General Etiquette > Techno-quette

reciprocal facebook liking

(1/4) > >>

Knitterly:
This is a tale of two businesses.  The short version of the question is this, if a family member has a business page on facebook and likes your business page, is there any obligation to like their page in return?

Here's the long version with background.  I posted a thread back in July about a family member with a business.  Thread is here.  That family member is my brother in law, Bill.  I generally dislike Bill for many reasons, small and big.  To be perfectly honest, until last night I'd forgotten all about Bill's business.  I still think his business plan is weak and the business cannot last long.  It's based on an internet meme - one that has already had it's day and is all but forgotten now.  Suffice it to say, Bill did not become the instant rich man he thought he would.  I don't know how well the business is doing, but I do know that money is tight for him, so I cannot imagine it is doing very well. 

I am facebook friends with Bill because he is family and I like seeing updates about his kids.  They are cute and I love them.  Bill invited me to "like" his business page.  I did not.  Honestly, it's really not my thing, I don't understand it, and I prefer to keep my business likes for things I don't mind showing up on my newsfeed and for things I actually like.

So, I also have a small hobby business.  My business plan and focus is very different from Bill's.  To compare the two would be like comparing apples and oranges.  I'm not in it for the money, just to share my creations.  Several friends encouraged me to create my own facebook page for my business, which I did.  I invited most of my family members and those of my friends interested in my hobby to "like" the page. 

Bill "liked" my page.  But then he sent me a note.  "Hey, you never liked my business page.  You better return the favour."  Until he sent that message, I'd actually completely forgotten that his business even existed.  I just politely ignored it and was very busy with LK when it came up at the beginning.  Most family members just smiled and nodded.  It's been so long since I've heard about it that I really thought it was over.

Here's the thing, I don't consider it a favour.  You like someone's business page because you are interested in seeing their updates, deals, new product, and things that are happening.  If you're not interested in keeping up with what is happening with the business, you don't like the page. 

I wonder if I am being rude?

First, I actually have no intention of liking Bill's page.  I still think his business idea is dumb.  It doesn't appeal to me.

Second, I don't know if or how to respond to his message.  Facebook now shows you when someone has read your message, so I know he knows I've read it.  If I could get away with it, I wouldn't even bother replying.  But I feel like the fact he knows I've read it makes it rude for me to ignore it.

So, once he liked my page, did that create an obligation for me to do the same?

MrTango:
"Liking" a page is an endorsement of that business (whether intentional or not).  If you don't want to be seen as endorsing that business, don't click the "Like" button.

No matter what the business has done for you, you're under no obligation to "like" their page, just as no one is under any obligation to "like" your page.

Yvaine:
"You better"? Yikes, I sure hope he meant that lighter than it sounded and this is just a case of tone not translating! He sounds insufferable.

--- Quote from: MrTango on January 03, 2013, 10:30:28 AM ---"Liking" a page is an endorsement of that business (whether intentional or not).  If you don't want to be seen as endorsing that business, don't click the "Like" button.

No matter what the business has done for you, you're under no obligation to "like" their page, just as no one is under any obligation to "like" your page.

--- End quote ---

This too.

Knitterly:

--- Quote from: Yvaine on January 03, 2013, 11:27:04 AM ---"You better"? Yikes, I sure hope he meant that lighter than it sounded and this is just a case of tone not translating! He sounds insufferable.

--- Quote from: MrTango on January 03, 2013, 10:30:28 AM ---"Liking" a page is an endorsement of that business (whether intentional or not).  If you don't want to be seen as endorsing that business, don't click the "Like" button.

--- End quote ---

This too.

--- End quote ---

He is a little insufferable.  I generally dislike him.

So far, I have neither replied nor liked his page.  Part of me feels like I should reply.  But.. what to say?
"Hey Bro,  I hope you didn't mean that how it sounded.  lol!  Just wanted you to understand that you really don't have any obligation at all to like my page if it's not your thing.  I just wanted to separate it out from my personal page.  "
Then just continue to politely ignore his business.

Then again, I am wondering if my ignoring is not so polite after all.  It's just really not my thing.  I don't get it.  So, maybe I should add a sentence like "As for your business, I'm glad it's going well for you.  I never really understood the meme it's based on, so it's not really my thing."

How does that sound?

TootsNYC:
Just ignore it. Don't start something.

If he brings it up AGAIN, then say, "I don't 'like' very many businesses, Bill. Sorry. Feel free to unlike mine if you wish."

Don't bring anything else into the issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version