Author Topic: Your End of Year Rituals  (Read 1242 times)

CakeEater

Re: Your End of Year Rituals
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 03:03:52 AM »
NYE is our wedding anniversary, and we're supposed to have a drink out of the engraved cups our PIL gave us for our wedding, and I think we've actually managed to be at home (rather than staying away with family) and done it once in 7 years. Otherwise we don't really have any traditions, except for my post-Christmas diet.  :P

crella

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 03:14:01 AM »
Cleaning! Ugh, but tradition it is! I cheat though and use a pressure washer so now the glass front door and all the windows I can reach with it are sparkly.

This is the first new year's eve MIL won't be joining us, I don't know what we'll do with ourselves. She's in her 10th or 11th year of dementia and is in professional care now. We usually worked on keeping her settled and keeping one step behind her at new year's as she wandered -no disrespect meant, she has to have her samurai programs no matter what New Year's special may be on, and she is up and down every 5 minutes and the only thing that really calmed her down was Wii bowling, so it's been MIL-centric for a while now and watching one program all the way through has been impossible the past 5 years at least. We'll relax, but it will be weird....maybe some snacks and a couple of movies?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
That's a Celtic tradition, is it not? :)

MIL, who comes from near Scotland(she's Geordie), says it's a Scottish tradition. So I guess that makes it a Celtic tradition?

Ah, Hogmannay, we did that one year when we were all together.  It was great fun, especially since most of the family is Chinese.

We'll make a fondue.  That's our tradition for both Christmas and New Year's Eve.  It's easy, tasty and festive.

We haven't checked this Year's schedule but there's usually a big, public party at Grand Army Plaza.  It's an alcohol-free First Night event with hot chocolate, live music and other entertainment.  Some years, there are fireworks at midnight.  It's a cozy, family thing.  If the weather's decent we might go.

New Year's Day, we'll have a pork tenderloin with a mummy raspberry sauce, red cabbage and roast potatoes.  Of course, the Rose Parade will be watched but not the football games. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
This year I'm going to get home from work, take a shower and then get all dolled up for myself. I'm having fettuchine Alfredo with mushrooms and champagne, plus Godiva for dessert. There will be bellydancing and music, with a toast at midnight and a first foot- no coal, but all the rest. Then I will light my bayberry candle and get ready for bed.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
Our End of Year Rituals is that we try to get the house cleaned up (I have discovered Staples shredding and have taken the first load this evening!)  Cook Collards and Black Eye Peas for the NYD dinner and watch the Rose Bowl Parade.  We used to go to this party every year, but it got really boring and are now staying home (cheaper!)
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou