Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4859 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
What are you reading?
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »
I've read everything on my bookshelf and need some recommendations. 

sooooooo.....take it away E-Hellions!  :-*

finecabernet

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:05:23 PM »
Fiction or non-fiction?

katiescarlett

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:07:45 PM »
Right now I am reading Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey.  Love all things Austen, and got it for Christmas!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
either is fine with me.  I just like to read

katiescarlett

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
If you love history, I have been reading a pretty good series of books on my kindle, called the After Cilmeri series by Sarah Woodbury.

clio917

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
I got books for Christmas! :D  I just started Cherie Priest's Inexplicables. It's a great series (starting with Boneshaker) - it has ruined all other steampunk books for me because I can't find any others that are as well written. Up next will be Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian, which I've read before but I could re-read it a million times.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 11:52:06 PM »
I just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman and now I'm on A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. It's off to a slow start, we'll see how it goes. One of my favorite authors is Tom Franklin. He's descriptive in a way that sucks me into the story as if I was there but without going overboard. Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and Hell at the Breech are my favorites so far (I haven't read all of his books - yet).

Do you have an account at goodreads? I've got about 20 books on my "to read" list, thanks to browsing my friends' profiles.  :)

Me

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:58:53 AM »

Right now I'm reading Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano.  He's an Italian journalist/writer whose expose on the Neapolitan mafia (the Camorra) has meant that he now lives under 24 hour police protection.  Though the Camorra may not have physically killed him life as he knew it ,before the book, no longer exists.  It's interesting as he was relatively young (mid 20s) when the book came out and from interviews I've read I doubt he would do it all again.

After that I'm going to attempt to finish the 20+ other books that I've been reading on and off for years but never quite finished!  Switch by Chip & Dan Heath will be next.

Happy reading everyone!  :)

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:31:56 AM »
I will read almost anything.  I just finished a series by Victoria Laurie called tha ghost hunter mysteries. Also, Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet series (I think the first one is Light Years) is pretty good too.  Bill Bryson is an interesting travel writer but my favourite series is by an Australian author (I am an Aussie) Kerry Greenwood who writes a series of books starring Phryne Fisher (Cocaine Blues is the first book) set in 1920's Melbourne.  I'm not sure you'll be able to get her in the States though.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 04:35:23 AM »
I just realised I've just come through a cosy crime phase because Lisa Lutz's Spellman series is good too.

Hope you find something good to read!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 05:16:56 AM »
I am re-reading (for the billionth time) Maeve Binchey. I am up to Quentins now.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

dawnfire

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »
I just started Shadow rising by Yasmine galenorn it's her 12th book in her otherworld series.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »

Right now I'm reading Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano.  He's an Italian journalist/writer whose expose on the Neapolitan mafia (the Camorra) has meant that he now lives under 24 hour police protection.  Though the Camorra may not have physically killed him life as he knew it ,before the book, no longer exists.  It's interesting as he was relatively young (mid 20s) when the book came out and from interviews I've read I doubt he would do it all again.

After that I'm going to attempt to finish the 20+ other books that I've been reading on and off for years but never quite finished!  Switch by Chip & Dan Heath will be next.

Happy reading everyone!  :)

Hmm that sounds interesting

bloo

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »
I never, ever get tired of Rosamunde Pilcher. An excellent storyteller! I wore out my paperback of Coming Home and (egads) have to dip into my hardcover when I want to visit my old friend. She's retired from writing - still alive but in her 90's now. Her son, Robin, is also a bestselling author, though I have yet to read his books. Soon....

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Home-Rosamunde-Pilcher/dp/0312958129

katcheya

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 10:17:07 AM »
I just started Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko.  It's the second book in the Night Watch series.  The Washington Post described it as "Harry Potter in Gorky Park."