General Etiquette > Family and Children

People who talk to themselves... sometimes.

<< < (2/4) > >>

bonyk:
I talk to myself constantly.  I tell people to tell me to stop it if it annoys them.  Usually, they tell me it's no problem, but that I need to let them know if I expect a response from them.

It sounds like you DH needs a bit of self-awareness.  Could you broach the subject when it's not in the middle of the tension?  Maybe something like, "Hon, last night you got mad at me for not answering you.  I didn't know you talking to me, because you tend to talk to yourself.  So, from now on, when you want me to listen, just say my name first, okay?"

JenJay:
I talk to stuff - mostly the tv. I joke about it to DH because he'll often holler from the other room "Huh? Did you say something to me?" and I'll yell back "No. I was yelling at the tv. I don't know why it never listens!" or "No, the tv. Mind your business!"  ;D

We always start a comment to each other with "Hey, love..." to indicate we're not actually talking to some inanimate object for a change. DD has a problem with frequently having to restate things because she's the only one who never prefaces a statement/question to someone with "Mom..." (or whomever) so most of the time the person she's speaking to doesn't realize until she's halfway through a sentence or says "Hello? Did you hear me?"

As PPs have said, ask your DH to make a point of letting you know when he is speaking to you and let him know you'll ignore him, so as not to interrupt, if he doesn't.

SmarterPrimate:
Almost the same problem here too!

My DF plays several games online with friends, and is involved in a gaming league. He will often say something to a gaming friend (over his headset) that sounds like it’s directed at me. Our desks are back-to-back, so I’ll pull my attention away from what I’m doing and turn around with a “What was that?” only to be told “Oh sorry, I was talking to So-and-so online…”

In our situation, this has happened sooo many times that I have lost all patience for it. Now when he’s at his desk, I completely ignore anything he says unless it starts with “Hey, Smarter…”

When I instituted the ignore policy, we had a few days of “Hey Smarter, I was talking to you…” I had to explain that when he’s talking to someone online, especially through his headset so I cannot hear both sides of the convo, I have NO way of knowing who he is talking to, so I have to assume it is not me. Otherwise I’ll go nuts with the interruptions.

He gets it now  ;)

Specky:
My DH constantly whistles, gurgles, clicks, whirrs and either talks or whispers to himself.  We often can't tell when he is talking to one of us instead of himself.  BUT-he will tell the kids to "stop tapping".  ARRRRR!  It drives me nuts.

CakeEater:
My DH is the same, except he mumbles rather than talks, so I'm always saying, 'pardon? what was that?' etc. No solutions yet, sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version