Author Topic: computers  (Read 3201 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: computers
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 05:28:57 PM »
Lucas's older brother and sister-in-law, both over 70, have never gotten a computer and are still talking about it. Brother has no patience and I really shudder to think that they may get one and call me or their grandchildren for help. At first I was willing, but it has gone on too long (15 years) and they obviously don't have the enthusiasm or dedication anymore, and I know their learning abilities have deteriorated. Scares me and makes me sad, but that's it. (I'm only a little younger, but had to teach computer skills and programming for my job, so kind of grew up with the industry, and I'm still pretty shaky on a lot of things.)

Depending on what they want one for, I'd highly recommend an iPad.  It's much cheaper, less intimidating to use, and it doesn't require the same type of maintenance that a computer does.  You can be a lot more clueless about good browsing practices, virus protection, etc. and not have to deal with things going wrong.  The app store is also pretty intuitive, so once you walk an elderly relative through it once or twice they can actually get new apps themselves.

(We got MIL an iPad for her birthday this year - she's purposely helpless on most computer issues, but she's taken to the iPad really well!)

I have an original iPad and still need a computer to sync it with and load some probrams. Have they changed so they can be independent?

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »
The update is good, kaybee.  One thing that I might have added is "No, I don't know anyone, but there are people you can pay at 'whatever place' to take lessons."

Sometimes people pay more attention when they are talking to a professional.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »
Luci, I think I only needed a computer to register an Apple ID (which can be done at an Apple store) - I haven't plugged it into my computer since.