Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4509 times)

Cami

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
Sixteen Pleasures by Robert Hellenga. It's about an American female book conservator who volunteers to help with the art recovery after the Arno flooded Florence in the 1960s. I'm not sure if I like it yet or not!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
I second The Shadow of the Wind.  That book was amazing and I could not put it down.  I get shivers thinking about how well it was written

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »
Not reading them atm, but I want to recommend The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (first of a series). Detective sci-fi about Literay Agent (literally ;)) Thursday Next who discovers she can jump into books. When Jane Eyre is kidnapped out of the novel, Thursday has to solve the case and fix the plot.

I love, love, love those books. Love.

Otherwise, I'm reading Captain Bluebear, by Walter Moers (so funny) and The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The latter is taking me forever to get through for some reason. Been at it since September :S I usually finish books in a day or two. Strange, since I really like it.

Anyone else here on goodreads, btw?

It took me a long time to get through Name of the Wind, too. I think I was just reading it extra thoroughly because I didn't want to miss anything! And yes I'm on goodreads!

Betelnut

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
I believe I first heard about "The Name of the Wind" on eHell.  I agree--it is very good.  I'd the sequel too.  I think the third in the series comes out this year..?

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2013, 01:48:52 PM »
I love Walter Moers! Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures is my favorite but they are all quite good.  Not very many people have heard of him though!

I read City of Dreaming Books and loved it! I think I have Rumo waiting for me in my stack, good to know it's a favorite. I loved that it was just so different, but also good, and I kept putting it down because it inspired me to go work on my own writing. I always get weird looks when I tell people about it... "Okay, so there's these dinosaurs, but they wear clothes and read books and have cities, and..."
~Lynn2000

SDG31000

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
Add me to the list of Jasper Fforde fans.  I met him at a book signing last year and was a tongue tied fool.  He is very handsome  ;)

I'm currently reading Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch.  I inhaled the first two books in the series in as many days and have made myself slow down for the third one.  They are about a London Policeman who becomes an apprentice wizard.  Sort of Harry Potter crossed with a really good crime novel.  I'm suffering that strange dilema of wanting to know what happens, but not wanting the book to end as the next one isn't out until June.

Info on the books is here- http://www.the-folly.com/

Ginger G

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
I just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I just finished reading that too!  I've been on a Neil Gaiman streak lately.  I just started Ender's Game after having it in the back of my mind for years now.  I saw where the movie version is coming out, so thought I would finally read it.  Pretty good so far.  I also really enjoyed Gone Girl.

Spring Water on Sundays

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
For those who liked American Gods, have you read Anansi Boys? It brings back the character of Mr. Nancy and is more light-hearted than American Gods.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
I second The Shadow of the Wind.  That book was amazing and I could not put it down.  I get shivers thinking about how well it was written

Have you read the other books in the series? "Angel's Game" and "Prisoner of Heaven". I thought the last one was the best of the lot as it ties the two other nicely together.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

MindsEye

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
For those who liked American Gods, have you read Anansi Boys? It brings back the character of Mr. Nancy and is more light-hearted than American Gods.

I have read Anansi Boys and liked it very much. 

People who like Terry Pratchett (Diskworld) and Neil Gaiman should read Good Omens, which they wrote together.  It is hilarious!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »

Have you read the other books in the series? "Angel's Game" and "Prisoner of Heaven". I thought the last one was the best of the lot as it ties the two other nicely together.

I read Angels Game, haven't read Prisoner of Heaven
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:21:22 PM by PastryGoddess »

Spring Water on Sundays

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2013, 04:57:40 PM »
If anyone wants a quick read of mindless, silly suspense, I can't recommend the Pretty Little Liars series enough! Really fun, and I can go through each book in about a day. I think she's up to 13 books in the series now. Definitely not any sort of real enrichment for your brain - probably more like chocolate popcorn and Coke in terms of nutritional value, but it tastes good!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »
I'm reading a YA trilogy by Don Calame.  Swim the Fly, Beat the Band, and Call the Shots.  It's about three friends and each book is from a different friend's point of view.  I laughed out loud many times.  The friends are typical teenage boys, but they are nice guys getting into crazy adventures.  I like the first one the best.  The second book is a bit harder to read because the main character is not as likable as the first, although he's basically a good guy and redeems himself.  The third book is better than the second just because I like the main character better even though the plot is not as realistic.

Betelnut

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »
Gather at the Table: the healing journey of a daughter of slavery and a son of the slave trade by Thomas DeWolf and Sharon Morgan.  Written alternatively, they discuss their journey together to understand race, the lingering effects of slavery in the United States and so forth.

So far it is very thought provoking--so much so that it quite agitated me.  Lots of thinking in between reading sessions, etc. I'm only about a 1/4 into the book too!  Thomas DeWolf spoke at my church (Unitarian) a few months ago and I'm just now getting to the book.

I don't agree with some of the science presented (genetic trauma?  I'm not sure about that!) but there is still a lot of interesting ideas...
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Molebert

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2013, 02:34:08 AM »
So many Walter Moers and Jasper Fforde fans! <3. My people.

You're all killing me with all these books. I bought about 25 books at the kindle sale over the Holidays and now the list is even longer!

Forgot to add that I'm reading The Shadow of the Serpent, the first McLevy mystery. It's quite good, but I've a hard time really grasping the characters for some reason.