Author Topic: Where to have a shower?  (Read 608 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Where to have a shower?
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »
I asked this over on Hell's Bells (http://www.weddinghellsbells.com/smf/index.php?topic=116872.msg2703420#msg2703420) but have not yet received any replies, so I thought I'd ask here, too. I figure any ideas generated could be used for baby showers, if any e-Hellions have one of those on their radar. I don't mind in the least if this becomes a "oh here's a neat idea" thread. :-)

So, I am getting married in May, and my MOH wants to throw me a bridal shower, and we're looking at the last weekend of Feb in Denver (or surrounding area), and neither of us has any idea where to have it. She doesn't live here, and I've only ever been to one bridal shower, which was at a winery tasting room.

My biggest concern is that I will get very self-conscious if the whole thing is about watching me open gifts. I went to a baby shower once at an upscale bowling alley, which was a lot of fun - people could bowl or not if they wanted to, there was food & drink available, and watching the parents-to-be open gifts was only a small part of the fun.

So, does anyone have any suggestions to offer - either specific, if you know the area, or things to look for in general? I thought maybe a paint-n-sip type deal might be fun, but I've never actually been to one much less to a party at one. Thoughts?

Thank you!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

QueenofAllThings

Re: Where to have a shower?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »
If it's not at someone's home, your best bet is a private room in a restaurant or catering place or hotel.  People will happily sit and watch you open presents - it's just one of those things you need accept  ;D

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »
Something that might help you feel less self conscious is to have the guests play Bridal Bingo. If you do a google search for it, lots of ideas/templates come up. Basically your guests have all different Bingo cards, but instead of B5 or N45, it has things like 'toaster' or 'sheets'. Your guests still watch you open gifts but they're also excited about getting the Bingo. That worked for me, at my shower.

Basically most showers I've been to follow pretty much the same format. The MOH welcomes everyone and people can start getting food. Maybe your guests play a game, like a word scramble or something, and then you start opening gifts. Maybe have someone serve cake partway through the gift opening. Maybe play another game and that's it!

If your MOH doesn't want to have the shower at her house, a restaurant or community center party room are both standard locations. The bowling alley sounds fun!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »
Where to have a shower?

In the bathroom.

Thank you! I'm here all week..... ;D

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:02 AM »
Not so much an answer to the "where" but maybe a "what" that could make you more comfortable.  We had fun at a shower where there was a table full of scrapbooking supplies - paper, punches, stickers, etc.  Guests who wanted to could make pages that the GOH could add pictures to later.  It kind of gave them busy work as she opened gifts.

onyonryngs

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
What about a brunch at a restaurant?  Mimosas make everything more fun. I've never been a huge fan of the games, but I do like the scrapbooking idea.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »
If you are a church going person - you could see if you could arrange to have it at your church (in some small towns, the churches and the school may be the only places with space for larger gatherings - I grew up in small towns in West Texas - at least some of them didn't have restaurants or hotels - a few had a gas station & a post office - no groceries except for what the gas station "shoppette" sold and "eating out" involved a sandwich & a soda from the cooler at the shoppette).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:18 AM »
The key is activity. Either one that's inherent to the location (bowling, painting, wine, whatever) or something you bring (I hate most of the wedding games, but I've seen a few non-obnoxious ones - designing small wedding dresses for dolls with fabric glue and scraps and such, a 'which dress is ugliest' competition with bridesmaid dress catalogues, those sort of things). Otherwise, yes, it's a bunch of people staring at you while you open presents (and if there are few presents and more gift cards or checks, then a bunch of people staring at you, full stop).

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I can't imagine this will be a big enough thing to require anything like a church or a school hall, but that's a great idea for anyone who has a lot of invitees who live in the same town.

I like the ugly dress competition, and the making of dresses could be a lot of fun, too.

Thanks!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture