Author Topic: Inappropriate Office Space Renter  (Read 5762 times)

onyonryngs

Re: Inappropriate Office Space Renter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »
I think the woman should have been made to put on something more appropriate if she was going to be walking through the museum.  The photographer had rented one office in the building, not the entire museum.  Shared spaces need to be treated as though you were going to be walking through a theme park.

She was covered (even in a small robe) by about what shorts and a tank top would cover, so I don't see that as any different than what you would see in a theme park.

What I want to know is how it was obvious she was nude underneath.  OP?

It's usually pretty obvious if someone isn't wearing a bra - and the whole no panty line thing.  Years of being a woman, being in locker rooms, and looking in mirrors have given me the spidey senses to detect this kind of thing so maybe it was as obvious to the op ;)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »
I think the woman should have been made to put on something more appropriate if she was going to be walking through the museum.  The photographer had rented one office in the building, not the entire museum.  Shared spaces need to be treated as though you were going to be walking through a theme park.

She was covered (even in a small robe) by about what shorts and a tank top would cover, so I don't see that as any different than what you would see in a theme park.

What I want to know is how it was obvious she was nude underneath.  OP?

It's usually pretty obvious if someone isn't wearing a bra - and the whole no panty line thing.  Years of being a woman, being in locker rooms, and looking in mirrors have given me the spidey senses to detect this kind of thing so maybe it was as obvious to the op ;)

Plenty of women don't wear bras, and a thong could easily hide panty lines.  I have spent years in gyms, too, (and being a woman ;D) but I don't go out of my way to check to see if people are wearing under garments.  (I'm not saying you do, I'm just saying that it doesn't stick out to me because I'm not concerned about it).

I asked because if something was hanging out, then I think there was a problem with what she was wearing.  Otherwise, if she was covering everything shorts and a tank top would cover, I don't see a problem.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with a quick run to the ladies' room in a bathrobe and sneakers, personally. Perhaps she was wearing a thong underneath, but it really doesn't matter whether she was nude or not under the robe. We're all naked under our clothes.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 03:39:40 PM »
It's not appropriate public space, certainly, but a woman in a bathrobe walking past a bunch of toddlers is not a huge deal if you think about it. Toddlers couldn't care less; it's covering the same amount of skin as shorts and a t-shirt would. And most kids that age have no sense of modesty anyway. Might as well send a cat in a bathrobe trotting past them. Yes, still totally inappropriate, but if it never happened again, I would chalk it up to the woman acting like an idiot; I'm guessing she just slipped out, and the photographer didn't have anything to do with it.

As for the business going on in your building... well, things go on all over the place all of the time, constantly. I live in an apartment building with many other couples living under the same roof. I know what that means, of course, but it really doesn't distract me from going about my business.

The toddlers don't care, but their adults might.  I can easily imagine a museum patron having a hissy fit because little Taylor saw a lady in a short bathrobe.  Even if said lady was in fact wearing something under the robe, Hissy Fitting Patron would still complain because that robe could slip, or Little Taylor could be crawling on the floor and look up the robe.  (Regarding nude artworks, I assume that Hissy Fitting Patron would either not bring Little Taylor to see those works, or ignore them because, you know, it's art. Although I'm sure any one here who has hung around in art museums can think of some really Special Hissy Fitting Patrons.  ;) )

So, a photo customer escapes.  Did we ever decide on something polite for the OP to say to startled museum patrons of whatever age?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »
I believe part of etiquette is dressing appropriately.  A museum is a professional setting.  I would not wear a robe and tennis shoes to walk through the hall at my office, even if I was wearing a tshirt and shorts under it.  Robes normally have minimum clothing underneath and therefore, most people would assume that this woman wasn't fully attired to be running around a professional setting in a robe. 

Or really even a non-professional setting.  I wouldn't walk my child to school a block down the road in a robe nor would I venture out to a mall.  I mean can you imagine the looks you'd get if you decided to go shopping in robe so that when you went from store to store trying on clothes you just had to take your robe off?  Convienient yes (and my DD and I have longed for the ability to do it) put appropriate, no.

The more I read discussions on topics like this, I realize that I believe the appearence of propriety is almost as important as propriety. 

I'm still on the fence about whether a spare office should have been used for this type of activity.  Part of me says "Nope, to easy for someone to open the door by accident and get an eyefull of something they didn't want to see" and the other part says "eh, it's not illegal and it did bring in extra money for the museum". 

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
The only part of this story I find inappropriate is the model walking around in a robe.  Not because she wasn't sufficiently covered, but because a robe is not appropriate attire for a public space.  The rest of it doesn't matter. If you hadn't been told what was happening behind the closed door, would you have known?
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 09:02:38 PM »
Judah and Hmmmmm, many people believe that pajamas in public are OK (I am not one of them), so what makes this woman any different than someone wearing pajamas in public?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »
Judah and Hmmmmm, many people believe that pajamas in public are OK (I am not one of them), so what makes this woman any different than someone wearing pajamas in public?
That many people think pajamas in public are okay doesn't make it so.
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »

That many people don't doesn't make it unacceptable either.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »

But I'm offering my opinion, not anyone else's. In my opinion, neither pajamas nor robes are appropriate in public.
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 10:10:24 PM »

But I'm offering my opinion, not anyone else's. In my opinion, neither pajamas nor robes are appropriate in public.

I understand that, but until the underlined part above, you hadn't answered my question.  I asked the question because I wanted to know what you would think had someone walked out of an office in their pajamas and how that reaction would be different than the reaction of someone in a robe. 

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 10:12:53 PM »

I understand that, but until the underlined part above, you hadn't answered my question.  I asked the question because I wanted to know what you would think had someone walked out of an office in their pajamas and how that reaction would be different than the reaction of someone in a robe.

Ah, I see. My reaction would be the same; both are inappropriate in my view.
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

nyarlathotep

• My other blade is Vorpal
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 01:52:03 AM »
The only part of this story I find inappropriate is the model walking around in a robe.  Not because she wasn't sufficiently covered, but because a robe is not appropriate attire for a public space.  The rest of it doesn't matter. If you hadn't been told what was happening behind the closed door, would you have known?

Parking my POD here. While I personally don't give a monkey's what anyone else is wearing, the fact is that a lot of people do view a robe in public as just a bit bizarre. The photography business thing is only relevant insofar as it caused someone to walk around the museum in "inappropriate clothing".

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »

I do not believe pajamas are appropriate wear in a professional setting either.  If she had walked out of the office in a t-shirt and bottoms that were obviously PJ's I would think the museum had people sleeping in that room and wonder why. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »

I do not believe pajamas are appropriate wear in a professional setting either.  If she had walked out of the office in a t-shirt and bottoms that were obviously PJ's I would think the museum had people sleeping in that room and wonder why.

OK, so what if she was one of the patrons?  I'm not trying to be annoying and nit picky, I'm truly curious.  I don't like seeing pajamas in public, either, so I'm curious how others think.