Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4334 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2013, 04:38:37 AM »
Just bought the three Ben Aaronovitch novels and finished the first one in about 3 hours...Thank you for the new addiction :)

SDG31000

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »
I'm so glad you like them PastryGoddess.  I'm trying to get DH to read them so I have someone to talk to about them.  Enjoy the next two  :)

Verloona Ti

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
Currently reading (fiction) Foucault's Pendulum by Eco , and Haag's  (nonfiction) The Templars.

bloo

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
I'd like to add that every night before bed I read an essay from All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. I'm sure a lot are already familiar with it. The vignettes are funny, heartwarming and positive which is a good way to leave the day before going to sleep! I'm almost half-way through the book. I have a paperback that was given to me when a relative was cleaning out their basement years ago and only started digging into it a few weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Creatures-Great-Small-James-Herriot/dp/0312965788

Betelnut

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
I'd like to add that every night before bed I read an essay from All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. I'm sure a lot are already familiar with it. The vignettes are funny, heartwarming and positive which is a good way to leave the day before going to sleep! I'm almost half-way through the book. I have a paperback that was given to me when a relative was cleaning out their basement years ago and only started digging into it a few weeks ago.

I love his books.  I've read and reread them so many times that certain stories and images will pop out at me at random times.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »

I love his books.  I've read and reread them so many times that certain stories and images will pop out at me at random times.

I have the first three books in ebook format - I read them as a small child, no more than 10, at my grandparents house one summer. It was a rough time in my life, and the stories resonated with such love and joy that I still feel that, even decades later. Love them!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »
Ah, the glories of the sidewalk book box! 

I found a goody yesterday, 'Come Shouting to Zion : African American Protestantism in the American South and British Caribbean to 1830'.

I know it sounds like a sure-fire insomnia killer but this is a topic and period about which I know little.  It's fascinating. 

Also, I haven't gotten around to reading them yet but I found all three Stieg Larsson, 'The Girl Who...' books in the same box!  Christmas in January!   :D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

I have the first three books in ebook format - I read them as a small child, no more than 10, at my grandparents house one summer. It was a rough time in my life, and the stories resonated with such love and joy that I still feel that, even decades later. Love them!

I gave the first three to my dad for Christmas one year, the first "real" gift I got him aka had money to buy. I have read and re-read them so many times, and I also see certain breeds of dogs, etc. and it reminds me of certain stories of his!

Like Clancy the Irish Wolfhound who ate anything in his path, the Cedric, the flatulant boxer, who found a new home with the gardner who had lost his sense of smell!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »
For anyone who's ever worked in retail, Retail Hell and Return to the Big Fancy by Freeman Hall. I will warn, there is plenty of profanity, but his writing style is hilarious!  He was one of the first male "handbag, not purse" associates at Nordstrom. NOt sure if in his store, or area, but he really wanted to be a screenwriter, but needed to pay the bills. The first one is about his first go-around, and the second one, is about how he went back, after not having much luck as a screenwriter.

I can so relate to his classification of various types of customers, and was laughing hysterically thorughout both books.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
I just finished Warm Bodies, and I really liked it.  I can't wait for the movie to come out.  Yes, I'll see it on Valentine's Day.  ;D
I'll get there.  Eventually.

sourwolf

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
I'm about 3/4 of the way through City of Dark Magic by Magnus Flyte (which I believe is a pseudonym) and I'm still not sure if I like it or not.  It has a really interesting premise but it's just not grabbing me like I had thought it would. Here's a link to Goodreads's synopsis.  Warning though many of the reviews further down the page contain spoilers. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15808242-city-of-dark-magic

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:42 AM »
I am re-reading the whole Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow. I am currently 2/3 through The Singing of the Dead (which I had, unfortunately, placed after, not before A Grave Denied). Next is A Taint in the Blood. Most of them are not on my Kindle, but I am okay with reading hardcopy (RL) books.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:36 AM »
Just finished Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde and loved it!!!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice