Author Topic: A topic sends me into a malware warning...oh dear!  (Read 2240 times)

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
A topic sends me into a malware warning...oh dear!
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »
This is the topic http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=123611.0

And here is a screenshot of the warning I'm getting.

Is this safe to ignore, or is there an ad that needs to be examined?

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
Re: A topic sends me into a malware warning...oh dear!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »
I had the same warning about the picture thread in the Coffee Break folder. I was certainly not going to click on that. Then a few days later, I tried again and was able to access the discussion without any problem. Go figure.  ::)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:54:56 AM »
I got the same thing.  I figure it was someone's profile picture or signature or something. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
I had the same warning about the picture thread in the Coffee Break folder. I was certainly not going to click on that. Then a few days later, I tried again and was able to access the discussion without any problem. Go figure.  ::)

The offending ad had been removed, either by Etiquette Hell or the advertiser - maybe the contract ran out? The new ad was not dangerous, so the warning by Chrome (or McKaffee - whatever you are using) was not trigured.

The TARDIS

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »
Odd, I'm still getting the warning, and I don't want to click ignore just yet. I'm using a 'new' hand-me-down computer and I would just hate to have it break down before I've fully enjoyed it.

Does anyone have a sonic screwdriver to zap the darn thing? :)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
I'm getting that screen when I try to go to page 3 of http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=118787.15 "so...food pictures on facebook are rude now?"
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »
I'm getting that block as well, regarding www.picturesof.net. Is someone maybe using something from there in their sig or avatar?

When I google www.picturesof.net, every page that comes up is listed as unsafe.
ďPoetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.Ē PBS

squeakers

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
I'm getting that block as well, regarding www.picturesof.net. Is someone maybe using something from there in their sig or avatar?

When I google www.picturesof.net, every page that comes up is listed as unsafe.

For me it is page 4 of the topic twiggy posted (only doing 9 posts per page).

"Google Chrome has blocked access to this page on www.etiquettehell.com.
Content from www.picturesof.net, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your computer with malware."
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

The TARDIS

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
It happens to me on the first page.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
It's not in a sig file or photo or all of us would be getting the same alert when we viewed the same thread and page.   I do not get the malware alert when I've gone to the pages people have been reporting.   However, my security software blocks access to picturesof.net so I know it's working.

I suspect it was in a Google Ad.   However, the way ads are delivered by Google is by your cookies and surfing.  I can see a completely different series of ads than someone else. The only way to know which ad it was is to take a screenshot of your monitor, not just the malware warning, so I can see what ad is displaying on your monitor at the time of the alert.  I can then block that ad and contact Google.  Google does a very good job of identifying bad ads and removing so I suspect if it was a Google ad, it is gone now.   Clear your cache and history, reboot and there should be no more problems.

picturesof.net has been blocked by me today. 

The TARDIS

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »
Here is the screenshot http://i.imgur.com/Tm3U2.jpg

My computer didn't scream at me with malware alerts. Thank goodness for that. Chrome was giving me the warning, which gave me the fright. I prefer to surf with adblock and ghostery for privacy and speed's sake, and I still bumped into the warning despite them being able to block ads and trackers. To still get the warnings with those extensions functioning gave me quite a fright.

I cleaned out all cookies except those that keep me logged in and I still had the warning. Is it possibly a malfunction in Chrome? (Seeing as others get the same thing, I do wonder about Chrome having a little bug in its system that dislikes picturesofdotnet.)

Thank you.