General Etiquette > Family and Children

Opening presents at birthday parties

<< < (2/7) > >>

kherbert05:
My sister and cousins do not have their kids open the presents at the parties anymore  - because people did NOT control their kids. Kids were ripping open presents and there was no way to know what came from who. Also parts were lost/things broken.

shygirl:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on December 29, 2012, 05:46:25 PM ---My sister and cousins do not have their kids open the presents at the parties anymore  - because people did NOT control their kids. Kids were ripping open presents and there was no way to know what came from who. Also parts were lost/things broken.

--- End quote ---

Are the guests disappointed by this?  I know a lot of people like to watch the birthday child open the presents, but I'm leaning towards not opening presents at the party because I'm finding, as your family has also observed, that people do not watch their children. 

Hmmmmm:
My kids always had a friends bday party and a separate party with just the GPs, aunts, and uncles.  At the family party they were free to unwrap and open up the gifts to get a better look or start playing with them.  At the friends party, I always sat close to the child opening the gifts and after it was opened and oohed and ahhed over by the bday child and friends, I'd take it, write done what it was and who from, and put it to the side while the next gift was opened.  I do remember one of my DDs friends who was always so excited by the gift she'd chosen she would try to get us to open it up but I always told her no, that she could come over some other time to play with DD and it.

TootsNYC:
I like when kids open presents at their b'day parties. My own kids were coached through the process of picking up a really good gift for their friend, and they were usually excited to see them open it, and see that they liked it.

But I also coached my kids about their idea that, excited though they may be, the gift was not *theirs,* and so my kids wouldn't have opened the recipient's gift.

I tended to take the presents under tight control, and then also control how they were opened. Much the way Hmmmm describes. It worked.

But I found that most of the kids I knew really did have the discipline needed to watch someone open their own presents without grabbing. However, that's because they were all in daycare together, so they had the same social code and social training.

I liked having a tightly controlled present opening, because I felt it was part of the social training we're supposed to receive.

We even once opened the game DD had been given, and all the little kids played it. It was a nice moment in the party! But everyone could play that game.

Of course, we also had a smaller group of kids!

Rohanna:
My son would be extremely disappointed if his gift wasn't opened at the party- he really likes to see the person get what he picked out for them. I'd try and coach him through it, but it definately would be a damper for him.

However, we never open the toys at a party- just the wrapping. The only exception was, as he has summer parties, the new lawn sprinkle toy got put to use. All the kids were already in bathing suits, so it seemed appropriate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version