Author Topic: Is There a Better Way to Handle This - Time Share & Angling For An Invite  (Read 6011 times)

MyFamily

Re: Is There a Better Way to Handle This - Time Share & Angling For An Invite
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »
I'd be wary of giving reasons for why you travel in July.  Your husband's retirement isn't that far off, and she could come back in a few years and try to wrangle and invitation in July.  Or she could decide that July can work for her, so she wants an invitation for July.  Any time she says anything about it, you really just need to beandip - yes, Florida is lovely in July - hey, did you get a chance to see (hot new movie out in the theaters)? I've been debating going but thinking I might wait until it is out on Netflix.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »
My husband is a teacher - vacations are in July to the first week of August (training camps in June and later in August for incoming students).

My brother is an accountant - I have no idea what he's doing in July but I do know that school is out around the first week of June, so they might want to set up their vacations right after school is out so that they are back for basketball camps in July.  Or some kind of summer camp, anyway.

The more I think about it, the more tempted I am by the owner referral programs...because that way SIL will get to go to the same time share that the girls have gone to with us twice (they didn't bring them - Grandma & Grandpa drove up to get the girls and then drove to Florida with the girls both times that they joined us and were going to do it again the third time).   Because she clearly wants to go to Florida & Disney with her daughters...in JUNE!

And on your dime, it sounds like.  I feel for you  on this one.  I have timeshares too, and have had the worst time with family members trying to co opt them for their use.  I've kept the Florida one secret for that reason.

Owner referral is a good idea. 

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »
My pod is parked right next to Slartibartfast, who said:
Them: "We sure would like to vacation at Disney this summer!"

You: "You should go for it sometime!  Timeshares are usually a better deal than hotels, but even the hotels aren't too bad if you don't want to stay on one of the Disney properties.  You need to book pretty early, though, because they fill up."

If she hints about wanting to be in your timeshare, pretend to be oblivious, and (as was suggested earlier) offer to give her the number of the sales office.
If you have an opinion about my life, raise your hand!
Now, put it over your mouth.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
For reference - the girls and my brother were not involved in the conversation all - they were at the table when I mentioned that we just would not be able to change our vacation to June until the summer of 2016, after VorGuy retires.  Which I insisted was too far out in time to make plans already - their daughters are 12 & 14 - in four years they will be 16 & 18 and may not want to go to DisneyWorld, Universal, Sea World, etc.

But our grandson will be six.....a good age for Universal, Disney Animal Kingdom, and so forth and his parents currently live a six or seven hour drive up I-75!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
If they want to go to Walt Disney World, Disney runs promos all of the time.  Mousesavers.com keeps up with the discounts.  I would focus on offering to help her plan a Disney trip, which should get her off your back if what she wants is a free vacation.

Do you own DVC?  We just bought at AKL!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 07:35:21 PM »
Orange Lake (Holiday Inn) and one of the Westgate properties - not Disney at all.

Although Orange Lake's north east boundary touches Animal Kingdom, if I recall the map correctly.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »
Totally off the topic, but I spent a good portion of the afternoon today planning out a Disney vacation  :)  Is there any good centralized resource for rentals like this?  Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to rent a house/condo for 6 people than it would be to pay for two hotel rooms on Disney property . . .

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »
Orange Lake (Holiday Inn) and one of the Westgate properties - not Disney at all.

Although Orange Lake's north east boundary touches Animal Kingdom, if I recall the map correctly.
I have Orange Lake as well.

yokozbornak

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Totally off the topic, but I spent a good portion of the afternoon today planning out a Disney vacation  :)  Is there any good centralized resource for rentals like this?  Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to rent a house/condo for 6 people than it would be to pay for two hotel rooms on Disney property . . .

Try www.vrbo.com.  Also, I am a Disney freak and highly recommend www.allears.net for trip planning and www.mousesavers.com for Disney deals.  Let me know if you have any questions!  I have been to Disney a bunch!

/Sorry for the threadjack!/

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »

I have Orange Lake as well.

VorGuy could float around the Lazy River all day....so could I, if it weren't for all those pesky genes from the Celts & Gauls - I burn instead of tan. 

Although this coming summer - he might be floating around in the dark, as he is seeing a dermatologist about something on his scalp.  His dad has had quite a number of skin cancer surgeries (his family is also heavy with Scotts, Irish, and similar genes - which is where Ambrosia Hino got some matching recessive genes for her red-gold hair and pale skin!).

She tends to wear a lot of sunblock,  like her mother (and soon, her father).

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »

Try www.vrbo.com.  Also, I am a Disney freak and highly recommend www.allears.net for trip planning and www.mousesavers.com for Disney deals.  Let me know if you have any questions!  I have been to Disney a bunch!

/Sorry for the threadjack!/

This is not a Thread Jack - this is information that I can pass along to SIL for her to research their family vacation to Disney.  Whenever it turns out to be.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 09:11:45 PM »
I would ignore the hint and respond conversationally -

"Yes, it can be inconvenient to be restricted to July for vacations, but that's the way it is. So, where are you going in June?"

This.

It makes it clear that you two are talking about totally different things. Your family's vacation, and her family's vacation, and they are NOT the same things.

My only change: Emphasize the "you."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
I've been going more with "July works best for us as VorGuy has summer camps in June and August".

She can tell me all she likes about what a great month June is for vacations - but he's tied up with paperwork for the end of the year and various summer camps in June.  The school district closes down everything in July - so we take our vacations in July.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 01:35:41 AM »
Why don't you just say, "We won't be able to vacation together for a few years then."

Stop justifying.

Or say, " Yes, you've said so many times before. I hope you find something fun to do in June!"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:37:26 AM by TootsNYC »

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 08:10:35 AM »
Listen to the wisdom of Toots!

Let me elaborate on that wisdom:
The problem with telling her "July works best for us as VorGuy has summer camps in June and August" is that you are not keeping your vacation and their vacation separate. That plays into her hands; that gives her the opening to keep pressing for you to vacation in June, because, of course, you all will be vacationing together!  :o

You need to make it clear that, whatever their vacation plans are, yours are to vacation in July. Don't mention anything else, not even "You are welcome to come in July."

Figure out a single sentence, and turn it into a "Toots special." When she tires of getting the exact same answer every time, she'll stop hinting/asking.

May I suggest, "That's nice; we'll be vacationing in July, as always." Then beandip.

If you have an opinion about my life, raise your hand!
Now, put it over your mouth.