No Snowflake Soup for you!

<< < (6/8) > >>

GreenHall:

--- Quote from: Venus193 on January 03, 2013, 10:15:21 PM ---

It's reply #5 on this page:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.0

--- End quote ---

THank you!
(...I had also forgotten where I was reading when I saw and requested this...)

Also will have to dig into the other soup recipes...mmm

Shea:

--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on January 03, 2013, 12:12:59 PM ---Thinking about this, I suspect I could make a soup with matzoh balls that was vegetarian (I generally use vegetable oil in the matzoh balls, not chicken fat), but I wouldn't feel right about presenting it as matzoh ball soup, because the broth is so much a part of the whole experience.

Tangenting a bit, folks, do you think I could make a reasonable matzoh ball soup with just chicken broth, matzoh balls, and maybe a little bit of celery? (There's no chicken in the house, only chicken broth.)

--- End quote ---

That's how my Jewish boyfriend makes it, just matzoh balls and chicken broth, no celery even. And it's delicious.

strangetimes:
I've made vegetarian matzoh ball soup-  I don't do it these days, because my husband can't have any grains, but I used to add matzoh balls to all kinds of soup- I like lots of 'stuff' in my soup.

I've always made my matzoh balls with oil, so I just add them to the soup when it's cooked a bit- they go well with everything!

amyg:
Just need to point out that MY mom's traditional matzoh ball soup isn't vegetarian, but doesn't involve chicken, either. It's made with flanken (i.e., kosher short ribs), and has a richer flavor than chicken varieties. Now that flanken is so expensive, she often makes it with chicken instead, and it's fine, but flanken is still my favorite.

Bottlecaps:
Wow. I was a vegetarian for three and a half years (as a teenager) and never once demanded that my family alter a recipe or a meal just for me. In fact, a lot of my cooking training came from learning to make my own vegetarian versions of my favorite meals. However, some meals simply can't be duplicated in a vegetarian or vegan fashion and still turn out well. I'm glad your soup turned out well. I've never had matzoh ball soup but it sounds good! Perhaps I should try it sometime. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version