Author Topic: What is a "long way to travel" for you?  (Read 2601 times)

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
Re: What is a "long way to travel" for you?
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
For Work: anything more than a 30 minute commute each way (although where I live many people commute significantly longer than that - sometimes up to a couple of hours each way!). 

I have friends (a married couple) who used to live in the San Diego area about 10 yrs ago.  They both worked a considerable distance from where they lived (I forget the exact areas where they worked).  This was their schedule for several years:

4:30 AM – get up, breakfast, dogs, shower and dress.
5:30 AM – leave home, drive 1.25 hrs to drop wife off at train station, husband drove another 1.25 hours to his office
6:45 AM – wife took 1 hr train ride to arrive at work by 8:00 AM
5:00 PM – reverse process and arrive home at 8:00 PM
8:30 PM -  mail, dinner, dogs.
9:30 PM bed

They did this for 3 yrs, total of 5 hrs round trip commute Mon – Fri.
It was exhausting just reading wife’s emails.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:10:27 PM by oceanus »

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 09:21:10 PM »
I live in a northern suburb of Indianapolis.  I work in downtown Indy and it takes me about 45 minutes or more to get into work.  During the summer the commute isn't too bad, but now that it's winter it drives me nuts.  It's dark when I go into work and it's dark when I get home, especially since I have to drive another 15 minutes further north to pick up my DS from school.   I find myself being completely exhausted by the time I finally get home.

For day trips, if I spend more time driving then I do at the actual event, then it's too far.  I'm also old enough (and can afford it) that now if I'm going someplace where I would be gone for 16+ hours, then it's an overnight trip.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 09:45:27 PM »
For driving, well I like road trips so even an hour isn't too long for me.   I know for my friend in a small town of Iowa, she doesn't even blink at an hour's drive because it's not uncommon to have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to a bigger town with more shopping. 

I'm in a somewhat small town in that it's big enough so that everyone doesn't know everyone, but it's not huge either.  There's one each of the Walmart, Target, Kmart, and Home Depot, though we do have two Lowe's, one each for the north and south end of town, and just one Starbucks.  We have a relatively small mall and other than gas stations the only thing besides Lowe's we have more than one of are grocery stores and CVS. 

So if you want to check and see if another Target has something in stock, and it's not available online, it's a half hour drive to the next Target.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 12:58:03 AM »
For Work: anything more than a 30 minute commute each way (although where I live many people commute significantly longer than that - sometimes up to a couple of hours each way!). 

I have friends (a married couple) who used to live in the San Diego area about 10 yrs ago.  They both worked a considerable distance from where they lived (I forget the exact areas where they worked).  This was their schedule for several years:

4:30 AM – get up, breakfast, dogs, shower and dress.
5:30 AM – leave home, drive 1.25 hrs to drop wife off at train station, husband drove another 1.25 hours to his office
6:45 AM – wife took 1 hr train ride to arrive at work by 8:00 AM
5:00 PM – reverse process and arrive home at 8:00 PM
8:30 PM -  mail, dinner, dogs.
9:30 PM bed

They did this for 3 yrs, total of 5 hrs round trip commute Mon – Fri.
It was exhausting just reading wife’s emails.

I know ppl who live that way, and I just .... Couldn't.

Funnily enough I absolutely adore my job, so you'd think that would be worth a long commute. But nope!  I just need a certain % of my day to be at home, and seeing as I need a solid 8 hours sleep per night, I need to be home by 530/630ish on a regular basis!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 04:02:03 AM »

Anything over 3 hours away by car, bus, or speedline is far. Three hours isn't so bad. By hour five i will get antsy. I don't drive and i live in suburbia so that is easy to say. Everything is very nearby.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

MrTango

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »
For me, I consider 3 hours to be about the line between a short and a long trip.

The drive from home to my grandma's house is 200 miles away, and I can usually make it in just under 3 hours with no stops.

If I'm going to be on the road longer than that, I try to make a stop about halfway through the trip and.  If it's a very long trip (say, 12 hours to LadyTango's grandparents' house), I try to limit stops to 10-15 minutes every 2 hours.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
The original question involving traveling 30min to a housewarming party, I think... I don't think I saw the original thread, so I don't know what other factors were involved in the situation, but even 30min can seem like forever if you don't really want to go, or if you have to do a lot of special stuff to cross that 30min.

I'm not a very social person, and I don't like parties that much. Also, I choose not to have a car, which means that if I do want to go somewhere, I have to make plans outside the norm of what I usually do. If someone could give me a ride to the party, that would be ideal. If not... the odds of me choosing to exert myself to get there might drop dramatically. Definitely it would depend on which friend it was and what kind of party it was--some people and some events I would make more of an effort for.

But knowing this, I try not to use time/distance as an excuse for why I don't go somewhere. I think almost any distance can be crossed if I really wanted to, so the true limitation is my own desire, which is generally pretty low when it comes to social events. This is not the case for everyone, of course.
~Lynn2000

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 01:54:09 PM »
DH has to drive about an hour and a half every day, depending on where his first job is.  Some days it's Silver Spring, and the home office is in Crofton.   He sometimes has to go to bed at 9 to get up at 5 , other days he can wait till 10 to go to bed and gets up when I do at 6. 

I know some people in my church drive 30 minutes to an hour or so because either there isn't an Episcopal church in their town or they just like this one better.  Actually, I think very few of our parishioners actually live in this town, and quite a few are from Pennsylvania.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
For me, it depends. On where I'm going, when I'm going, how long I'm going for, etc. My mom lives 8 hours from me, so unless I can stay at least 4 days, its simply not worth the trip. The drive is exhausting, and takes pretty much a full day. So I generally don't get to see her more than 3 or maybe 4 times a year.  Flying isn't an option as its 45 mins to the airport, then I have to park, pay to park, adn take the shuttle to the terminal. The flight itself is only 50 minutes, but then its another 45 minute drive to her house from the airport. When you factor in time to get through security, etc., driving is actually a better option.

What's funny is that now the 3 hour drive from my hometown to college seems like nothing compared to the drive to my moms!

I have a small group of HS friends who all live near where we grew up, some withing blocks of each other, and Im about 45 mins away. Generally speaking, I only get together with them on weekends, as during the week between traffic, and so on, its not worth it.

And if mom and I are traveling, driving is the only way, as she's in a wheelchair, and its the easiest way. She drives, with hand controls, so we can split it. Last fall, we drove from VA to Nashville, and next fall we are driving from VA to Lake Geneva, WI. I am not particularly looking forward to that trip, but its to meet up with her college friends, and I don't know how long she will be able to do this, or they will still do it.  They do it every other year. Thankfully, I found a ferry across Lake Michigan, so its 2 full days of driving, plus an hour, 2.5 hour ferry ride, and then another hour or so there. I think I can handle that :)

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »
I live in Boston, and the joke goes that the most impressive part of Paul Revere's ride was that he was able to cross Boston in under an hour... :P It does feel painfully true sometimes! (Especially since I live in a rather inconvenient part of Boston...) Generally if it takes more than an hour to get somewhere, I'm going to be hanging around for a while to catch my breath.

My commute is around 45 minutes, which is probably my limit. I could do more, but I'd be pretty grumpy at the end of the day. I do frequent 3.5 hour road trips to In The Middle of a Boatload of Mountains, New Hampshire for the weekend. Things are different up there... it's 45 minutes to the nearest grocery store, and 75 minutes to the only decent pizza place.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »
I have a 50-70 minute daily commute (depending on if the kids are in school or not - school buses slow things down a lot). It's not a big deal for me, but DP was totally freaked out when she realized how early I'd have to leave - I'm more nonplussed, since I can listen to audiobooks in the morning and talk to my mom going home.

We, as a couple, drive about 6 hours each way monthly to take my MIL grocery shopping. This is a 'leave Friday after work, come back Sunday afternoon' trip for us. My family used to be 18 hours away, when we were in Arkansas. We did it in one shot, trading drivers as needed (although we did usually set up an air mattress in the back so we can sleep when we're not driving). This too wasn't a big deal - we've done it a few dozen times over the last 8 years. DD is 10 hours away from us now - we made the trip as a long weekend many times when we were house hunting out here, and it wasn't a huge deal unless we did it more than one weekend in a row.

Now too long? That was when we drove from Little Rock to Scottsdale, AZ. 1300 miles, most of it desert. Wow, what a LONG boring trip. It was for a week long church conference, though, and we didn't have a choice - flying was too expensive. We're going to that same church conference this year, in Chicago - it's only 800 miles, so we should be fine.

Have I mentioned that we've put over 100k miles on our van in 6 years?

nuit93

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »
I have a 6 mile commute to work that I can do in 10-15 minutes depending on traffic and lights...used to be twice that but the office changed locations to my benefit :)

I regularly drive into the city (Seattle) from where I live, depending on traffic this is anything from a twenty-minute to 1.5 hour drive factoring in things like which part of the city I'm heading to, if there's a game happening, how long I have to look for parking *sigh*.  But I don't consider this excessive and often give myself ample time to plan for it.

I once drove from Seattle to Idaho in a night with a friend of mine, it was summer and he was wanting to be with his family as his grandfather had just died.  Long drive, sure, but it didn't even cross my mind to NOT be willing to do it.

I'll be going to Sacramento this summer and will likely be driving as the last flight I took was dreadful.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
I used to live in a decent-sized city, where 45 minutes could get you from one end of town to the other (not during rush hour, of course). Those days I would have said that 2.5 hours was ok, but anything longer was far.
Since moving to NorthernTown (population 900), where it's 300km to the nearest city, my views have changed. If we want to do any shopping that isn't for groceries, we have to load up the Jeep with extra fuel & survival gear, and drive the 300km gravel highway to the neighbouring town. Even then, the only stores there are Mal-Wart, Canadian SuperStore, and Mark's Warehouse. Anything else and it's back to my home town. It's a 14-hour drive in good weather to get to my old home town, and we do that in one day. Now, when we take a trip to the neighbouring province and it takes 3 hours, it goes by in a blink!

misha412

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »
I am going to be driving from North Carolina to North Dakota in the next couple of weeks. About 20 hours one way.

That is a LONG drive.  :o

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »
Bearing in mind I moved from geographically Big State to Tiny State...

I commute around 40 minutes, from a rural area into Tiny State capital CBD.  Around 40km.  Same time in Big State I went 15km.  So the commute is further, but similar time-wise.

I'm a keen motorcyclist, and nowhere is too far on a bike.  The trip itself is more often the reason than the destination.  The other day I put in nearly 500km, just because.  I hurt afterwards*, but that is expected.  Biggest one day trip I did was around 1,000km and that really, really hurt.  I followed it up by another 500km trip the next day.

My other vehicle is a Landrover, and I love it to bits as well.  Anything over around 300km is a reasonable trip.

The locals down here think I'm mad.

*Sore bum, sore shoulders, wrists and knees (damned arthritis!)  Neck ache.