Author Topic: Happy New Year! Whats cooking?  (Read 978 times)

MOM21SON

Happy New Year! Whats cooking?
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
I have my father coming soon from out of state.  He should be here with the hour.  My sister that I have seen twice since last year is coming and my neighbors will come over.

I have spinach dip, pigs in a blanket, rumaki, liverwurst spread, pizza rolls, some Mexican crunchy roll things that DS likes, chips and salsa, and whatever I am forgetting.

Tomorrow I will have pork and sauerkraut, and all the same apps, with some new for a different crowd.

What is everyone else doing?

kckgirl

Re: Happy New Year! Whats cooking?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
We're having baked pasta for dinner tonight. My 4-year-old granddaughter is spending the night, arriving while her mom is on the way to a NYE party. That usually means waffles and sausage in the morning for breakfast. :)
Maryland

EmmaJ.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!  Tomorrow is our "lucky" meal of pork, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, and black-eyed peas. 

I always think it tastes better on the second day and so make enough to have leftovers for a day or two. 

MOM21SON

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »
May I ask where you are from Emma?  I am originally from Ohio and we always had pork and sauerkraut for New Years.  Now I am in the south and only transplants have heard of it.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
We ordered sushi from a fantastic place. Happy New Year, all.

Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
I have my father coming soon from out of state.  He should be here with the hour.  My sister that I have seen twice since last year is coming and my neighbors will come over.

I have spinach dip, pigs in a blanket, rumaki, liverwurst spread, pizza rolls, some Mexican crunchy roll things that DS likes, chips and salsa, and whatever I am forgetting.

Tomorrow I will have pork and sauerkraut, and all the same apps, with some new for a different crowd.

We are doing nothing.  Maybe go out to eat somewhere, but I would like your pork and sauerkraut recipe, if you can share it.  I love both of those items.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

MOM21SON

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

We are doing nothing.  Maybe go out to eat somewhere, but I would like your pork and sauerkraut recipe, if you can share it.  I love both of those items.

I am happy to share!

Get a nice pork roast and brown it on all sides.

Then throw it in the crockpot.  Take 2 bags of kraut and rinse well.  Toss with one shredded apple and one chopped onion.  Throw it in the pot on top of the roast.  Salt and pepper.  cook until the roast is falling apart until it is one mixed up pot.

Must be served on top of yellow gold mashed potatoes.

If no crockpot, stick it in the oven on like 300 until falling apart and one mixed up pot.

Specky

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
Turkey, fauxtaters with low-carb gravy (sounds like an oxymoron), grilled brussels sprouts.  Tomorrow?  Not a clue.

doodlemor

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
My husband's mother in Pennsylvania always made sauerkraut and pork for the New Year.

Tonight we had what I call a Lazy Polish casserole cooked in the oven containing 1 shredded cabbage, 1 large sliced onion, 1 lb ground beef, 1 smoked Polish sausage link, sliced, and a jar of marinara sauce on top.

Tomorrow I'm going to cook a turkey breast that's been hanging around, if it is sufficiently thawed.

Sauerkraut is also delicious done in the crockpot.  I generally put a quart of kraut in the pot, and then a variety of fresh and smoked Polish sausage and some fresh pork.  Onions are good, too.  The only problem with sauerkraut in the crockpot is that it smells so good while it cooks that it will make you hungry all day.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »

I am happy to share!

Get a nice pork roast and brown it on all sides.

Then throw it in the crockpot.  Take 2 bags of kraut and rinse well.  Toss with one shredded apple and one chopped onion.  Throw it in the pot on top of the roast.  Salt and pepper.  cook until the roast is falling apart until it is one mixed up pot.

Must be served on top of yellow gold mashed potatoes.

If no crockpot, stick it in the oven on like 300 until falling apart and one mixed up pot.
Thanks!   I can't wait t try it.  I don't have a crock pot but will try it in the oven. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

mmswm

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:04:18 PM »
Tonight we had a chicken alfredo topped with broccoli.

Tomorrow will be a spiral cut ham, scalloped potatoes, black eyed peas, cauliflower and cornbread.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
We went out to our favorite Japanese steakhouse and had teppanyaki and sushi.

Tomorrow I am making crostini with sun-dried tomato pesto and basil pesto, Pot Likker soup (turnips, turnip greens, collard greens, black eyed peas and meat), DH is smoking a beef brisket and a pork loin, I am making a mandarin orange cake with orange cream cheese frosting. We are dining with the in-laws.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 11:43:41 PM »
May I ask where you are from Emma?  I am originally from Ohio and we always had pork and sauerkraut for New Years.  Now I am in the south and only transplants have heard of it.

Sure!  I was born in Pittsburgh and then dad was transferred to Ohio when I was about seven.  We lived in Ohio until about 1965, then we moved on to Florida.  Most of my relatives still live up in the Pittsburgh area.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 12:09:05 AM »
I wish I could replicate the pork and sauerkraut dinner my mom used to make.  She'd take her biggest dutch oven and first put a layer of sauerkraut on the bottom.  Then a layer of pork chops, more sauerkraut, then pork spare ribs, more sauerkraut,and finally a layer of pork sausages (very similar to hot dogs).

That would be slow cooked for hours. A little bit before serving, mom would make a batch of dumplings and drop spoonfuls on top of the hot sauerkraut, put the lid back on and they would steam until puffy and fluffy.

To have a big plate of her pork and sauerkraut would be heaven!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 12:26:59 AM »
Tonight was mushroom pasta and Godiva for dessert. Tomorrow? Who knows.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls