Author Topic: Tip on carry-out order  (Read 4615 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Tip on carry-out order
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »
For me, the tip isn't about what the server makes as the base pay.  I really could not care less.  I tip because tipping gets me better service.  Particularly someplace I will return.  (I call it pro-active tipping). 

When I worked for a German company and spent several weeks a year there, or in Manchester, England I found the service - lacking.  I got my food, and it was what I ordered.  But, that is really all.  Until I talked to my boss and got permission to tip 15%.  I suddenly got truly excellent service. 

So, with take-out orders, is there a chance for the waiter to do better than average service?  No.  So, I tip enough to make them not lose money. 

At a fast food place, there really isn't a chance to shine. So, no tip.

Bartenders get tips so I can get their attention for a second drink.

Anyone cutting my hair gets a tip, because I really care about my hair.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:57 PM »
Very good points, Sophia.  I am known as a good tipper at my normal stompin' grounds.  I get great service.  I think it is pretty bad, though, that we have to be good tippers to get good service.  It should be the other way around.  Many servers hold us hostage with that. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 07:22:13 AM »
For me, the tip isn't about what the server makes as the base pay.  I really could not care less.  I tip because tipping gets me better service.  Particularly someplace I will return.  (I call it pro-active tipping). 

When I worked for a German company and spent several weeks a year there, or in Manchester, England I found the service - lacking.  I got my food, and it was what I ordered.  But, that is really all.  Until I talked to my boss and got permission to tip 15%.  I suddenly got truly excellent service. 

So, with take-out orders, is there a chance for the waiter to do better than average service?  No.  So, I tip enough to make them not lose money. 

At a fast food place, there really isn't a chance to shine. So, no tip.

Bartenders get tips so I can get their attention for a second drink.

Anyone cutting my hair gets a tip, because I really care about my hair.

I'd disagree with the bolded. There may not be as much chance to shine, but there is some. There's the fast food worker who is chatting on their phone, messing up your order, joking with co-workers while ignoring the growing line of customers out front, shoving food at the customers when it's ready. And then there's the fast food worker who is polite and cheerful and *fast*, who gets orders right the first time and checks them to make sure they are correct before handing them to the customer with a big smile.

I still don't tip them, because it is not customary to tip fast food workers. But to say they have no chance to a better job than their co-workers isn't really fair to the ones who do try hard to do a good job.

Same with the carry-out servers. There's still speed and accuracy and cheerful, polite service--they can either have these things or not.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »
...I'd disagree with the bolded. There may not be as much chance to shine, but there is some. There's the fast food worker who is chatting on their phone, messing up your order, joking with co-workers while ignoring the growing line of customers out front, shoving food at the customers when it's ready. And then there's the fast food worker who is polite and cheerful and *fast*, who gets orders right the first time and checks them to make sure they are correct before handing them to the customer with a big smile. ...

Well, I define that more as a chance to not stink.  Making change and getting the order right and even smiling is only neutral in my book. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »
...I'd disagree with the bolded. There may not be as much chance to shine, but there is some. There's the fast food worker who is chatting on their phone, messing up your order, joking with co-workers while ignoring the growing line of customers out front, shoving food at the customers when it's ready. And then there's the fast food worker who is polite and cheerful and *fast*, who gets orders right the first time and checks them to make sure they are correct before handing them to the customer with a big smile. ...

Well, I define that more as a chance to not stink.  Making change and getting the order right and even smiling is only neutral in my book.

Right.  It is part of their job.

Fleur

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2013, 02:39:25 PM »

Right.  It is part of their job.

Totally. I worked fast food, and it really isn't that hard. I also would never ever tip on a takeaway, it just goes against the grain.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 05:26:59 PM »

I can only go by my experience. I've encountered fast food workers who were awful--slow, not paying attention when taking orders, not putting orders together correctly, not really polite to the customers. I've encountered average fast food workers--they get the job done in a reasonable amount of time, they are polite, their orders are usually correct. And then I've encountered a few really good workers at fast food places--they are faster than other workers, they are cheerful in addition to being polite, they are always accurate. If they are taking orders, their line moves quickly and it's clear any hold-ups are in the kitchen. You can tell just by watching them that they are moving faster and doing more than the other workers around them. It's a pleasure to be served by them, because they appear to care about their job and making sure their customers are happy.

It's the same in almost any line of work. There are below average, average and above average workers. Fast food isn't any different. It may not be difficult to do a good job in fast food restaurants. But that doesn't mean it is impossible to do a great job.

There's a Dunkin Donuts near me--not the closest one, I refuse to go there anymore. This one is about two miles further away, but I suspect they have an above average manager. The staff are always cheerful. They take your order and repeat it back to you as they start to fill it, to make sure it is correct. The store is by far the quickest at filling orders of any DD I have ever been in. They never run out of the various types of doughnuts and baked goods. Yes, it's fast food. But there is a distinct difference in the service and how the customers are treated compared to other fast food places I go. And it's not just me--other people have commented on how pleasant it is to go there.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn