Author Topic: So today I acquired a new kitten! UPDATE IN OP  (Read 1311 times)

MOM21SON

So today I acquired a new kitten! UPDATE IN OP
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »
A few young male kitten.  I will spare you the details of how he came into my hands. He has a vet appointment tomorrow.  I spoke to the vet tech and she said he sounded like he would be fine.  He is eating soft kitten food.

He loves being held and has explored a little while being watched.

When I picked him up about noon, he had a very messy accident all over me and in the box I put him in.  A 45 minute car ride covered in cat mess.  but well worth it.

I do have a question.  It has been awhile since I have had a tiny kitten.  Do they sleep a lot like babies?

Kitten has been to the vet.  Vet says between 5-6 weeks old.  To young for shots plus that he is a little runny.  So he will go back in 2 weeks for his first round of shots.

He gave/sold me some medicine that I have to give him for 5 days for his issue.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:51:13 PM by MOM21SON »

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: So today I acquired a new kitten!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
A few young male kitten.  I will spare you the details of how he came into my hands. He has a vet appointment tomorrow.  I spoke to the vet tech and she said he sounded like he would be fine.  He is eating soft kitten food.

When I picked him up about noon, he had a very messy accident all over me and in the box I put him in.  A 45 minute car ride covered in cat mess.  but well worth it.

I do have a question.  It has been awhile since I have had a tiny kitten.  Do they sleep a lot like babies?

congrats! You know you are required to post pictures, right?

To answer your actual question - yes they do. They are the most fun when they fall asleep right in the middle of whatever they were doing.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
Yes, they do:

Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

MOM21SON

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
Thank you both so much!  That is exactly what he does.  just falls asleep in the middle of whatever.

nayberry

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:23:30 PM »

congrats! You know you are required to post pictures, right?

To answer your actual question - yes they do. They are the most fun when they fall asleep right in the middle of whatever they were doing.

+1 on the pics request :)

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
Yes, they sleep TONS! I have two cats who are 5 and 6 years old and they probably spend about 90% of their day sleeping. They are fat and lazy; although they do run and play quite a bit while awake.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »
+2 on adorable kitten pictures!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
They definitely sleep a lot! As long as when he IS awake, he is active and playful, and he is eating and drinking, lots-of-sleep is fine. (If he sleeps all the time and when he's awake he just sits staring at the floor, and won't eat, that's concerning. Little kittens get dehydrated quickly and once they are they won't eat/drink on their own.)

MOM21SON

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
He is very alert and curious when awake.  He just used the litter box, but still, um, very messy and stinky.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »
He is very alert and curious when awake.  He just used the litter box, but still, um, very messy and stinky.

He could be stressed from the move, or he could be adjusting to new food (if he's not eating whatever he was eating before you got him), or he could need some de-wormer. Make sure to mention it at his vet appointment and they'll probably give him something to help, like a pill or some squirt-in-the-mouth medicine.

veryfluffy

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »

You aren't giving him milk to drink, are you?

doodlemor

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »
It sounds like his diet may be too rich for him, or maybe a recent change has got his little system upset.  You might want to check with the vet on what to feed him.

It sounds like you have a wonderful new member of your family.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
sounds lovely, kittens can be such fun.

But we really can't gush properly about the new kitten until you share pictures with us :)
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

MOM21SON

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
No milk, just water and the moistened kitten food.

I wanted to add that I have had cats my whole life.  Just not a baby in awhile.  Probably a year or more and I had 4 so I can't remember if they slept this much.

IMO, this baby is 5-6 weeks old.  We will see tomorrow.

There were 4 and they all have been homed.

Oh, is it easier to post a pic now, or do I have to do the photo bucket thing?

Ok, I uploaded a photo to photo bucket but can't remember how to post it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:12:34 PM by MOM21SON »

MOM21SON

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »