Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4055 times)

MindsEye

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
I love Agatha Christie, and have just started reading the works of Mary Roberts Rinehart, who I had heard described as "the American Agatha Christie".  Most of her books are set right around the early 1900s.  They all tend to be very genteel mysteries, usually murder mysteries.

I especially liked The Circular Staircase, The Man in Lower 10, and The Window at the White Cat.  Right now I am reading  The Affair Next Door

Bonus... all of these are in the public domain so you can get them all for free from the amazon Kindle Store.

Reader

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
The Count of Monte Cristo.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
Sybil.  I read it many years ago, but I just finished reading Sybil Exposed by Debbie Nathan.  I had to refresh my memory.  Sybil Exposed was an excellent book, BTW.
I'll get there.  Eventually.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »
I have an hour long commute each way, so I listen to audiobooks daily. Right now I'm in a historical mood with them, so I'm listening to "East of the Sun", by Julia Gregson - a marvelous story about three women, one troubled young man, and India circa 1929 (and yes, it's very much tied in to the historical/political goings on of that period). Fascinating, and well done.

In 'real' books, I'm rereading Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, since the last one came out yesterday (the LAST ONE - 20+ years later.....). I'm up to book 6, and at the rate I'm going should be done when it's available in e-book format the first week of April.

I've also got four books that DP bought me for Christmas - dead tree books, which I don't read much anymore, and none of them ones I'd pick. I'm going to have to start reading them soon... she's getting antsy that I hate her choices... but those are more chores than books at this point.

MindsEye

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »
Oh if we are including audiobooks, I am currently listening my way through Ian Fleming's James Bond books while I am at the gym. 

If you are a fan of the Bond movies, be warned that Hollywood took a lot of liberties there, and in several cases the book bears very little resemblance to the correspondingly named movie.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »
I have an hour long commute each way, so I listen to audiobooks daily. Right now I'm in a historical mood with them, so I'm listening to "East of the Sun", by Julia Gregson - a marvelous story about three women, one troubled young man, and India circa 1929 (and yes, it's very much tied in to the historical/political goings on of that period). Fascinating, and well done.

In 'real' books, I'm rereading Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, since the last one came out yesterday (the LAST ONE - 20+ years later.....). I'm up to book 6, and at the rate I'm going should be done when it's available in e-book format the first week of April.

I've also got four books that DP bought me for Christmas - dead tree books, which I don't read much anymore, and none of them ones I'd pick. I'm going to have to start reading them soon... she's getting antsy that I hate her choices... but those are more chores than books at this point.

Is that Robert Jordan the final book??  I'm up to book 12 and I just don't want to get invested in the final 3 books only to discover I have to wait another bazillion years for the actual ending to the story

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »

Is that Robert Jordan the final book??  I'm up to book 12 and I just don't want to get invested in the final 3 books only to discover I have to wait another bazillion years for the actual ending to the story

It is THE LAST, full stop. On some of the RJ blogs, it's like the second coming has happened. RJ supposedly wrote the last chapter (and one that's like 50K words - a novella all by itself!). I won't buy it in dead tree form - at 912 pages and almost 2.5 pounds, my wrists ache just thinking about it.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
"What This River Keeps" by Greg Schwipps (I think that's his name  :-[ ). It's very interesting.

KimberlyM

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
Nearly finished with Gone Girl right now.  It was a gift from a co-worker.  It's taken me longer to read than anything I've read in a while, but for a good-ish reason.  I've gotten so involved with the characters that they book is actually making me anxious.

elephantschild

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »
I love Agatha Christie, and have just started reading the works of Mary Roberts Rinehart, who I had heard described as "the American Agatha Christie".  Most of her books are set right around the early 1900s.  They all tend to be very genteel mysteries, usually murder mysteries.

I especially liked The Circular Staircase, The Man in Lower 10, and The Window at the White Cat.  Right now I am reading  The Affair Next Door

Bonus... all of these are in the public domain so you can get them all for free from the amazon Kindle Store.

Oooh, thanks. :)

I'm actually looking for some new things to read too. I love fantasy and sci-fi; favorite authors are Guy Gavriel Kay, Patricia McKillip, Charles De Lint, Sharon Shinn, Tad Williams, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files ...

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate them.

It took me a while to warm up to the idea of a Kindle, but now that I have, I swear I've read more in the past few weeks since Christmas than I have in years!
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Molebert

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 04:08:10 AM »
Not reading them atm, but I want to recommend The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (first of a series). Detective sci-fi about Literary Agent (literally ;)) Thursday Next who discovers she can jump into books. When Jane Eyre is kidnapped out of the novel, Thursday has to solve the case and fix the plot.

I love, love, love those books. Love.

Otherwise, I'm reading Captain Bluebear, by Walter Moers (so funny) and The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The latter is taking me forever to get through for some reason. Been at it since September :S I usually finish books in a day or two. Strange, since I really like it.

Anyone else here on goodreads, btw?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:56:49 AM by Molebert »

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 05:05:10 AM »
Not reading them atm, but I want to recommend The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (first of a series). Detective sci-fi about Literay Agent (literally ;)) Thursday Next who discovers she can jump into books. When Jane Eyre is kidnapped out of the novel, Thursday has to solve the case and fix the plot.

I love, love, love those books. Love.

Otherwise, I'm reading Captain Bluebear, by Walter Moers (so funny) and The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The latter is taking me forever to get through for some reason. Been at it since September :S I usually finish books in a day or two. Strange, since I really like it.

Anyone else here on goodreads, btw?

Captain Bluebear is one of my all-time favourite books! I love it :)

I'm on goodreads - such an excellent site! I get a bit OCD when it comes to organizing my books ;)

Speaking of Jasper Fforde (seconding the recommendation BTW - I also love his Nursery Crime novels), I'm finally really "Shades of Grey". So far I really enjoy it.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Betelnut

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
I love Walter Moers! Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures is my favorite but they are all quite good.  Not very many people have heard of him though!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
Shada...the "lost" Doctor Who story.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 21, ds C 14, ds A 11, dh J and myself dw A

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
I just finished this one last night and I thought it was pretty cool: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6587879-horns (novel written by Stephen King's son; being made into a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe)

Some that I've read in the past year that have stuck with me:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6992964-the-shadow-of-the-wind (a young boy becomes intrigued by an author who is a very mysterious character, spends a big chunk of his life tracking the author down, beautifully written and exciting)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10002685-the-charm-school (exciting cold war drama about a school that teaches Russian spies how to be American)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8223808-the-name-of-the-wind (tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen - first book of a series, this one focuses on his childhood and is VERY well written)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52408.Queenpin (girl noir)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7116594-sharp-objects (very disturbing but in a good way!)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11569862-kasher-in-the-rye (memoir written by comedian Moshe Kasher about his childhood, teenage drug addiction and getting clean - funny, sad and hopeful)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8963005-fall-of-giants (this one is a really fascinating and exciting historical fiction focusing on WWI, the Russian Revolution and women's suffrage - loved it and learned a lot!!! first book of a trilogy)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28881.Lamb (the lost years of Jesus' life, as told by his best friend Biff - very funny and touching even to an agnostic like me!)