Author Topic: Thank you when you never received the gift  (Read 1063 times)

dancingthroughlife

Thank you when you never received the gift
« on: January 01, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »
Hi folks,

I have been lurking for a while and I now have my first question.

My oldest sister (S1) lives across the country from me and the rest of the family.  She (for some reason) sent my gift and my brother's gift to our other sister's (S2) house.  When me, brother, and S2 all met up at my parents' house on Christmas Day, S2 forgot to bring S1's gift to me.  S2 said she would drop it off at my parents' house the next time she was in their area.  However, she does not stop by there very often and I live even further away so I am also not around there very often.  As a result, I have no idea when I will actually receive this gift.  I'm concerned about a thank you card.  S1 is not very good with them, she has yet to thank me for the gift I sent to her (she did let me know that it was received).  However, I would like to be the example.

Any advice?  Should I write a card when I finally open the gift?  What if I never receive it from S2? Also, is there some way that I could nicely suggest that she send things directly to me? 

Thanks you all :)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Thank you when you never received the gift
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
I think I'd call her and make kind of a joke about it - "Hey, thank you for the gift! I don't actually have it yet cuz sis forgot to bring it, haha, but it was sweet of you to send something." That will probably provide an opening for you to suggest she send you things directly.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »
I think I'd call her and make kind of a joke about it - "Hey, thank you for the gift! I don't actually have it yet cuz sis forgot to bring it, haha, but it was sweet of you to send something." That will probably provide an opening for you to suggest she send you things directly.

Perfect.

Polly

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »
Yes, I think gramma dishes has the only solution. This is why I love this forum - this is an etiquette situation that is difficult to legislate for, but a genuine dilemma when it happens! I am sure your sister will understand, and it migth have the result of her sending gifts to you direct without you having to ask. At least, you have a good opening to bring the discussion round to that suggestion in a really nice way.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »
Yes, I think gramma dishes has the only solution. This is why I love this forum - this is an etiquette situation that is difficult to legislate for, but a genuine dilemma when it happens! I am sure your sister will understand, and it migth have the result of her sending gifts to you direct without you having to ask. At least, you have a good opening to bring the discussion round to that suggestion in a really nice way.

Actually, it was JenJay's solution.  I was merely agreeing with her.   :)