Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Party Responses - 1 Out of 5!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: peaches on January 02, 2013, 11:03:20 AM ---Well, you don't just have to wait and wonder. You can contact the parents, either by phone (my preference) or email.

That's what I do whenever I don't get rsvp's. Which is often - it's a modern phenomenon, unfortunately.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. If you really need to know, just contact the households for confirmation.

I acknowledge a host shouldn't have to do this, because people should reply; but when people don't reply, it's such a simple thing for the host to do (usually), and if they really need an exact head count, contacting the guests to ask will save the host a lot of angst.

To avoid getting into a discussion about whether the 12-13 year old can RSVP for themselves--just say you're calling to confirm, because you need to be absolutely certain as to the final number. You can talk to either the girl or the parent, whoever answers the phone--if someone says yes at this point and then doesn't show, I think they are being either rude or clueless.

jpcher:
I do think that you need to contact the parents for confirmation/permission.

Mostly because there will be hands-on-body from a stranger (massage.)

I'm surprised that the masseuse doesn't require a signed parental permission form in order to give a massage to minors.

I think that your idea for the party is absolutely wonderful, but I would want written consent from the parents before proceeding.

CYA . . . know what I mean?

Jaelle:

--- Quote from: MariaE on January 02, 2013, 12:40:50 PM ---At age 12-13 my parents no longer RSVP'ed on my behalf to parties I was going to - that was all on me. I could see such an expectation had the children been <10, but at this age they're old enough to respond for themselves.

--- End quote ---

But a 12-13-year-old wouldn't be going to parties with no input/OK from her parents, presumably. And 12-13-year-old don't usually make plans for their families, and they certainly can't drive. So how would the OP know that the parents had had that input unless they responded?

I also would want the parental communication. jpcher makes a good point too.

Sparkle Star:
Just to confirm.... I did put a 'reply by' date on the invites and it was my details for the RSVP, not my daughter's.

Several of the girls live half an hour or so away and will need their parents to bring them to our home and collect them the next day - maybe my experience is different, but 12-year-old girls aren't generally independent in making their social/travel arrangements around here. (We don't live near a big town or city and are in a rural area.)
I also wanted to be sure the parents were aware of the practical considerations, such as remembering to bring a sleeping bag etc.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the parents' contact details so have asked Daughter to re-confirm with her friends that they are coming - it's this Saturday and as they've just been on holiday from school for two weeks, with all the excitement of Christmas and New Year, it won't necessarily be uppermost in their minds.

It also did occur to me that there might be reservations about a hands-on treatment from the therapist, so the invitations did state the options and I tooke care to say that she is someone I know, trust and have used myself.

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: Sparkle Star on January 03, 2013, 08:21:55 AM ---Just to confirm.... I did put a 'reply by' date on the invites and it was my details for the RSVP, not my daughter's.

Several of the girls live half an hour or so away and will need their parents to bring them to our home and collect them the next day - maybe my experience is different, but 12-year-old girls aren't generally independent in making their social/travel arrangements around here. (We don't live near a big town or city and are in a rural area.)
I also wanted to be sure the parents were aware of the practical considerations, such as remembering to bring a sleeping bag etc.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the parents' contact details so have asked Daughter to re-confirm with her friends that they are coming - it's this Saturday and as they've just been on holiday from school for two weeks, with all the excitement of Christmas and New Year, it won't necessarily be uppermost in their minds.

It also did occur to me that there might be reservations about a hands-on treatment from the therapist, so the invitations did state the options and I tooke care to say that she is someone I know, trust and have used myself.

--- End quote ---

My age 12 or 13, I might not see the actual invitation.  My DD would just tell me she had received one, confirm if she could attend with me, and I'd confirm she had RSVP'd. And she would have RSVP'd to her friend via text, phone, or in person.

If getting a parental RSVP is important to you, then I would state on the invitation that a parental RSVP must be communicated to you and not to your DD.  (And then hope and cross fingers that the child actually did read that part of the invite.) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version