Author Topic: Tip on carry-out order  (Read 4293 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Tip on carry-out order
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »
I assume lots of people do take out because they don't want or can't tip.  I'm tired of these hidden rules you are just suppose to know about, and then get looked down on and called cheap if you don't know.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »
I assume lots of people do take out because they don't want or can't tip.  I'm tired of these hidden rules you are just suppose to know about, and then get looked down on and called cheap if you don't know.

Which is why the system's pretty messed up. It is a minefield.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »

And why asking (someplace like here or elsewhere) is useful.
"We ate the pies."

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 04:18:51 PM »

And why asking (someplace like here or elsewhere) is useful.

I agree with all of you. But really, customers shouldn't have to ask about this sort of thing. Restaurants could do more to make it clear if the carry-out server needs a tip or not. It's a business transaction. There shouldn't be hidden costs or guessing at the final total or anything like that.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
As I think about this more and hear from the people who do the work, tipping makes more sense.

When we tip for table service, we expect
a) to be seated promptly
b) to have a drink order taken
c) (to have the drinks made up correctly)
d) to have drinks delivered
e) to have food orders taken
f) (to have food orders made correctly)
g) (to have have all orders made at the correct time so they are ready together)
h) to have food delivered
i) to have condiments offered perhaps
j) to have final  requests (desert?)
k) to be billed promptly and correctly
l)(plus the quality of the food and ambiance)

All of these determine the tip and for take-out the server (and kitchen) is still doing a lot of the same work.
a) to be seated promptly
b) to have a drink order taken
c) (to have the drinks made up correctly)
d) to have drinks delivered

e) to have food orders taken
f) (to have food orders made correctly)
g) (to have have all orders made at the correct time so they are ready together)
h) to have food delivered
i) to have condiments offered perhaps
j) to have final  requests (desert?)
k) to be billed promptly and correctly
l)(plus the quality of the food and ambiance)

So some tip seems reasonable. As someone said previously, it's not like the order is sitting there  on a shelf waiting for your phone call and all the waiter needs to do is grab the sack and hand it to you (that just happens to be all the customer observes).

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
(snipped)
With all due respect, I don't think the sentiment "well, get a better job" is particularly helpful.  I don't pretend to know another person's circumstances.  They may be able to waltz out of that job whenever they want, but for reasons that are not apparent to me they may not.

Delabela, that's very well stated and thank you for expressing it.

I disagree.  Many servers complain a great deal about their below minimum wage job and cheap tippers.  By the same token, putting the blame and onus on customers to pay a shortfall the employer isn't paying isn't helpful either.   It is a choice to take a job that one has to also chip in for other employees.  There are plenty of minimum wage jobs out there, but I bet the same servers that complain DO make more than minimum wage with tips and that is why they don't get jobs elsewhere.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
For pick-up orders? I liken it to a drive through. Do you tip your McDonalds servers?

But, unfortunately, it's really not.  Some server, making less than minimum wage in most states,  is adding the tab to his or her "total".  That server must "tip out" a variety of other employees based on that total, and the IRS expects that the server earn a minimum percentage of that total. That server is also taking time away from his or her sit down tables, making it even harder to give the stellar service required to earn really good money. The ONLY place I know of that has a dedicated "to go" staff is Chili's. Unfortunately, until the restaurant industry changes they way they do things, or educates the public on how they really pay their employees, it's best to assume the people putting together your to go orders are earning $2.13/hr (or whatever the "tipped employee minimum wage" is in your state).

I highly doubt most establishments have servers from the floor also working the carry out counter.  If I am going to pick it up, then it is part of their job, perhaps one of the bum aspects of it to deal with carry out.  I am a good tipper, but I'm not tipping for my meal to be placed into a bag with plastic cutlery and napkins.  I equate this to walking into a McD's, but preordering it.

I have worked at TGI Friday's, Cracker Barrel, O'Charlie's, Hooters, Ruby Tuesdays, and Longhorn Steakhouse.  They ALL worked the way I described.  The hostess took the order then handed it to a server to ring in, and then package for the customer.  There were many, many nights I went home with less than 7% of my total sales because of a large number of take out orders jacking up the amount I had to tip out to the auxiliary staff, even though most take out customers believe that we don't deserve a tip for the time and effort required to put together a take out order.  It is, by the way, a non-trivial amount of work.

I have to agree with someone above about tip entitlement.   The problem I have with it is someone chooses to work in the restaurant with low wages and to rely upon tips.  It is not my responsibility to subsidize the low wages. If one needs to make more money, find a job that meets at least minimum wage.   Again, I will not pay for take out service when I am driving to pick it up and carrying a bag home.  I tip very well when I sit in a restaurant and receive good food and service.  Perhaps these chains should change it so the carry out people are separate from servers.  I don't understand why food service workers expect the customer to subsidize the low wage restaurants pay.

I don't understand why using this logic you'd be comfortable tipping servers but not to-go staff.

When I sit in a restaurant, the waiter/ess is providing a service over a period of time, bringing me drinks, taking my food order, offering dessert, clearing the table.  I equate the carry out desk to getting take out at McD's.  That same carry out desk person could work at Mc'Ds and not have to rely upon tips.

nuit93

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
(snipped)
With all due respect, I don't think the sentiment "well, get a better job" is particularly helpful.  I don't pretend to know another person's circumstances.  They may be able to waltz out of that job whenever they want, but for reasons that are not apparent to me they may not.

I disagree.  Many servers complain a great deal about their below minimum wage job and cheap tippers.  By the same token, putting the blame and onus on customers to pay a shortfall the employer isn't paying isn't helpful either.   It is a choice to take a job that one has to also chip in for other employees.  There are plenty of minimum wage jobs out there, but I bet the same servers that complain DO make more than minimum wage with tips and that is why they don't get jobs elsewhere.

In this economy, that very well could have been the best job they could find.  I bet you'd be surprised at how many servers have advanced degrees.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »
I do tip on take out orders from restaurants but no more than 10%.  However, I do agree with Sparksals in many respects.  And maybe I'll continue my own lil' boycott to include take out orders.  The tipping issue in this country has gotten so ridiculous that it seems everyone has a hand out ready for a tip. *sigh*

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
I do tip on take out orders from restaurants but no more than 10%.  However, I do agree with Sparksals in many respects.  And maybe I'll continue my own lil' boycott to include take out orders.  The tipping issue in this country has gotten so ridiculous that it seems everyone has a hand out ready for a tip. *sigh*

It really has gotten crazy.  I live in Washington where servers, by law, make minimum wage (and Washington has the highest minimum wage in the entire country and it just went up to $9.19 an hour), yet we STILL tip 20% at full service restaurants.  Why do we do that?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:53:47 PM by Shoo »

nuit93

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 08:21:37 PM »

It really has gotten crazy.  I live in Washington where servers, by law, make minimum wage (and Washington has the highest minimum wage in the entire country and it just went up to $9.19 an hour), yet we STILL tip 20% at full service restaurants.  Why do we do that?

As a resident of Western WA, I do it because we also have one of the highest COL's in the country.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »

As a resident of Western WA, I do it because we also have one of the highest COL's in the country.

Yes, but we don't subsidize other low-paying (yet hard) jobs.  It just doesn't make any sense.  But I do it too.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »

Yes, but we don't subsidize other low-paying (yet hard) jobs.  It just doesn't make any sense.  But I do it too.

Exactly!  Why don't we tip McD's workers or the store cashier?  Doesn't make sense really.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »

I don't mind tipping at a full service restaurants. For some reason it feels right to do so where I feel like I'm being pick-pocketed in other circumstances. But the service does have to be very good to merit 20%. I worked as a waitress in college, so I know that the job is not THAT hard.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 10:31:58 PM »
(snipped)

In this economy, that very well could have been the best job they could find.  I bet you'd be surprised at how many servers have advanced degrees.

Oh sure - wouldn't surprise me.  I kept my job at Safeway when I got my first job after uni b/c I made more than double.  The waitstaff complaints predate the economy, so I don't really think that flies.  Many people are career servers solely b/c they make good money.  One place I go to does not have a big turnover in staff.  They obviously do very well b/c they don't work other jobs, so not all waitstaff are suffering.  That is my point.  Some most likely are, but many and I would hazard to say the majority do just fine in that career...economy or not.