A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Little House books S/O thread

<< < (26/26)

Hillia:

--- Quote from: One Fish, Two Fish on February 04, 2013, 01:04:31 PM ---I'm trying to remember the source, but I once read something about Mary having a stroke that caused her blindness.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I've read that also; the high fever she had during her illness caused a syroke.  I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Jocelyn:

--- Quote from: Hillia on February 04, 2013, 01:43:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: One Fish, Two Fish on February 04, 2013, 01:04:31 PM ---I'm trying to remember the source, but I once read something about Mary having a stroke that caused her blindness.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I've read that also; the high fever she had during her illness caused a syroke.  I don't know if that's accurate or not.

--- End quote ---
I'd wonder about having a stroke that only results in blindness, and not in any physical impairment otherwise.

Hillia:

--- Quote from: Jocelyn on February 04, 2013, 09:30:41 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I'd wonder about having a stroke that only results in blindness, and not in any physical impairment otherwise.

--- End quote ---

Well, here we go:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/04/the-real-reason-mary-ingalls-went-blind/?hpt=hp_bn13

This theory says it was meningoencephalitis.

rose red:
Laura was born on today's date (Feb. 7) in 1867.

kglory:

--- Quote from: Jocelyn on February 04, 2013, 09:30:41 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I remember reading in an earlier book (maybe the "Laura" biography) that Mary suffered pain/neuralgia and paralysis on one side of the face.  You can kind of see it in the one photograph of the girls after the Long Winter.  Mary doesn't hold her face the way a normally healthy person would -- there is some sort of droopiness there.

This isn't mentioned in the Little House books, which lead you to believe that Mary was the most beautiful young woman in the world, aside from the fact that her eyes couldn't see.   And I started to look at that portrayal, not as a lie, but as the reminiscing of a loving sister.  Laura loved Mary and so to her, she always remained as beautiful as she had ever been. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version