Author Topic: All sorts of special at work.  (Read 7326 times)

grummblebunny

All sorts of special at work.
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
I'm still hopping mad about this.  Kind of ranty so if this is in the wrong place please move!

A little background first.  I work in Loss Prevention for a retailer.  (I deal with theft and fraud.)  Every year we have to do an open house to clear up some misconceptions about my department and push our reporting line.  I did an open house at a store in the metro area that I am from.  I am at this store once a week.  End BG

I come to the store before opening with treats (cupcakes and punch in tow).  The store manager and I had worked out ahead of time that in addition to the treats we would have a ugly holiday sweater contest and give prizes.  I placed the cupcakes in the fridge along with the punch.  I marked them with a note please don't open or use for the LP open house. 

Two hours pass and I am ready to set up.  I open the fridge and the cupcakes have been opened and gone through and several are missing and the punch is opened.  The note is still attached.  Sadly this is a frequent happening.  I solider on.  I had gotten a few extra but the count was tight as we have a budget.  I conduct the open house and pass the treats out.  Here is where the problem begins.  People begin asking for a second cupcake.  I tell them that if I have any left I will let them have them however I have limited treats for people and I want to make sure everyone has a chance at them. 

Two ladies who are supervisors would JUST. NOT. LET. IT.GO, whining like a child about being hungry and wanting another cupcake, casting longing glaces at the boxes, pa remarks if someone declined a cupcake.  I take a break from the trainings and leave the break room and when I come back and find one of these supervisors mid nosh of a cupcake....I just shake my head and walk out.   I finish out the trainings and it continues to get just stupid about these cupcakes.  These supervisors are still whining about wanting another cupcake including the cupcake nosher.  I had enough I told them fine we are having a blizzard employees are calling in have the cupcake just take them out of the open box, nope they had to open the sealed box because the plastic toys on top were "prettier".  I gave up and went to my office and headdesked.

So wise ones, any suggestions on what I can do differently next time?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: All sorts of special at work.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »
Apparently we now know where some of the "loss" you're trying to prevent is coming from?  You've got employees stealing cupcakes and beverages from the 'We're Here Today To Talk About Stealing' people!!   Good grief!!   :o

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
"I'm sorry but unfortunately, due to an employee stealing a number of the cupcakes before the meeting, I no longer have enough for everyone to have seconds. Perhaps if you could address the break-room thefts before the next meeting we'll have more to go around?"  >:D

As for next time I wouldn't bring snacks. Your budget is tight, there's a thief among you AND it sounds like the treats ended up being a distraction anyway (As if you were in a room full of toddlers!). I'd let the supervisors know that, next time, everyone should feel free to bring something if they don't get a chance to eat before the meeting.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:08:04 PM by JenJay »

buvezdevin

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »
Gramma dishes makes an excellent point, and not knowing the content you review in this presentation, making a point of discussig individual's (customer or employee) sense of entitlement due to "but I want it" versus, paying for it or following clear rules may be warranted.

Otherwise, is an inexpensive styrofoam cooler an option, and/or handing out treats *after* the presentation?

If you have to use a communal refrigerator, your next note on treats could mention that they are for the "loss prevention" meeting, and those who do not understand "loss prevention" or following rules against "taking without permission" may need further training.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

doodlemor

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
Does your office have a lock on the door?  Do you have access to a locked area?  If you do bring treats again, get something that doesn't need refrigeration and lock it up.  Put the leftovers back in the lock up, too.

Your frustration is understandable.  It's too bad that the honest employees will likely be losing their treats due to the crooks in the group.

Amara

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
I would say don't bring anything except that punishes those who did not steal them nor whine. Why hurt all the good people. Could the punch and cupcakes be locked up in the manager's office, with the punch in a cooler with some ice?

grummblebunny

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 06:15:04 AM »
OP here, thank you all for responding.  I was concerned about the note or saying something to the effect about people taking cupcakes was PA, as people at this store tend to get their feelings hurt over the slightest thing (real or imagined).  As for keeping them in the office I guess I will have to to that, the office but there doubles as a oven and I didn't want to serve melted buttercreme but I guess I have to.

On a side note we have opened some investigations after this because if you are stealing free food what else are you doing.   ;)

cheyne

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
I understand that you are on the loss prevention side, OP.  Is the store manager aware of the whiny entitlement attitudes of the supervisors working in the store?  You can't improve the rest of the folks when you have supervisors like that. 

These supervisors need to be treated the same as toddlers.  Do not have given in to them, blizzard or no, as all you taught them was how whiny and how many times they needed to ask before you broke down.  As for opening the new box for "prettier toys"?  NO words here.

Definitely look into theft in the store.  If someone would steal party food they are not above stealing merchandise!

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »
On a side note we have opened some investigations after this because if you are stealing free food what else are you doing.   ;)

That made me laugh.  I bet those supervisors will be whining to all and sundry that they can't understand why they're being investigated (assuming they know or find out).

I agree your best option is to put all the food/freebies in the locked office.  At least that'll stop the employees with sticky fingers from getting at them beforehand.

MrTango

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »
Next time, I'd set up a concealed camera to monitor the refrigerator.  If someone is caught stealing from the breakroom fridge, make arrangements to show the recording of the theft during the Loss Prevention training.

Bonus points if the employee who actually stole the food is called into the managers' office just as the video is being played.  >:D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
Next time, I'd set up a concealed camera to monitor the refrigerator.  If someone is caught stealing from the breakroom fridge, make arrangements to show the recording of the theft during the Loss Prevention training.

Bonus points if the employee who actually stole the food is called into the managers' office just as the video is being played.  >:D

I like this idea!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mimi_cat

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
I'd stop handing out treats at these events. 

I used to work for a retailer, in the call center for their store credit card.  At the beginning of each month we would order treats to kick off our new goals.  Cookies, donuts, etc.  We had people taking not just an extra cookie - but an entire dozen or so.   To take home to their kids.  Our director came out once to greet people and saw it....no more cookies!

We also did holiday giving trees - we had one with a pet theme, so you could donate toys/treats, etc and another one with a hat/glove theme.   You'd bring items in and put them on the tree, and they'd be donated to a charity.  One day I was walking by and there were two women perusing the hat/glove tree - the first woman was telling the second "you aren't supposed to take things from it" and the second woman saying "why not, my kids need hats and gloves, too". 

UGH.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »
Is there a problem with internal theft here?  Quite frankly, the attitude and behaviors of the supervisors would concern me.  It is only cupcakes, but come on!  The whole purpose of the meeting was to discuss loss control, and they couldn't restrain themselves at all?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

grummblebunny

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »
OP again!!  I did speak with the Store Manager the day this happened as he could tell I was "frustrated".  He was shocked and very upset by his employees behavior and I think he addressed it as when I was up there the supervisors were visibly avoiding me.  So Win?   But yes, this store does have a huge problem with internal theft and I think the win/win from this is an attitude of entitlement.  At least that is what I'm taking away from it.   

Thank you all for the venting support!!!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
Hmm. So, it sounds like this was a little parable of the problems in general in this location. I agree with others - if these people cannot be trusted not to steal cupcakes "because we want them!", they are not to be trusted not to steal merchandise "because we could use it, and no one will really miss it."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."