News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 03, 2015, 10:05:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1338835 times)

Snooks

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6765 on: February 21, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
All I can say, is, after the stories I see here about the US health system, thank God I live in Australia!

*waves flag in solidarity* ;D

Yeah the NHS may not be perfect (far from it), but whenever I've needed it it's come through for me without me paying a penny up front.

Just don't get me started on dentists...

StarFaerie

« Reply #6766 on: February 21, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »
All I can say, is, after the stories I see here about the US health system, thank God I live in Australia!

In addition to what's supposed to be an excellent health system, you have the extraordinarily beautiful North Coast of NSW, of which I saw images recently and which makes me want to sell everything, pack all my belongings in a duffel ( or would that be tuckerbag?) and head down your way. 😎

You might want to hold off on that, Gogi.  Most of it is flooded at the moment along with the mid and south east coasts of Queensland and parts of the Northern Territory.

The thoughts of all Australians are with those in the flood and cyclone damaged areas.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6767 on: February 21, 2015, 05:30:51 PM »
Please don't discuss US health care at this time. It is a political hot bed right now.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6768 on: February 21, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »
I would bet those posting in this thread don't want to see it locked, so enough with the insurance stories.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Redsoil

« Reply #6769 on: February 22, 2015, 03:29:01 AM »
Gogi - don't let a little bit of flooding put you off!  The North Coast is very pretty, and the floods will subside quickly.  Queenslanders had it far worse, especially around Rackhampton and Yeppoon. 

Meanwhile, in North-West NSW, we're back in drought again!  Australia - gotta love it! 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Gogi

« Reply #6770 on: February 22, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »
Gogi - don't let a little bit of flooding put you off!  The North Coast is very pretty, and the floods will subside quickly.  Queenslanders had it far worse, especially around Rackhampton and Yeppoon. 

Meanwhile, in North-West NSW, we're back in drought again!  Australia - gotta love it!

Thank you, Redsoil. News of what's happening down there hit my local 11 pm news last nite and it looks like tough going. Good thoughts to all of you!

Reika

« Reply #6771 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
Best wishes to all the Aussies there with their extreme weather. :)

A recent trip I made to Radioshack to get a USB cable (it was a lovely trip, incredibly helpful people) reminded me of an awful trip to Circuit City (CC), and if they treated other people the way they did me, I can see why they went out of business. Yes, there was a Best Buy in the area (the only other electronics store in the area), but they were overly expensive and known as Best Try even then.

This was going back, er, well, almost 13-14 years now and still a lot of snobbishness towards women with tech. The encounter made me so hopping mad that it still stands out in my memory and probably a contribution towards why I prefer online shopping these days.

I'd been saving up to build a new machine and CC was having this massive sale on assorted computer parts. After going through their ad, I saw that I could build myself what I wanted easily, made a list, circled the various parts of the ad I wanted and went off. Mom came along since she wanted to get herself a new TV and they had one on sale that looked good to her.

Once we got to the store we split up and agreed on where to meet at a certain time since neither of us had cellphones then.

I'm going happily on my way getting what I was looking for until I hit the video cards. The one I wanted was out of stock, so I figured I'd take a look to see what else they had until I could find a salesperson to check the back for me. I'm about halfway through the aisle when a salesman shows up and asks if he can help. So I ask about the video card I was looking for.

His response in the most condescending tone imaginable, "Are you sure you want a video card, little girl?"

Now, this wasn't the first time a guy treated me like this, but it was the most obnoxious so I just sputtered at him in shock. He notices the stuff in my cart and asks, "Oh, do you have someone else with you like your father and boyfriend?"

Now I'm just incredibly angry, and I know my response is not eHell approved and I know better now, but at the time...

Well, I smacked the circular into his chest and said, "I'm not a little girl, I don't need anyone else to tell me what to do with a computer and your store just lost a couple thousand dollars worth of sales because of you."

I angrily stomped off in search of mom to tell her that we're leaving now and she isn't to spend her money in this place. Well, she was stomping angrily in search of me because some jerk tried to sell her some antiquated piece of garbage that was priced way higher than it should have been.

When I got home, I ranted and raved about the treatment I received to some friends online and that is when I got introduced to Newegg. They didn't have any TVs at the time, otherwise mom would've gotten her stuff there too.

I don't go t any other stores since finding Newegg unless there's some sort of mishap and I need something replaced right now.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6772 on: February 22, 2015, 02:46:54 PM »
...and that's why brick-and-mortar stores are dying faster than print advertising.

Reika

« Reply #6773 on: February 22, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
Exactly. I've gotten bad service where people ignore you and such, but I haven't encountered that level of condescension since, not even when I worked in various call centers.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #6774 on: February 22, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
Can two 60+ year-old Americans come live near you? TIRED of US "healthcare", TIRED of nasty pay-to-play politics, just want to find someplace with decent healthcare, less extreme climate (-12F to +99F last year) and moderate living costs. Does such a place exist? E-Hellions?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6775 on: February 22, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
I think it was a CompUSA where I went to buy a printer.  The old dot-matrix machine had breathed its last, and I had a newly revised manuscript to print that the editor wanted ASAP.  So I was standing in the aisle comparing printers when a young male employee bustled up beside me and started showing me the pretty pictures that these new color printers would make.  "I'm not interested in a color printer, because I have no use for one.  (Still don't.)  I'm a writer.  I need something for manuscripts, so I'm interested in higher speeds for plain black printing."

"Oh.  Well, this machine makes even better color pictures, and faster." 

"Not color. Black and white printing. For manuscripts." 

And darned if he didn't try to push another color printer on me.

I took the time on the way out to collar a manager and tell him why he'd lost a sale and I was going elsewhere.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6776 on: February 22, 2015, 06:31:30 PM »
Can two 60+ year-old Americans come live near you? TIRED of US "healthcare", TIRED of nasty pay-to-play politics, just want to find someplace with decent healthcare, less extreme climate (-12F to +99F last year) and moderate living costs. Does such a place exist? E-Hellions?

Gagged for not following mod instructions just a few posts upthread. I don't think it's fair at this point to shut the thread down but I have no problems with gagging or banning people if they continue to post in this vein.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

HorseFreak

« Reply #6777 on: February 22, 2015, 08:40:35 PM »
I think it was a CompUSA where I went to buy a printer.  The old dot-matrix machine had breathed its last, and I had a newly revised manuscript to print that the editor wanted ASAP.  So I was standing in the aisle comparing printers when a young male employee bustled up beside me and started showing me the pretty pictures that these new color printers would make.  "I'm not interested in a color printer, because I have no use for one.  (Still don't.)  I'm a writer.  I need something for manuscripts, so I'm interested in higher speeds for plain black printing."

"Oh.  Well, this machine makes even better color pictures, and faster." 

"Not color. Black and white printing. For manuscripts." 

And darned if he didn't try to push another color printer on me.

I took the time on the way out to collar a manager and tell him why he'd lost a sale and I was going elsewhere.

I avoided CompUSA like the plague when they were open. Shopping in there was like being a baby antelope circled by hyenas. My BF at the time did some part time demonstration work for tech items and worked a little at one of their stores. I refused to go back in after the first time when I was practically attacked by staff trying to sell me items I didn't ask for or use. BF filled me in that they worked on commission and refused to step off the sales floor to get him the merchandising items that were shipped to the store.

Reika

« Reply #6778 on: February 22, 2015, 08:42:57 PM »
CompUSA never gave me too many problems, I just didn't bother with them because they're usually more expensive than Newegg. The local one to me is really nice, they leave well enough alone if I tell them I'm just looking.