A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Little House books S/O thread

(1/26) > >>

Just Lori:
Let's use this thread to discuss the Little House books - favorite characters, stories, comparisons to real life, etc?

I'll start.  When Almanzo gives Laura her first ride to school, he says his sister (Eliza Jane) often spoke of her.  I always envisioned Eliza Jane hanging out in her brothers' house, talking about how that Laura Ingalls just made her life miserable.  I imagine Almanzo thought gosh, I want to meet this girl who manages to get the best of my bossy sister!

I'm always fascinated by the real stories of the Ingalls, vs. the polished versions we read in books.  I'm also fascinated by the few photographs we had.  As I mentioned in the other thread, Almanzo was quite the dashing prairie guy.  I also look at pictures of the girls and don't understand why Laura always went on about how beautiful Mary was and how ordinary she was - I think Laura was the prettiest one.  Maybe I like brown hair best. :)

katcheya:
My favourite part was in Little Town on the Prairie (I think.)  It's when is getting dressed for church.  She describes every layer as she's putting it on, like the petty coats, and the polonaise and such.  I just couldn't believe she wore all those layers in the summer!

rose red:
I always thought Laura was prettier too, and Carrie was cute.  I liked reading about the Christmas' throughout the years.  On the Christmas when Mr. Edwards brought the gifts, the adults had tears in their eyes watching how happy the girls were.  I've often wondered if they were tears of happiness or sadness they were so happy with so little.

Can we talk about the show too?  One funny thing I remember from the show is how little Carrie wanted sugar on her berries and Charles acted like it was normal.  In real life, they would never waste white sugar on fruit!

What an amazing life they had, living from covered wagons to airplanes.

hobish:

Oooh, great thread idea. I read a few of the books as a kid, but not many. I think i have become more interested mostly from reading about them on here :) Gotta love EHellions. On that note - can anyone suggest some books that aren't necessarily aimed at children?

KenveeB:

--- Quote from: rose red on December 31, 2012, 11:24:02 AM ---I always thought Laura was prettier too, and Carrie was cute.  I liked reading about the Christmas' throughout the years.  On the Christmas when Mr. Edwards brought the gifts, the adults had tears in their eyes watching how happy the girls were.  I've often wondered if they were tears of happiness or sadness they were so happy with so little.

--- End quote ---

It's interesting reading that again as an adult. You don't realize as a child just what a great friend Mr. Edwards was, making that trip so the girls could have their Christmas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version