teen.  Is the guest known as a 'kidder'?

--- End quote ---

That was my thinking when I first read the OP.  I cook with wine often.  The most I use in recipes is about half a cup and it's almost always sauteed out of the pan and combined with about 12 other ingredients.  Knowing that, there is absolutely no chance someone could get drunk or even have traces of that show up on a Breathalyzer test after eating my risotto or sauteed kale.  It wouldn't wouldn't even occur to me to mention I used wine in the cooking to parents or minors unless I was concerned about allergies.

--- End quote ---

POD.  That this is even remotely an issue is bizarre to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version