Author Topic: Playing doctor? How to respond..  (Read 14281 times)

rashea

• Super Hero!
Re: Playing doctor? How to respond..
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
OP, I'm sorry you're going through this. Add me to the list of people you should feel free to PM if you need to talk.

I think your best option is to give the book back and tell your sister very clearly (write it out and practice in the shower if possible) that the discussion is closed.

And if someone doesn't take the bean dip and asks why you changed the subject I think you can say, "I changed the subject as a polite way of letting you know that I consider this topic to be out of bounds for us."
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »
I think your best option is to give the book back and tell your sister very clearly (write it out and practice in the shower if possible) that the discussion is closed.

And if someone doesn't take the bean dip and asks why you changed the subject I think you can say, "I changed the subject as a polite way of letting you know that I consider this topic to be out of bounds for us."

Perfect.

Ladybugs

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2013, 10:51:29 PM »
Rashea ,  thank you  :)

Ladybugs

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2013, 10:57:15 PM »
Some off beat but tempting responses I fantasize about:  buying her a doctor costume,the kind they sell at halloween ....sending her a self help book on some random disorder with a note tgat I will read mine when she reads hers.... >:D   

wyliefool

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »
With these relatives, no wonder you have anxiety!  >:( I'll bet you $10 that if you quit talking to them for a while you'll feel a lot better. Once you're no longer being found lacking next to the 'golden child,' you just might find yourself able to relax and enjoy your own accomplishments.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
With these relatives, no wonder you have anxiety!  >:( I'll bet you $10 that if you quit talking to them for a while you'll feel a lot better. Once you're no longer being found lacking next to the 'golden child,' you just might find yourself able to relax and enjoy your own accomplishments.

AMEN!

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »
Evil Jo would like you to send her the Three Shades of Grey trilogy with the explanation that she obviously needs something else to focus her attnention on.  >:D

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »
Evil Jo would like you to send her the Three Shades of Grey trilogy with the explanation that she obviously needs something else to focus her attnention on.  >:D

*snort*  Oh, I like this one.  Not that I'd really do it.

And I completely agree with wyliefool.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »

*snort*  Oh, I like this one.  Not that I'd really do it.

And I completely agree with wyliefool.

Evil Jo had a secondary thought of sending her a book on OCD, because she is clearly having issues with obsessing about topics which don't concern her. >:D

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Minmom3

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Evil Jo has a fine mind there.....  I like that one!

I think the idea of OP limited time spent with the unsupportive family is an excellent idea.  Very self protective.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....