Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4405 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
I love Pilcher too- Coming Home is a favorite, and I reread Winter Solstice every Christmastime. She's great at domestic fiction.

Dorothy L. Sayers? I'm rather fond of Lord Peter Wimsey.

If you have any interest in Catholicism, then Rumer Godden is good. Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy is about an English girl in postwar (WWII) France who becomes a prostitute, a murderess and then a nun. Having written it out, it sounds a lot more sensationalist than it really is. I love In this House of Brede. It's about a widow who enters a Benedictine monastery.

Madeline L'Engle wrote some adult fiction, and A Severed Wasp is one of the better ones. It's about a retired pianist who's looking back over her life while also facing new challenges.

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible gets good reviews, though I haven't read it yet.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a totally fun and interesting novel written about life on Guernsey during and after WWII. It's an epistolary novel, and really well written.

Laurie R. King's Kate Martinelli series is very absorbing.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
I never, ever get tired of Rosamunde Pilcher. An excellent storyteller! I wore out my paperback of Coming Home and (egads) have to dip into my hardcover when I want to visit my old friend. She's retired from writing - still alive but in her 90's now. Her son, Robin, is also a bestselling author, though I have yet to read his books. Soon....

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Home-Rosamunde-Pilcher/dp/0312958129

I re-read all of her books this fall.  She is on my yearly list of books to read over and over again.  The Shell Seekers was my introduction to her books and I was hooked

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »
"I'll Mature When I'm Dead" by Dave Barry.

Then I'll probably give A Game of Thrones a chance, since my friends have been raving about the books for years... but I got the Complete Calvin and Hobbes for Christmas.

mw8242

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 11:38:18 AM »
The past few books I've read & loved
Ken Follet - Winter Wonderland - historial fiction, sequel to Fall of the Giants. loved it!
Bill O'Reilly - Killing Lincoln - awesome
Gillian Flynn - Gone Girl & Sharp Objects - not connected except for being written by the same author but was great
Darcie Chan - Mill River Recluse - hidden find

Some others that I have enjoyed a lot
Tatian De Rosnay - A secret kept OR Sarah's Key
Elin Hilderbrand - several good beach reads
Erik Larson - In the Garden of Beasts - I love WWII stuff and this was fascinating

I love to read!

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
I'm currently reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I'm a bit slow getting into it but so many people have recommended it that I want to read it all the way through.

Recently, I've read:
The Glass Castle and Half-Broke Horses, both by Jeanette Walls
She's Come Undone and I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
11/22/63 by Stephen King
Where We Belong by Emily Giffin
Room by Emma Donahue (this book is simply FASCINATING, I read it in a day!)
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »

Has she written more in the Kate Martinelli series?  I've been reading her Mary Russell series which is also fantastic

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »
I'm working on the book version of The Princess Bride and also on Todd McCaffery's Six which is a collection of short stories he's written (so far, all non-Pern). Peter David's Light of the Darkness was good and I'm hoping to get my hands on the sequel soon.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver. He's the statistician who blew away the pundits in the election. Very readable book about predictions, economics, baseball, etc.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

123sandy

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »
Another Pilcher fan! I love September and The Shell Seekers.

I've just picked up Blackhouse and The Lewis Man by Peter May. Also the latest Ian Rankin where Det. Rebus makes a return!!!

Winterlight

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »

Has she written more in the Kate Martinelli series?  I've been reading her Mary Russell series which is also fantastic

The Art of Detection back in 2006 is the last one and she says there are none currently scheduled. Bah.

I also love Folly and Keeping Watch.
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
Caroline Lake Ingalls

POF

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 07:51:33 PM »
I am re-reading (for the billionth time) Maeve Binchey. I am up to Quentins now.

I read them every summer sitting out in the sun

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »
I love Pilcher too- Coming Home is a favorite, and I reread Winter Solstice every Christmastime. She's great at domestic fiction.

Dorothy L. Sayers? I'm rather fond of Lord Peter Wimsey.

If you have any interest in Catholicism, then Rumer Godden is good. Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy is about an English girl in postwar (WWII) France who becomes a prostitute, a murderess and then a nun. Having written it out, it sounds a lot more sensationalist than it really is. I love In this House of Brede. It's about a widow who enters a Benedictine monastery.

Madeline L'Engle wrote some adult fiction, and A Severed Wasp is one of the better ones. It's about a retired pianist who's looking back over her life while also facing new challenges.

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible gets good reviews, though I haven't read it yet.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a totally fun and interesting novel written about life on Guernsey during and after WWII. It's an epistolary novel, and really well written.

The Poisonwood Bible is excellent. Have you ever read anything else by Barbara Kingsolver?  I love her work.

I am currently reading Harry Kemelman's Saturday The Rabbi Went Hungry (cozy mystery) and next on my list is T.C. Boyle's The Women (fictional account of Frank Lloyd Wright's life.)

MscrazyPete, did you like 11/22/63? I thought it was Stephen King's best book in a while.

Winterlight

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »
Kingsolver is on my list- it's a very long list. *g*

I loved the Rabbi books! I think I've read all of them. Conversations with Rabbi Small is my favorite, I think.
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
Caroline Lake Ingalls

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
Barbara Kingsolver's memoir Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is also very good.  A year in the life of her family on a farm determined to eat organically.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »
I'm taking another stab at James Joyce's 'Ulysses' and hoping that 20 years more of maturity will help me get through it.