Author Topic: Odd Interaction At The Customer Service Desk  (Read 5116 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: Odd Interaction At The Customer Service Desk
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 11:54:55 PM »
This is a very weak explanation for choosing to answer a phone over serving a waiting person, but I had one boss tell me "The phone call is a chance for you to capture new business, and the person waiting at the desk to be served is already guaranteed business."

Definitely weak. That boss is wrong. if I'm waiting at the desk to be served, I can still walk out, and have done before when I got tired of waiting. The person waiting to actually spend money at the desk is probably the one you don't want to annoy.

I agree with the customer that the clerk should have picked up the phone, asked the caller to hold for a moment, and then gone and finished her transaction. I've worked tons of retail and found that this is what works best. Though I do know what a difficult juggling act it can be when management expects you to pick up within three rings, and you have three lines ringing, a line-up of customers right in front of you, another person wanting help somewhere out on the floor, and the store has recently cut back on staff to save on payroll and still expects you to accomplish all this. And to top it off, your coworker is on their break. There is bound to be somebody angry at you or thinking you should be doing things in a different order. But in this instance I do agree with the customer who said she should have put that customer on hold; it's not good to abandon someone mid-transaction.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I worked directly with customers :) I was told to always deal with the customers in front of you and put the customers who call on hold or transfer them to someone else.  My managers reasoning was that they didn't want to lose an actual sale to a potential sale.

I don't know if that is accurate (the reasoning) or not. 

We weren't in any rush, so it wasn't bothering me to wait, but I wasn't the next person in line so I guess I didn't really get a vote. :)

That's how it works at my job. You deal with the live body first and either put the caller on hold or transfer it.

Whatever the policy, whining to the next person in line was very rude and foolish.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

BarensMom

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »
These stores with the phone trumps customer policy obviously doesn't realize that the caller is probably sitting at home, in comfort, while the customer standing in line has gone to the expense and trouble to make the trip and is willing to spend here and now.  A bird in the hand...

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 06:53:42 PM »
This is a very weak explanation for choosing to answer a phone over serving a waiting person, but I had one boss tell me "The phone call is a chance for you to capture new business, and the person waiting at the desk to be served is already guaranteed business."

ETA- I think it's a terrible business practice to make customers wait while you handle phone calls.

Wow.  I've left a store never to come back because someone picked up the phone and refused to finish my transaction.  I ride the bus and have a set amount of time between transfers.