Author Topic: When you find something in a public place?  (Read 3182 times)

snowdragon

Re: When you find something in a public place?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
I found a credit card last time I was in toronto - on a public sidewalk between Roy Thomson Music Hall and Wellington Street and popped it into a night depository box for the bank that issued it.  It may not get back to the person it belonged to - but it was not going to be used fraudulently, either.  I am never sure how to handle such things, but I think making sure no one can use it( in the case of things like credit or debit cards)  - or turning it in someplace where it has a chance to be returned to the owners is the right thing to do

thunderroad

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
I found a credit card last time I was in toronto - on a public sidewalk between Roy Thomson Music Hall and Wellington Street and popped it into a night depository box for the bank that issued it.  It may not get back to the person it belonged to - but it was not going to be used fraudulently, either.  I am never sure how to handle such things, but I think making sure no one can use it( in the case of things like credit or debit cards)  - or turning it in someplace where it has a chance to be returned to the owners is the right thing to do

I found a bank card at an ATM once and tried calling the bank, thinking it could be returned to the owner.  The bank simply canceled the card--which might not have been convenient for the cardholder, but at least there were no fraudulent withdrawals or transactions on the card.

Shea

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
I think turning it in to the authorities is the best plan. When we get lost electronics turned into us at the library, we (or rather me, since I'm the youngest staff member by more than a decade and everyone assumes that I'll be the best at retrieving information from random electronics ::)) fiddle around with them and try to retrieve information about the owner. If we find it, we email them and let them know we have their phone/iPod/camera/really high-tech calculator.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.