Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

No Snowflake Soup for you!

<< < (7/8) > >>

Danika:
I'd never had matzo ball soup either. This thread inspired me to get a recipe from allrecipes.com and try it out myself!! It was pretty good, but it did take some time to make the matzo balls.

lowspark:
I make a vegetarian matzo ball soup every year at Passover in addition to the regular kind with chicken broth & fat. My son is a vegetarian so he eats the veg version while the rest of us eat the traditional one. It's easy. I just use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can buy vegetable boullion cubes at the grocery store, Knorr makes them, or vegetable soup base from Penzey's. Then just use olive oil or vegetable oil instead of chicken fat in the matzo balls.

No, it doesn't taste identical to the chicken kind. But it's still pretty good. Especially if you throw in a bunch of chunks of vegetables into the soup to give it some oomph.

Not that the OP should have accommodated her vegetarian friend's request. I agree that it was ok for friend to ask once but then she should have taken "no" for a answer and made her own veg soup if she really wanted that. I'm just saying that vegetarian matzo ball soup is not only possible,  it can be quite good.

White Lotus:
I am just going on smell because I have never actually tasted chicken soup (lifelong veg), so it doesn't seem that veg matzoh ball soup would work, in that it would be quite different in flavor.  But now that I know a number of you have tried it and it is still good, I think I will give it a whirl. 

strangetimes:

--- Quote from: White Lotus on February 14, 2013, 09:39:35 PM ---I am just going on smell because I have never actually tasted chicken soup (lifelong veg), so it doesn't seem that veg matzoh ball soup would work, in that it would be quite different in flavor.  But now that I know a number of you have tried it and it is still good, I think I will give it a whirl.

--- End quote ---

We often add matzoh balls to all kinds of veggie soups. The matzoh balls just absorb whatever soup and flavors you put them in to. In fact, I was just at an event where the caterer was a vegetable soup that had a base of quinoa and tons of mini matzoh balls- it was delicious!

JacklynHyde:
For the record, if I had vegetable stock or soup in the house, I might have made the second batch (I can make it vegetarian but not vegan without wrecking it).  I had fresh chicken stock and that was it.  Giving in to the repeated requests would have meant a trip to the store and money for additional ingredients.  Not possible.

Now that I'm seeing this thread again, I think it's time to make some more matzo balls!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version