Author Topic: Pointed Stares  (Read 2235 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Pointed Stares
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:17:07 PM »
I have been ignoring pointed stares for a while now.  My personal space has been invaded a number of times and I'm being trampled all over.  All of this passive aggressiveness is getting to me and the room is thick with tension.  Why can't they just ask me for what they really want instead of all of this innuendo?  It's like if I make just one wrong move I'll be pounced on and it's irritating!  I offer one thing and all I get is turned up noses; I offer another thing and I'm completely ignored!  It's like nothing I actually do is right!

If I would just let the dogs out, maybe they would leave me alone  >:D

*They're not allowed outside right now because there is a party next door and they won't stop barking at everyone.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Pointed Stares
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:23:05 PM »
Sounds like my cat. When he decides it's bed time he'll go up to our room where he'll call and call for me. If I don't come up he'll come down and stare at me. If I still don't go up he'll curl up in my lap and go to sleep without me. lol

My friend has texted me before "Sigh, I have to go. Dog is making me go to bed." LOL. He sits at the top of the stairs and whines and whines until she goes up. It drives her crazy, so she goes. (He's very well behaved otherwise but she indulges him in this)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
That's really cute, Mental Magpie!   Very clever.   ;)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:19:48 AM »
Abby and Andi are mad at me right now because I "should have been in bed 3 hours ago". I'm on vacation. They have been waking me up at 3:30 each morning. I let them out, bring them in and go back to bed for a few more hours.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
My kitty will groom me in the mornings when she wants me to wake up. Nothing like waking up to the feeling of a rough kitty tongue on your hands or face!  She does this in addition to walking up and down the length of the bed next to me, bumping her head against me and talking. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jones

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »
Max licked my lips this morning. I figured at that point it would be prudent to kick out all the silently staring dogs; apparently they'd double dared her to do something that would result in my action. It worked...though I had to have a good scrub while they were in the yard.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »
In the morning, when my alarm first goes off (I'm a 'snooze twice' kind of girl) if the dog feels like we went to bed too early the night before, he jumps on my pillow and nudges me in the head. If this fails to get me up, he then jumps on my back (I'm a stomach sleeper) and won't move until I just start sitting up with him still there. He gets bonus points if he stays there until I've gotten to my knees, backed off the end of the bed, and am standing there, bent over double, so that he can jump off onto the bed.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 05:11:29 PM »
When he was single, Mr. Thipu would take in the malamute of a neighbor when said neighbor was away for one reason or another. 

The dog was a sweetheart but there was one problem. Mr. Thipu liked to sleep a little later than the owner of the dog.

It wasn't unusual for the large creature to plop his head on the bed and wait patiently.  As soon as the slightest sign of awakening was detected, the malamute would emit a loud bark.  It was his way of saying, 'Enough, already!  Get up NOW!'.

phred246

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
     Sounds like a German Shepard that my parents had many years ago! I had a summer job when I was 21, and every other week, I came home past midnight. Mom always had a snack on the kitchen table for me. The dog would come downstairs and wait (impatiently) for me to finish eating so that we could go to bed. He really hated it on Friday nights when I got home even later as I stopped for a pizza on the way home! A few times he got disgusted enough to grab me by the hand and drag me upstairs!
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 12:28:54 AM »
Heeheehee!! I love that! Isn't it funny how animals get used to to the household routines?

My best friend has a gray tomcat with a very LOUD meow.  And she has a screen door at the bottom of her stairs to keep him from going up and bothering her tuxedo cat during the night, as the tuxedo cat likes to sleep with her.  Well the gray cat in the mornings will sit at the base of the stairs and meow until she comes downstairs.  Which means he did it when I was there to visit. I was sleeping on the hideabed in her parlor.

Well at 7am every morning I'd hear "MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!" until friend came down the stairs saying "Alright Harry, I hear you!"  Luckily friend and I are both morning people, and being from the east coast, their 7 was my 8 so I was usually starting to wake up at that time anyway.

And every night when we'd unfold the hide-a-bed, the tuxedo cat, Jack, would run under the couch and we'd have to fish him out so she could take him up to bed with her.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shopaholic

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 08:38:03 AM »
My dog spends most of her days sleeping (preferrably on the couch).
She will wake me at 5:30 AM if she is bored by standing far enough away from me so I can't shove her away and whining loudly.

My parents' dog will just stare at you when she wants you to wake. If that doesn't work, she will start wagging her tail, then her tail wags her entire body, and if all else fails she will place her leg on your shoulder.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
For some years, the upstairs neighbors had a dog that was a very effective alarm clock.  Their bedroom was directly over ours so we heard this almost every morning.   

About 6 AM the dog, who was a sweet little thing, would bring in a ball and drop it with a resounding 'thump'.  That never bothered us because that was our standard wake-up time.  However, it was amusing. 

greencat

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
Yep.  When I have a day when I go into work later, or a day off, I tell people - "I can reset my alarm clock all I want - but I can't reset my dog!"
Or, for that matter, the kitty chorus - although I can ameliorate that by making sure their food bowls are topped up before I go to bed the night before.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:10 PM »
It's getting worse in my house.  My dogs know I get up at 0430, and in anticipation of that, will start stirring at about 0345.  That wakes me up early and then I'm cranking.  I talk down to them when I let them out and try to get another 45 minutes of sleep before I have to actually get my body in motion.

The pointed stares were coming from both my dogs and the Stork's dogs; I had four of them just staring at me and pathetically wagging their tails in a bid to get me to let them out when they knew they weren't allowed outside.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 11:26:47 PM »
Reading some of these reminded me of another cat we used to have. Puddy never begged for food BUT when I was eating something he was interested in he'd get up on the back of the couch, just to the side of my head, and place one paw gently on my shoulder. He never made a sound or moved his paw, it would just rest there patiently as if to say "Hello. I'd like a taste of that when you're finished, thanks." Cracked me up!  ;D

A kitty we have now, Cosmo (brother to DD's cat, Wanda  ;)) has a less subtle technique. As soon as we start cooking he hops right up into a kitchen chair and waits at the table. As soon as we all sit he'll sit off to the side and the instant anyone gets up (for a drink, napkin, utensil, etc) he steals their seat. I have so many pictures of him waiting at the table because I just think it's hilarious every time. And no, we never fix him a plate, guess he figures there might be a first time eventually if he persists? lol