General Etiquette > Life...in general

"You can give So and SO your old one!"

<< < (12/12)

Bluenomi:
Don't you love family entitlement  ::)

I had a car that my parents bought me after they sold their car to move overseas. They were leaving me behind since I was at uni and didn't want to leave me with my old bomb so got me a brand new car. It was registered in Dad's name but I paid all the bills for it.

When I got a new car 11 years later I asked Dad if they wanted it back or any money that I got for selling it. I had a sister learning to drive at the time and another one was going to be able to learn soon so thought my car might be useful for them. Dad asked driving sister if she wanted to buy it and she said no. So Dad said since I'd paid all the bills, I could sell it and keep the money (which wasn't much partly because it had a huge dint on it where driving sister drove Dad's car into it)

Driving sister had a fit when she found out that she wasn't getting my car. Apparently she should have gotten it for free since my parents had bought me the car and she should be intitled to it as well. Dad just laughed at her, she had her chance as far as he was concerned to buy it and turned the offer down so was out of luck.

5 years later and sister still hasn't gotten around to getting her licence. Other sister did and my parents bought her a cheap car which really annoyed the other sister  ;D

Sara Crewe (previously Tia2):

--- Quote from: Bluenomi on January 08, 2013, 05:52:16 PM ---Don't you love family entitlement  ::)

I had a car that my parents bought me after they sold their car to move overseas. They were leaving me behind since I was at uni and didn't want to leave me with my old bomb so got me a brand new car. It was registered in Dad's name but I paid all the bills for it.

When I got a new car 11 years later I asked Dad if they wanted it back or any money that I got for selling it. I had a sister learning to drive at the time and another one was going to be able to learn soon so thought my car might be useful for them. Dad asked driving sister if she wanted to buy it and she said no. So Dad said since I'd paid all the bills, I could sell it and keep the money (which wasn't much partly because it had a huge dint on it where driving sister drove Dad's car into it)

Driving sister had a fit when she found out that she wasn't getting my car. Apparently she should have gotten it for free since my parents had bought me the car and she should be intitled to it as well. Dad just laughed at her, she had her chance as far as he was concerned to buy it and turned the offer down so was out of luck.

5 years later and sister still hasn't gotten around to getting her licence. Other sister did and my parents bought her a cheap car which really annoyed the other sister  ;D

--- End quote ---

I can actually see her point here - it appears your parents were happy to pay for cars for you and your other sister, but expected your second sister to pay for a car?  I'm sure there is back story here, but as it stands from your post, it seems she is being treated differently to her siblings for some reason and I can see why she was upset, particularly if your father laughed at her for expecting to have her parents to buy her a car when they had already bought a newer car for her older sibling.

I'd be very upset too.

NyaChan:
I'm a little confused as well - when you say you paid for the bills, do you mean you paid for the car or that you covered repairs and insurance by yourself?  If nothing else, it seems the other sister did receive a car free and clear, so I can see why she would be upset.  For example, my parents bought my sister a used car to drive & also gave her their used, but nice car to replace it.  I didn't get a used car in high school and there were no extra cars to give after she got their extra.  If they laughed at me for suggesting that I should get that first used car, I would be upset too as my sister received 2 used cars from them and I would have received nothing comparable.  In actuality my parents bought me a new car in college to even things out, and my sister did grumble a bit about not having ever gotten a new car until she was reminded that she had gotten two different cars & much earlier than I got a car of my own.

Bluenomi:

--- Quote from: NyaChan on January 09, 2013, 02:25:59 AM ---I'm a little confused as well - when you say you paid for the bills, do you mean you paid for the car or that you covered repairs and insurance by yourself?  If nothing else, it seems the other sister did receive a car free and clear, so I can see why she would be upset.  For example, my parents bought my sister a used car to drive & also gave her their used, but nice car to replace it.  I didn't get a used car in high school and there were no extra cars to give after she got their extra.  If they laughed at me for suggesting that I should get that first used car, I would be upset too as my sister received 2 used cars from them and I would have received nothing comparable.  In actuality my parents bought me a new car in college to even things out, and my sister did grumble a bit about not having ever gotten a new car until she was reminded that she had gotten two different cars & much earlier than I got a car of my own.

--- End quote ---

I paid the rego, insurance and serivces for the car which would have ended up being as much as the cost of the car was by the time I sold it. My parents paid for the car because they were moving to the other side of the world and leaving me homeless pretty much (I had to move into uni accomadation and pay for that instead of being able to leave at home rent free)

Sister who got a car got a very cheap used car and paid all costs on it once it was bought. Part of the reason she got it was because my parents got her to drive youngest sister around a lot and their cars weren't always avaliable. They didn't buy it until after she's been driving with a licence for a while and had a job to pay for the bills.

Other sister still (5 years later) doesn't have her licence so never needed her own car. Plus she refused to get a job to pay for petrol etc so asking her to pay for my car was a test. If she wasn't willing to pay for a car, my parents knew she wasn't going to every be willing to pay for anything to do with it. She would have never actually paid for the car, it was to see if she really wanted it.

Bascially she wanted something for free that she didn't really need just because I'd gotten one before her. She does this a lot. Other sister got a new laptop when she started uni, sister complained she didn't get one as well. Never mind she a) never went to uni b) already had a fairly new laptop my parents had bought her and c) had gone through 3 more laptops during high school than other sister.

ShadowLady:
A close friend of mine inherited a sizable sum from her now deceased father ($3-400,000).

When I learned of that, 'congratulations' was the first word out of my mouth.  Next, I strongly advised her to see a financial planner, or if not, to sock at least half of it away into a retirement account, before deciding on any big purchases.

I will admit I jokingly said I would accept any donation towards buying me an iPad, and we both laughed, and it was never again mentioned.

When my husband gets various new electronic toys, the question does go around the family if he is giving the old one away.  So far, I got his Kindle when he got his original iPad with Kindle reading software on it.  And when he got an iPad2, he gave his iPad 1 to his father, after I turned it down.  Hubby's sister bought her own kindle after he gave his to me,   No ill-feelings from anyone, thankfully, but then his family are really nice people.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version