Author Topic: Funny gift mix-up stories  (Read 1227 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Funny gift mix-up stories
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
So, my husband has a friend, and wanted to send a gift to this friend and his fiancee for Christmas.  But the particular gift he wanted to send required some explanation.  So he picked out the gift online, wrote a note on it, "Don't open until you read the letter first!" or something like that, and sent it.  He then wrote a letter, wrote on the letter, "Wait until the box arrives, then read this letter first!" and then sent it.

However, a crazy mix-up occurred.  The box arrived before the letter, but, coincidentally, at the same time as a letter from the friend's aunt.  So the friend assumed that the box went with the letter from the aunt (even though our name/address were on the box, they missed this somehow while still seeing the "open letter first" part).  So they opened the letter and read it, even though it didn't refer to the box at all, then opened the box and assumed it was from the aunt.

The funniest part to me?  They then sent a thank-you note to the aunt, thanking her for the contents of the box!  I'm so curious how she'll react.

Our letter arrived a few days later.  They saw that it said that it went with a box, so they set it aside, and had been waiting impatiently for two weeks for the box arrived before the friend and my husband finally talked on the phone and realized the mix-up.

Another slightly funny aspect to me is that there's something in the box that is wholly inappropriate and strange for the aunt to send (although not weird for one guy to send to another), so they were kinda weirded out by that and mentioned the strangeness to some family members at Thanksgiving.  Oops!  :)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Funny gift mix-up stories
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »
Ha ha! Hopefully everyone will get a good laugh out of the story by the end, and not be offended. :)

Funny I should see this thread, I just noticed a holiday card mix-up in my mail today. My last name is Smith, as are many members of my family (naturally), and my relative sent a card addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith," with my address. I am Lynn Smith only, no one else in the house! I opened it and inside the card was written, "John, Jane, and Susie," who are my uncle, aunt, and their daughter. So clearly the relative intended the card for my uncle, but was looking at the wrong line in her address book and sent the actual card to me. I am wondering if she sent my card to this same uncle, or a third party, or not at all! I think it's just kind of funny and am looking forward to handing the card to my uncle.
~Lynn2000

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
Didya see this one on not always romantic.  I hooted like a loon

http://notalwaysromantic.com/naughty-present-tastes-nice/22084

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:51 AM »
A few years ago, we were opening gifts at my mom's house. We opened the gift from my sister to my younger son (2 at the time) and it was a pink cardigan. Obviously not for him; my sister had mixed up the tags on his and his cousin's gifts. We got a good laugh out of it and he put it on to play with the other gifts he got.  ;D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:52 AM »
The notalwaysromantic one is funny!  I read it to my husband.

Love that picture of the little guy in the cardigan!  Did he give it back for his cousin eventually, or did he keep it?  :)

Lynn's funny story actually reminded me of another Christmas mix-up, although it's a card, not a gift, like hers.  This year, we got an empty envelope!  Somebody sent us a Christmas card, minus the Christmas card.  The mailman thought it was hilarious and pointed it out to me specifically.  However, a few days later, we got *another* card, this one with some gift cards in it.  So possibly the mistake was somehow due to the intent to send us the gift cards?  Not sure, but it was pretty funny nonetheless.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:25:10 AM »
My Uncle Sean (who had 3 kids)got married to Harriot. Harriot had a child named Sam.  Sean's older brother Uncle Ronnie and his wife Aunt Barbra sent Uncle Sean's family a box of gifts. There was no gift for Sam. Not everyone on Harriot's side sent gifts to all 3 of Sean's kids so Harriot wasn't insulted. Sean knowing Ronnie and Barbra was surprised but didn't say anything.

Come the end of January Sean and Harriot get an abject appology. Ronnie and Barbra just got Sam's present back in the mail. Somehow it got in the wrong box and was sent to Barbra's family's box. With all the holiday stuff and bad Canadian winter they had just sent it back to Toronto.

What no-one could figure out is why Barbra's relatives didn't call and ask about the gift addressed to Sam instead of sending it back. Especially since they had talked to Barbra between Christmas and the gift being sent back. Barbra's relatives live 1/2 block down from Sean and Harriot on PEI. Ronnie and Barbra lived in Toronto. They could have just walked it down the block.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!