News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 01, 2015, 04:00:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On the first day of Christmas, my family said to me . . .  (Read 3766 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: On the first day of Christmas, my family said to me . . .
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
Cos English is so well structured. 😝

Dad was *befuddled!* when I pointed out that English makes no logical sense whatsoever on any point.

<sigh>

My father is the epitome of the engineer caricature. Really. He *is* Dilbert.
English is the illegitimate child of Norman men-at-arms trying to make out with Saxon barmaids.

So stealing that...

I always like to say that English doesn't "borrow" words from other languages, it clubs them over the head, drags them down a dark alley, and goes through their pockets looking for spare vocabulary.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Runningstar

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
I was told early in December by everyone on my side of the family that "they were so busy this holiday, they would try to see me at some point".
Um, gee thanks?   

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »
I have a Secret Santa story.

I've had the worst year that I can remember.  Christmas was very hard.  Christmas Eve day, I was at work and someone texted DS and said something like "Ho Ho Ho!  Santa has come early, look outside and bring it in.  Don't tell anyone I came early."  So DS went outside and there was a package left for me!  It was signed Santa.  It had several small wrapped gifts in it. 

I waited until Christmas morning to open it because I knew it would be the only thing I would have.  I don't know who did it, but I have ideas.  It totally made my day brighter and I will never forget the kindness.  I will treasure my comfy throw and earrings forever.  I already at the cookies and chocolates.  And am using the soaps and lotions.

This is such a wonderful, sweet and touching story.  A beautiful example of what Christmas is really all about.  I'm so glad you had a special Santa of your very own this year.

I'm also sorry this has been such a tough year for you.  I sincerely hope that 2015 is much better.

Elisabunny

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
You forgot the words borrowed from the Danes, the Celts, Angles, a few Latin words & phrases from the occupation by the Romans, French from governesses & refugees after the French Revolution, Autralia, New Zealand, and any other countries that they conquered and or traded with over the centuries since the first traders came looking for tin (India, the United States, Canada, the various islands on the way to the New World, and where ever else a British sailor or soldier might wander & bring home a bride...or some kids...or possibly grandkids). 

I've also made the observation that English doesn't always hit other languages over the head and rifle through their pockets, sometimes it marries their daughter and raises a whole bunch of little hybrids....

I am SO stealing the bolded - LOL!

A soon as I learned the difference between dialects, pidgin, and creole, I realized, English is in fact the ultimate creole language.  It helps that English will happily adopt words from other languages, with no attempt to stay "pure."
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...